Future film & TV projects news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future film & TV projects news

I've just read an article about how Netflix has bought the rights to The Chronicles of Narnia and have Greta Gerwig signed on as a director.

I thought it might be good to have a general news thread for stories like this.

Peter Jackson is going to do a new Lord of the Rings thing just about Gollum. Called "the hunt for Gollum" or something like that. There's also an animated film coming about the backstory of Rohan. I have no idea what that will look like. I hope it's cool.

But I believe Warner Brothers has signed on to do the core LOTR stories all over again. I'm assuming as a TV streaming series, but they're just going to run back the original story even though the films from ~25 years ago still hold up.

They're going to do the same with Harry Potter, as if that brand isn't tarnished by its author.

In the past, remaking a 30-year-old film or TV show could make sense, especially if there were a lot of special effects, because the new version would just look a lot better and younger people probably hadn't watched whatever the older version anyway because it just wasn't available. For example, when I saw the 80s Twilight Zone film, I'd never seen the TV show. It just wasn't on TV very much in the early 80s.

That's basically how newer Planet of the Apes worked. The original looks pretty good for it's time, but the motion capture apes do look better than people in masks. And they didn't tell the exact same story so it wasn't directly comparable.

But fans, even younger fans not born when they were released, are pretty happy with the LOTR and Harry Potter films as is. And because of streaming, fans have seen them a zillion times and kids have seen them too. Nobody is really clamoring for an update or a remake. For example, I recently went to a big-screen showing of Fellowship of the Ring. It was packed and I'm confident no more than a quarter of the people there were alive when that film was originally released.

But even if these new versions are absolutely mindblowingly brilliant, the popular discourse will be about how they "ruined my childhood." Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, so the hardcore fans that review-bomb everything online are never going to be happy with the remake. It's nearly impossible to convince fans to just accept a new version on its own terms.

And, since these are both based on massively popular books, there are tons of textual originalists who object to any slight variation from the text as if fidelity to text is what makes a movie good. Sure, most film adaptations are not as good as the books, but some of them are better, because films and novels are different mediums.

Besides, a film version of any of the Lord of the Rings books (or the later Harry Potter books) that cover every chapter in detail will will just be too damn long to be commercially viable as films trying to bring in families and kids hopped up on Twizzlers and Pepsi.

Of course, streaming TV series may be able to overcome that limitation by breaking it all up into chapters, but then the problem becomes cost.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-05-2024, 03:20.

Comment

I recently watched the trailer for the new The Crow reboot, which is about 25 years in the making. It looks unbelievably violent and nasty, so I think I'll skip it and I don't recommend watching it. The song playing over it is some kind of Ozzy Osborne remix.

But I made the error of looking at the comments. It was 95% sad fanboys my age complaining that it clearly is not going to be as good as the original and that kids these days have terrible taste in music compared to us in the 90s.*

I have seen the 1994 film The Crow several times. I did that so you don't have to.

I can tell you that it is not a great film. It may not even be a good film. The sequels are even worse. Either way, it is not something to be precious about. This is not like they're trying to remake The Godfather set in contemporary Phoenix. I feel sad for people for whom this is really something to be concerned about.

To be fair, the original does have a good soundtrack (the second one's soundtrack was a bonafide hit, as I recall) and some of it looks cool if you're into that kind of highly stylized blackness that was also featured in Dark City and The Matrix. Very 90s.

It was, of course, hindered by the death of its star during production and, while I hate to speak ill of the dead, Brandon Lee was not a brilliant actor. He was pretty good at martial arts and his dad was Bruce Lee. That's why he, as opposed to 1,000 other white guys trying to make it in Hollywood, got this part. His loss is devastating for his friends and family, but not for film as an artform.

At the time, I imagined the film might have been great if they didn't lose their star midway through production. But sometime in the early 2000s, I actually read the comic and, based on that, I don't think there's really much reason to think a reboot could do a much better job with it. It's genuinely sad - inspired by a tragedy in James O'Barr's own life - and is packed full of Joy Division lyrics (I don't know if they got royalties), but it's not exactly an all time classic of graphic storytelling. It's just a bog-standard revenge story with a bit of magical woo tossed in.

