• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films You Haven't Seen That Everyone Has Seen

Top ones that I haven't seen off the IMDB list:
    12 Angry Men
    Schindlers List
    One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest (have read the book)
    Goodfellas (saw about half before a scratch on the disc forced me to stop)
    Seven Samurai

I am fairly sure that I have seen all of The Sound of Music but never all in one sitting

Comment

Sam wrote: Obviously Janik's last point about user votes explains it and etc. and so on, but The Departed being 153 places higher than Infernal Affairs just shows how little discernment people have at times. Lunatics.
      Word.

The highest placed one on the IMDB list that I haven't seen is 12 Angry Men, the first one I haven't heard of is Witness For The Prosecution.

Comment

Witness For The Prosecution is good, but very definitely betrays its origins as a play.
        A courtroom drama, unsuprisingly. With a twist ending.

Comment

I have never seen any of the films from any of the following franchises:

Die Hard
          Rocky
          Lethal Weapon
          Terminator
          Police Academy
          Rambo

I’ve also never seen:

The Sound of Music
          Gone With the Wind
          Total Recall
          Schindler’s List
          …and many, many more (obviously).

I have, however, seen The Prestige, and quite enjoyed it, although I thought it a little derivative of Carter Beats The Devil, which I enjoyed as a book more than I enjoyed The Prestige as a film.

As Nolan films go, it was much better than Inception, which I thought was dire.

Comment

I'm a bit surprised, but encouraged, that the 12 Angry Men on the IMDB list is the 1957 original, rather than the TV remake. As decent as that was.

Comment

Die Hard
              Rocky
              Lethal Weapon
              Terminator
              Police Academy
              Rambo
              Were you in a coma during the 80s and early 90s?

Comment

Looking at this:
                http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

Of the top 100, I have not seen:
                The Shawshank Redemption (1994)
                The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)
                One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
                Seven Samurai (1954) (I may have and am confusing it with something else)
                City of God (2002)
                Se7en (1995)
                The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
                Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)
                Psycho (1960)
                Léon: The Professional (1994)
                Sunset Blvd. (1950)
                City Lights (1931)
                Modern Times (1936)
                Paths of Glory (1957)
                Double Indemnity (1944)
                Taxi Driver (1976)
                The Lives of Others (2006)
                The Great Dictator (1940)
                A Clockwork Orange (1971)
                Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
                To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
                Reservoir Dogs (1992)
                Amélie (2001)
                Cinema Paradiso (1988)
                Once Upon a Time in America (1984) (I've seen much of it, but never finished it. I don't recall why, I just know that I don't remember how it ends)
                Requiem for a Dream (2000)
                Full Metal Jacket (1987)
                Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
                The Sting (1973)
                The Apartment (1960)
                Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
                Oldboy (2003) (holding out for the remake)
                Bicycle Thieves (1948)
                Chinatown (1974)
                Singin' in the Rain (1952)
                Some Like It Hot (1959)
                All About Eve (1950)

The only ones on there I know I don't want to see are Resevoir Dogs, Silence of the Lambs, and Se7en (I know how it ends. That's rough). I've seen enough scenes from them and been told enough that there's not point now.

I stopped watching Clockwork Orange after the rapey bit. That just was just too horrific. I can tolerate heads being severed before I can stand to see a rape.

I haven't seen any of the old Clint Eastwood westerns.

I have no idea why I haven't seen Shawshank.

I've also never seen The Shining.

I'll watch anything that sounds remotely promising, including a lot of crap. The only entire genre that I skip are slasher-horror types. The only kind of horror that I like much are the ones like The Woman in Black where it's super-gothic and there are high quality creepy moments where the ghost or whatever slowly hoves into the background.

I find a lot of stone-cold classics really boring and when I try to watch them at home my attention waivers and I don't get very far. That's how Raging Bull was for me.

Comment

Reed (and anyone else who's not seen the Chaplin ones), if it helps and if you have the time spare, most or all of Chaplin's stuff is on YouTube at an acceptable quality. That's how I've seen Hard Times and The Great Dictator.

