Rush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rush

I've not seen a thread about it anywhere.

May I say, I enjoyed it enormously, and thought it very well done

4/5.

Rush

Saw it last night
    Really good

A (rare and long overdue) boys film that Frau Kannon also enjoyed

I'd love to get the dvd just to learn more about the characters, we've been youtubing to watch more footage from the era - not many films have that effect.

Comment

Rush

Been lookig forward to this.
      If you can call it sports, it's one of the few which works well in movies.

Comment

Rush

Thoroughly enjoyed it, was 13 at the time and thought Hunt was the bees knees. A year later I thought he was a square long hair and not as cool as The Clash!

Comment

Rush

Squarewheelbike wrote: Thoroughly enjoyed it, was 13 at the time and thought Hunt was the bees knees. A year later I thought he was a square long hair and not as cool as The Clash!
          Yeah. I was probably a little bit older, and thought Hunt wonderful, and Lauda the incarnation of evil.

It's amazing, isn't it, when you grow up and realize one was a consummate, albeit detached, professional and the other a complete tosser.

Both of whom were very, very good at doing their jobs of driving dangerous racing cars very fast indeed.

Comment

Rush

I really liked it and hadn't heard of either driver before learning about the film. F1 isn't very big in the US and I was born in 1972.

It made me a bit sad that there is no longer an F1 race at Watkins Glen. If there were, I'd definitely try to go to it.

Comment

Rush

Reed: They're planning to hold a race here in Hudson County sometime in the next couple of years. They had it scheduled for next year, but Dave Coulthard came and did a couple of test laps and told the towns of Weehawken and West New York that they would need to get the road surface sorted out before the race could happen here.

Do you still have friends in Hoboken? Traffic around here will be a nightmare, but from there you could take the light rail and be in the middle of the action. Plan ahead though, I predict a madhouse.

Comment

Rush

I don't think it will be a madhouse. It's not like there's millions of Italians with Ferrari obsessions in North Jersey and NYC.

Comment

Rush

I do have friends in Hoboken.
                  I was under the impression that race wasn't going to happen.

Comment

Rush

Not seen the film yet, but for those who don't follow the sport closely there was a tragic loss yesterday when leading sportscar driver Sean Edwards was killed in a testing accident in Australia. The link here is that Sean's father Guy was one of the drivers who pulled Lauda from his car at the 'ring, and Sean played him in some parts of the film, as well as acting as advisor on the racing scenes.

Comment

Rush

Reed John wrote: I really liked it and hadn't heard of either driver before learning about the film. F1 isn't very big in the US and I was born in 1972.

It made me a bit sad that there is no longer an F1 race at Watkins Glen. If there were, I'd definitely try to go to it.
                      The Glen was a fantastic track for F1 at the time. Very quick, very challenging. It's considered one of the best F1 tracks of all time, in fact.

Comment

Rush

Reed John wrote: I do have friends in Hoboken.
                        I was under the impression that race wasn't going to happen.
                        Sad to say, I think you are correct: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130824/f1/130829891

Oh well. It would have been a pain in my ass anyway.

Comment

Rush

Saw that TRL. What's sad is that he was coaching the driver as a passenger.

FF - That was actually in August. A few weeks later it was put on the F1 calender. However, it's a week after Monaco, which seems to be a little bit insane for teams to have a day or two to ship their cars across the Atlantic and set up for a brand new track. Originally it was for the week after Montreal.

Reed - I saw Indycar at Pocono last year and it was a really neat race. I'd be willing to go again this July. Tickets are pretty cheap. The cars are very comparable in speed to F1.

Weehawken already built the pit garages.

Comment

Rush

I haven't noticed them, if they're on River Road--but I've only been as far as Port Imperial, so they could be somewhere farther down.

The timing does seem improbable.

Comment

Rush

Not to continue the Port Imperial March, but...

Valencia Street Catch Fences to be moved across the Atlantic.

This Vid has a drive-through of the track. It starts with the garages under construction.

Thine Garages.

Comment

Rush

Thanks. Those buildings that you see after turn 13 (approaching the hairpin) is where I live. I'm in the leftmost tower.

What's funny about the garages is that I thought it was just a parking garage for the ferry. So it was right under my nose the whole time. haha!

Comment

Rush

Finally watched this last night, having bought the DVD.

I was 11-12 when this season was happening, and it's the first I really followed. I can remember where I was when we heard of Lauda's crash (Cornwall on holiday) and where I was sitting to watch the Italian and Japanese GPs.

I was nervous approaching the film, especially about a guy who played Thor as James Hunt. But I thought Hemsworth did a decent job. As for Brühl, it was almost surreal. He just got Lauda.

Really excellent, the original and new race sequences interlaced brilliantly. So often movies fail to convey live sport well; this was seamless. But it was so well done that I was actually quite upset by the crash - recovery - comeback sequence. It was just so real.

The section where Lauda hitches a ride back from the party with the girl in her Peugeot is just lovely. A lovely illustration of what Ferrari drivers mean to the Tifosi.

As a kid who was a complete Hunt devotee, even at that young age their was a slight hollowness to Hunt's championship win. Yet somehow this film manages both to enhance Hunt (the driver) and his championship in my mind, while increasing my admiration of Lauda. i also like the fact that he helped with it.

Outstanding.

Comment

Rush

The dichotomy seemed at times a tad forced, such as the fabricated scene at the hangar, but I agree on the racing scenes; they are the most realistic sport scenes in teh history of cinema. The attention to detail was painstaking, from the advertising boards to the cop uniforms in the different countries. The actors also managed to capture their subjects admirably.* All in all a very impressive effort.

*Brühl actually got personal tuition from Lauda himself, not only on how to speak with an Austrian accent, but specifically on how to speak like Lauda.

Comment

Working...
                                    X