• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dark Knight, or Ledger's Last Ride

Batpod;

I'm-not-getting-paid-until-Monday.

Comment

Are fans of the comic getting excited about this then? I didn't think they would be, considering Alan Moore's standpoint and the way his comics have been butchered in the past.
      It's the usual drill. Some, like me, are looking forward to seeing how it turns out and like the visuals that have been shown so far. However, as usual, many fanboys with blogs are doing their usual bitching and moaning. If a film (or, in this case, the film's trailer), isn't exactly like the comic they'll say that its horrible, a disaster, a sellout, shit, sucks, whatever. It's very tiresome, actually, so I don't read those blogs.

There can be a "cry wolf" problem with those types of nerds. The studios think "Oh, the fanboys are never going to be happy, so we'll just do whatever we want" and then we end up with crap like that awful Catwoman film, the Schumacher Batman films or, to a much less crap extent, the most recent Superman effort.

Fortunately, with the success of Spider-Man and the last two Batman films, the trend in Hollywood is to stick fairly closely to the source material while also trying to make a good film.

Alan Moore isn't involved in this, but that's got more to do with his falling out with Warner Brothers over his rights to stuff he did for DC and his overall weirdness. It doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't like the script. He probably hasn't read it.

V for Vendetta wasn't butchered. The film wasn't as good as the comic, but only by a bit. Its not really that great of a comic.

The film of From Hell bears such little resemblance to the comic that it can't be said to be an adaptation at all, so it's not a butchering of the original. The only things the two have in common are the title and the general subject matter of the Jack the Ripper murders. I've only got about a quarter of the way through the book. It's about 7,000 pages and has a lot of endnotes. The film wasn't great, but at least Johnny Depp is very good in it.

I never read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but I gave up on the film about 10 minutes in. That might count as a butchering.

Comment

I liked V a good deal better at the cinema actually. I found it better paced, more morally ambigious, and less misogynist.

Comment

Yeah, all of those things, but the book had more about V's experience at the concentration camp, which I thought helped the character, and a bit more on the background of how Britain became fascist. Even though all of that in the book was supposed to have happened in the 1980s, I thought it gave the whole story a bit more depth.

Comment

I watched the 1989 Tim Burton Batman film last night and in comparison that really sucks ass.

Comment

Maybe "butchered" was the wrong word: "turned to shit" is probably what I should have said.

Comment

That doesn't make it any more accurate.

Comment

I respect your right to have an opinion.

Comment

Ha ha pwnd Reed LOLZ!!!!!!111111oneoneone

Comment

Fail

Comment

Reed, Gyuri, anybody in DC in the near future:

It is now playing at the Air & Space Imax on the mall. 5:35 and 8:35.

I definitely would be up for a viewing. (Best days would be Tuesday and Thursday.) I could make either time.

Comment

I think I could do that. I'd slightly prefer the later viewing simply b/c it will be easier to get there, but I could do either.

Comment

JtS wrote:

I didn't find the plot as hard to follow as some of the people on the thread. I must have missed the suggestion that Batman was going to rescue Rachel but the Joker had switched the addresses. It made more sense to me that the dark knight would make a decision based on what is most important to him, that being the best interests of Gotham, rather than Rachel.
                            I thought the same as you originally but subsequently they repeat the adress Dent was actually at (225 West 50th or something similar) over and over again to drill home the point that The Joker had said Rachel was there.

I thought the bullet into the concrete thing was quite straightforward. The real one had shattered, so he needed to try to piece it back together to get the fingerprint by imitating the shot. Just like finding the instructions to put a jigsaw together.
                            Er, what?!

Can someone please explain this bit to me really simply as I can't grasp either of the explanations given on here and it was one of the things I left the cinema wondering.

The other was who the fifth person Dent killed was as referred to by Gordon and Batman as the "five deaths" that need to be pinned on somebody. I count the two corrupt cops and the mob boss and his driver, who else?

Overall it was a really, really good film and I'd add my awe of Ledger's performance to everybody else's (happily, as I was worried he was doing a panto Joker like Nicholson's in the trailer). With all the comparisons to Dean, young Nicholson and De Niro mentioned here and other places the actor itmost reminded me of was Brando. I don't get to as many movies as I'd like but I would really like to see any performance that beats it to the Oscar

I do agree with the comments on the sound mix though (either on the edit or by individual cinema), I was very glad that I saw it alone in a relatively empty screen so I could concentrate on making out all the dialogue.

Oh, and I presume the Chinese money man died on the dollar bill pyre? It wasn't made explicitly clear as far as I could see.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:

If I were the captain, I would have had everyone get into the life boats or whatever and abandon ship. They could signal to the Coast Guard and the other ship with an Altus Lamp or whatever.
                              The Joker said he would blow up both ships if anyone left either of them though.

I have just re-read your explanation of the scene where Wayne fires multiple bullets in to different bricks. Are you saying he was trying to find a bullet that made the same sort of hole in the brick as the shattered one did so that he could know what shape and size bullet for the computer to recreate the pieces in to and reveal the fingerprint?

That makes sense, if I really force myself.

Comment

Two-Face spared the second corrupt cop, Ramirez, didn't he - she got the lucky coin toss? Do we know for certain the mob boss died too?

Comment

I could probably do a viewing there any day, so pick a time that works for you and I'll join you.

Comment

Reed/Gyuri: They don't have a show this Thursday (though that would have worked well), but next Tuesday they have a 5:45. Is that doable?

Comment

5:45 is too early for me, unfortunately.

Comment

The best option for me on the late show would be 8:45 next Friday. Here is the schedule:

http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=21156&venue_val=202321&ev ent_val=J2DK

But I could maybe swing another time if it was better.

Comment

I don't think I can go next Friday, as I'm likely to be on my way up to NYC. But if it's the best time, you two should go then.

Comment

I'm not really picky. The late show seems to be limited to Fridays and Saturdays though.

Comment

Working...
                                            X