Wreck-It Ralph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wreck-It Ralph.

Which I watched yesterday in the company of my young niece & nephew, and may I say what a joy it was.

Wreck-It Ralph.

It was enjoyable enough when I watched it, but having avoided computer games all my life I imagine quite a few of the references went straight over my head.

Comment

Wreck-It Ralph.

One of those rare precious metals of a movie that had the unholy matrix of

(A) Dig-Dug low levels of expectation.
      I said to myself "how the Donkey Kong could a video game movie be anything different than any Paul Anderson Mortal Kombat movie, where the characters in the game end up having more soul, character development, and recognizable human traits than in the movie ?"

What I didn't count on was my depth and breadth of video game history, of which I got $10 in quarters for one birthday (then cried when it was gone in 14 minutes - before I got really good at Pro Wrestling when I could play it and get the high score on any machine in the country wanting to eat at Pizza Hut for those Ms. Pac Man table-top machines; getting Pac Man or some other game for all of my formative birthdays when my childhood was quite happy, and Christmases were great; and taking my daughter to Chuck E Cheese over the past 2 years and playing those first-shooter huge attacking insect games.

(B) Having Voices Outshine the Zaxxon Action.
      Too often in previews they advertise Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz as the voice in a movie, which is utterly idiotic because they're not famous for their radio faces and no one pays to hear their voices. But John C. Reilly's dazed-from-too-many-concussions-from-falling-on-his-head-from-getting-wedgied look on his face is complemented by his "where's my mommy, why is she always drinking that brown water with the black label on the couch all day with a cigarette and bathrobe when I'm in my wet diaper" voice. His voice is as important to his career as his face. So when Wreck-It Ralph has John C Reilly's voice and kind of looks like him, it makes for a much deeper connection with the character.

He becomes not only a hero of a video game, he kind of becomes this great cinematic hero amongst any movie. It's dizzying how great the character is.

Then Sarah Silverman, a comic of whom I don't have much time for in real life, is in the same situation. She's able to have a raspy tyke voice, and it matches the character perfectly. The lesson is if you want great characters, get great character actors.

(C) The Metal Gear Solid Plot.
      I mean really. Did you see that coming ? That was up there with the Crying Game or Sporloos/Vanishing.

Wonderful film. One I've seen 6 times so far, and still can't believe that they pulled it off.

Comment

Wreck-It Ralph.

I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed, given that it had been hyped to high heaven by people (OK, podcasters) whose tastes in things I generally share. I should be in the target (adult) demographic for this movie, and I liked it OK, but I doubt I'll be watching it again. Which is pretty rare for a good animated movie.

Comment

Wreck-It Ralph.

jasoń voorhees wrote: (B) Too often in previews they advertise Brad Pitt or Cameron Diaz as the voice in a movie, which is utterly idiotic because they're not famous for their radio faces and no one pays to hear their voices.
          What I've noticed for many years is that a lot of animated movies push the vocal talent but Disney/Pixar rarely ever do this, preferring to rely on the characters and storylines to carry the show.

Obviously I may be a bit biased here...

Comment

Wreck-It Ralph.

Good point. They've also been the most successful at merging voice talent with character. Tom Hanks/Tim Allen were perfect as Woody and Buzz, Billy Crystal and John Goodman as Mike and Sully, Kevin Spacey as Hopper, etc.

You have to wonder if they write scripts for the actors, based on their personas.

Comment

Working...
            X