It's possibly a bit clichéd to say it, but the end of the latter, particularly when watched with an awareness of what was happening at the time the film was made and released, is magnificent and should be required viewing for everyone who does any kind of course on the arts commenting on or reflecting issues in society.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:

Die Hard
                    Rocky
                    Lethal Weapon
                    Terminator
                    Police Academy
                    Rambo
                    Were you in a coma during the 80s and early 90s?
                    I haven't seen any of them either. I just didn't go to the cinema to watch films made for American teenagers.

Comment

I haven't seen most of those for similar reasons.

I do, however, now 'do' Die Hard with students, partly cos I thought, foolishly, it was an open goal in terms of discussing representation.

You wouldn't believe some of the dribbling shite that we get as assignments. I partly attribute this to them simply being unable to adopt a critical distance from it, cos it's good/fun/I like it. But it may also be that my generation's refusal to see US teen 80s culture as automatically 'ours' has been overcome.

Comment

I haven't seen any of them either. I just didn't go to the cinema to watch films made for American teenagers.
                        Die Hard and Terminator are bona fide classics. They're among the best action movies ever made.

Comment

I'm considering watching bladerunner again. the first time I watched it I had been awake for nearly a week as a result of taking massive doses of hydrocortisone every six hours. I must say that it heightened my involvement in the film.

Sam is right about the sting. It's absolutely brilliant. I struggle with movies with robert redford in them, but Paul newman is one of my favourite actors, and on the plus side, at various points I was able to play most of the music in that film.

I'd say you can count the number of films made in the last five years, that I watched on the fingers of one hand. I have however watched multiple 13 hour series of television programmes.

Comment

dalliance wrote:

I also have never seen E.T.
                            Me neither. I was 9 when ET came out, and my parents never could get their heads round the fact that I wanted to see Gandhi instead.

Seriously.

Comment

Not a good choice though, cinematically speaking.

Comment

So coming back to the opening post of my thread, I have now seen Bladerunner and to be honest I was pretty underwhelmed. The visuals are wonderful of course as is the Vangelis score and Rutger Hauer is pretty charismatic, but I did find it incredibly slow going with a story that was not compelling in the slightest.

Comment

I know what you mean, dalliance, Blade Runner is not exactly packed with action, and when its most sympathetic character is a bloke who you know is about to die, you do wonder what the fuss is about. I think the atmosphere and visuals, though, are what make it a classic, a bit like Life of Pi (which was similarly beautiful to watch but plot-free apart from the mystical "whodunnit" cobblers at its end). It (Blade Runner) clearly inspired a whole generation of near-future scifi, in particular William Gibson, none of whose books have ever satisfactorily been brought to the big screen, either.

Comment

Not having seen Shawshank raises the biggest eyebrows amongst film bods
                                    Had to go back to this one... I would disqualify as a film bod anyone who thinks this is a truly great film. If they think it's a pretty reasonable yet ultimately forgettable film fair enough. If they think it's shite fair enough. But if they think it's a great masterpiece, then I suspect they just borrow their views from the averaging process on IMDB.

Comment

I agree with dalliance about Bladerunner being a little underwhelming actually. In this case I can see why some would think it great, but it's not one of my own favourites.

Comment

I keep meaning to, but I haven't got around to watching the Lord Of The Ring movies. Watched a bit of one that was on the telly once, but they were just walking for ages.

Comment

It's a wonderful life
                                          Casablanca
                                          Gone With the wind.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote: It's a wonderful life
                                            When I was sharing with a shrink some time back, I tried to explain the "Wonderful Life" thing - that I didn't feel I was Jimmy Stewart, and a world without me wouldn't have been very different after all.

He hadn't seen the movie, so now I don't see him.

Comment

This would be a lot easier if all of you told me what you have seen.

Comment

I keep meaning to, but I haven't got around to watching the Lord Of The Ring movies. Watched a bit of one that was on the telly once, but they were just walking for ages.
                                                I haven't seen any of them either, although I have had the first one recorded from the tv sitting unwatched for about 5 years now.

I have also not seen any Harry Potter films.

Comment

Everyone interested in American culture should see It's A Wonderful Life. And certainly any psychiatrist should see it.

But it may also be that my generation's refusal to see US teen 80s culture as automatically 'ours' has been overcome
                                                  I was an American teenager in the 80's and I don't accept that Hollywood's version of my culture is "ours."

Comment

Working...
                                                  X