I think it became a cult favorite primarily because in the days before the internet allowed subcultures to link-up-internationally, US suburban goth kids didn't really have anything else in mainstream pop culture other than stuff that just made fun of them (SNL) or demonized them (the post-Columbine right-wing moral panic).

And while I don't really understand teenage goth culture, I can respect that.

Unlike most comic-book adaptions of that time or, for that matter, most of popular youth culture at that time, The Crow wasn't trying to be arch or ironic. It took itself seriously.

I liked that aspect of the story for the same reason I liked Depeche Mode's "Blasphemous Rumors" or The Smith's "How Soon is Now." Yes, they're troweling it it on a bit thick and those lyrics bear a striking resemblance to the maudlin poetry that appeared in high school literary zines at that time. But there was so much toxic optimism - to borrow a contemporary phrase - in US youth culture in the 80s, that morosity felt like a breath of fresh air by comparison, even if it was poorly articulated.
      ​​

*YouTube is full of those comments. Nobody ever gets the irony that our parents said the same thing and so did their parents and so did their parents going back at least to the 19th century.

I'm not sure what's on the soundtrack for the new Crow film. Maybe it will be good. Maybe not. But I don't expect films aimed at teenagers in 2024 to have music I like. I'm middle age. That's how it works.
      Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 16-05-2024, 05:45.

Comment

Good news in ABQ! Vince Gilligan is making a new series.

https://www.krqe.com/news/albuquerqu...lm-new-series/

Comment

Is it about Kim Weixler?

Comment

I think it is a fair point that remaking something from the past is increasingly difficult when everyone has access to the original. Nothing can truly be "cult" or "underground" anymore in the way a Buckaroo Banzai was. Is. Whatever.

I absolutely adore The Crow. It's not a great movie, but it has that something where the sum of its parts greatly exceeds the whole. It works in the context of what it is trying to do and deals with the limitations of budget, acting, main star being dead and so on. There is no need for any of the sequels or indeed the remake, which basically seemed to be the Suicide Squad Joker mixed with a load of needless violence. It's a fucking love story, not a superhero story. But then I was 17 when I saw it.
            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 16-05-2024, 09:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
              Is it about Kim Weixler?
              Doesn’t say, but as it is to feature Rhea Seehorn, perhaps. Her character in better call Saul was a fascinating one, and she is an excellent actress.

Comment

It feels like a good plan. She’s a great character, and actor. She’s live at the end of Saul, but because she’s not in BB the fact that we’re now 15 years past the start of that isn’t an issue like it would be for some other characters

Comment

She’s not in BB because she was working for a pool supply company in Florida all that time. She could come back to ABQ and continue the story.

Comment

How did she avoid going to jail at the end of BCS?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                      I have seen the 1994 film The Crow several times. I did that so you don't have to.

I can tell you that it is not a great film. It may not even be a good film. The sequels are even worse. Either way, it is not something to be precious about. This is not like they're trying to remake The Godfather set in contemporary Phoenix. I feel sad for people for whom this is really something to be concerned about.
                      I was actually watching it the other day and agree with your sentiments. But it did also remind me about Michael Wincott (Top Dollar) having incredible decade-long run spell of chewing scenery and being diabolically evil in at least one film every year (1492, Three Musketeers, the Crow, Strange Days, Metro, Alien: Resurrection, Along Came A Spider, Count of Monte Cristo, etc).

The go-to guy for evil villains in the 90's!

Comment

I enjoyed both seasons of Tokyo Vice and it sounds like a third one may start filming as early as this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          How did she avoid going to jail at the end of BCS?
                          I think because Saul copped to all of it. I’d have to rewatch it to recall for sure.

Kim tells Howard’s wife Cheryl what really happened, but says there isn’t going to be enough evidence to prosecute her. He said she could still sue and I think it’s left indeterminant if Cheryl decides to do that.
                          Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 22-05-2024, 04:56.

Comment

Originally posted by big dog View Post

I was actually watching it the other day and agree with your sentiments. But it did also remind me about Michael Wincott (Top Dollar) having incredible decade-long run spell of chewing scenery and being diabolically evil in at least one film every year (1492, Three Musketeers, the Crow, Strange Days, Metro, Alien: Resurrection, Along Came A Spider, Count of Monte Cristo, etc).

The go-to guy for evil villains in the 90's!
                            He’s a Hall of Fame “That Guy.”

Comment

Working...
                            X