Ideas to Pitch to Channel 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to have a cookery game show format where members of the public challenge Gordon Ramsey to cook a piece of meat in a certain way, then a panel of experts decides whether Gordon or the contestant has cooked it better. Could be, I don't know, Roast chicken one week, Veal escalopes the next, etc.

I'd call it "Beat Gordon's Meat". Or maybe "Gordon Says, Beat My Meat!".

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again -

“Celebrity 633 Squadron!”

I win.

Comment

"Somalian Sommeliers" where Oz Clarke and Jilly Goolden attempt to rehabilitate a crew of pirates by taking them on a tour of the various vineyards in the south of France. This being Channel Four, though, said pirates would have to have either Merrick-like physical deformities or pronounced mental health issues.

Comment

Mini Müller Rice

Anneka Rice is flown to Munich, where she is given the keys to a Mini. She has only eight hours to track down FC Bayern forward Thomas Müller.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Mini Müller Rice

Anneka Rice is flown to Munich, where she is given the keys to a Mini. She has only eight hours to track down FC Bayern forward Thomas Müller.
          You see your mistake there? You ruined it after your first six words.

Comment

This thread reads too much like too many genuine development meetings I've attended over the years.

'Popular' lifestyle format How Clean is Your House? was apparently the result of a throwaway comment following such a meeting: it was green-lit within a month.

I knew I had to get away from TV for a while when I heard about that.

Comment

Holmes Under the Hammer

Members of the public take it in turns to hit Eamonn Holmes with a hammer.

Comment

Stumpy Pepys wrote: Holmes Under the Hammer

I'd watch that.

Comment

I think I mentioned this once before, many years ago, but...

An ex of mine (who was once a writer for the Hull Daily Mail, triv fans!) was a genius for this kind of thing. In their childhoods/early teens, she and her little brother had, in order to entertain themselves, created this character called Roger Mamrang, who was basically an even-more-lunatic version of Alan Partridge (only this was many years before his advent). They'd fleshed out his entire life story in brilliant and tragic detail. One day at her flat, she got out this box containing some remaining notes they'd written about him, including how he'd somehow become employed by the BBC at one point and was responsible for the creation of a string of ill-fated series.

I remember these were all hysterical, but I've forgotten most of them. However, I do recall...

Cat-a-maran: Two teams, each of three celebrities, have to pilot a catamaran out from a harbour (different each week) around a buoy and back again, before a panther escapes from a cage on board the craft. (Cancelled after 3 episodes, when the insufficiently-drugged panther escaped prematurely due to a shoddily-built cage and killed David Hamilton. Charlie Drake escaped by shimmying up the mast and Jan Leeming threw herself overboard.)

This was the running joke - every single one of these series was cancelled after 2, 3 or 4 episodes due to some horrible fate befalling a B-list celeb.

I'm chuckling as I think of it all, though I just wish I could remember all of them. Curse my addled brain!

Comment

That ex of yours evilC had quite the inventive mind. Looks like she and perhaps her brother missed their calling in life, they should have been TV programming executives!

Your post took the winds out of my sails as I was going to suggest Partridge's ideas of Inter City Sumo and Monkey Tennis!

Comment

Was it not Inner City Sumo? Either would work just as well I guess.

Comment

dalliance wrote: Was it not Inner City Sumo? Either would work just as well I guess.
                        haha, you are absolutely right, it was Inner City Sumo.

Comment

InterCity Sumo would be awesome; on the roof of an express train at 125mph.

Comment

Or fat former West Ham hooligans from the 80s.

Comment

Having read, too long ago to remember, how much it costs to produce one episode of Big Brother, I came up with a scheme for a far more economical and entertaining reality show.

Basically each week you get a team of three of the weirdest and wildest dickheads available to hand, strap head-mounted cameras onto them, give them one-tenth of the Big Brother episode budget in cash, and send them on a night out. You could even take the idea on the road, so one week they're out and about on the streets of Manchester, next week a group of hopefuls is trying to rustle up a good time in Stranraer.

I'd watch it, anyway.

Comment

Alternately, just a live stream from the bonnet-mounted camera of a car driving slowly around our city centres at 3am on a Saturday morning.

Comment

Mongol Hoards:
                                  Two for the price of one voyeurism, the mentally disabled and OCD rolled into one as people with Downs Syndrome are persuaded to end their compulsion to hang on to everyday items.

Comment

Paul Vault
                                    People called Paul compete in a wide ranging series of contests involving jumping over things.

Comment

This thread put me in mind of Lee & Herring's TMWRNJ.

Comment

quoththeraven wrote: This thread put me in mind of Lee & Herring's TMWRNJ.
                                        Fixed the link for ya.

Comment

Smallcaps wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys
                                          Holmes Under the Hammer

I'd watch that.
                                          I'd apply to be in the queue.

Comment

longeared wrote: Paul Vault
                                            People called Paul compete in a wide ranging series of contests involving jumping over things.
                                            Swimming Paul

People called Paul participate in a swimming gala. With Charlotte Rampling and Ludivine Sagnier.

Comment

The plans for a future war.

Comment

Four Looms
                                                Set inside a Victorian mill, four teams have to design, build and operate their own loom to weave cloth. They then take the cloth to a series of individuals and attempt to negotiate the best price for their work.

Comment

Deal Or No Deal
                                                  Contestants compete against each other selling the illegal drug of their choice, with the winnewr earning a trip to Kent.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X