All Is Lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Is Lost

A hundred and five minutes of Robert Redford on a boat, braving the elements. Almost no dialogue.

It started so slowly and uneventfully that I had mentally decided it was a turkey by the half-hour mark. Then it just gradually built and built, to the point where (giving nothing away) I found myself genuinely moved by the final ten minutes or so.

It won't be for everybody, but it rewards the patience in the end.

All Is Lost

Spoilers******

I loved the mechanics of it. How he tied the rope around himself in order to venture out onto the bleeding-tennis-shoes-rust-coloured container to try and waft it away. That was brilliant. Redford was salt-scared tremendous. Methodical and taciturn when he could have gone all whoo-ah! And this is from the director that did "Margin Call"? OOf. I'm looking forward to his next film.

Comment

All Is Lost

I thought it was really remarkable. Probably would have been better on the big screen, bit still. Definitely memorable. I won't ever sail alone (or at all) any time soon.

****spoiler****+
      I watched it soon after seeing Captain Phillips. In that film, it showed that small craft show up on the radar of the big tankers and they pay attention to everything. But in AIL, the big ships never notice that he's within a few hundred yards.

Maybe it depends where they are and what they expect.

Comment

All Is Lost

My wife saw this and absolutely loved it.

Comment

All Is Lost

Just watched it on Netflix.

Very good film. Didn't think they still made them like that. Robert Redford was excellent.

The ending is very good.

Comment

Working...
          X