Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

I'll try and watch 'Lawrence of Arabia' later this week, but I absolutely loved him in 'My Favourite Year'.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

He was damned powerful in "The Ruling Class." Also enjoyed him in "The Stuntman."

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

For some reason I always mixed him up with Richard Harris.

He was a great Pope in The Tudors.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

One of the greatest. Not only as an actor, but one of the truly interesting to watch in an interview chair.
          O'Toole and Ian McKellen are definately two I would instantly think of if I could arrange a dream dinner with 6-8 from the stage/movie business around a table, having a nice long chat about anything and everything until dawn. Mostly listening.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Hopefully "My Favourite Year" will get a xmas showing.

He stopped supporting Sunderland after we moved from Roker apparently. I can think of a million better reasons than that.
            He was on the lash in Soho on the friday before the 73 FA Cup Final and got chatting with a bunch of Sunlun fans. They couldnt believe it when he regaled them with tales of his grandfather and fathers days as bookies living in Hendon (Sunderland version). he knew street names and a few pubs around Roker and the town centre. The fans had a spare ticket so he tagged along to the final. So he's had more fun watching them than me.

Apparently he was related to Sunderland born Ernie Taylor who played for Newcastle-Blackpool-Man Utd-Sunderland through his mothers side. Taylor joined Utd after the Munich crash.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

My Favourite Year was a great little movie. People who were subjected to the tyranny of crap sitcoms in the late 1980s will have wondered how Mark Linn-Bake, who played O'Toole's character's chaperone could have ended up as straightman Cousin Larry to the awful Cousin Balki in the quite ghastly Perfect Strangers.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Thought he was very good in The Last Emperor. That's possibly one of the greatest films ever made.

I thought he must be well past 90 by now, seeing as he's looked so old for so long. But "only" 81. After reading all the health problems he's had for the past 40 years, it's amazing he was able to continue to perform at such a high level.

Ernest Blythe rejected him at the Abbey in Dublin because he couldn't speak Irish. Don't put fascists in charge of theatres...

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

I also loved him in My Favourite Year - one of my top ten movies of all time.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Cal Alamein wrote: He was damned powerful in "The Ruling Class."
                    An excellent call.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

He was really just so astonishingly ,effortlessly (it seemed), and monumentally good Lawrence of Arabia, it has always made it difficult for me to put any other performance (by anyone) on the same level.

But let me plug the under-rated Lion in Winter to go along with his younger version of Henry II in Becket...

and I really hope I'm not making it up, since I can't find proof this happens, but one of my favorite scenes in any movie for pure audience reward is when Hepburn's Queen brings up Becket with O'Toole's Henry II in the later movie.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

If anyone can find a greater entrance on to any TV show I'd like to see it!

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Saw him on stage in Pygmalion with John Thaw at Leicester Haymarket Theatre.

Comment

Peter O'Toole. RIP.

Squarewheelbike wrote:

If anyone can find a greater entrance on to any TV show I'd like to see it!
                            That is amazing. Particularly how David is bringing him a ladder and Peter just doesn't need it.

Comment

Working...
                            X