Films You Haven't Seen That Everyone Has Seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blade Runner is on BBC4 tonight and I will be recording it as this is a film I should have seen, but just never have for reasons i can't really explain. I also have never seen E.T.

Wow, you're in for a treat in both respects.

I've not seen that recent Oscar-winning silent one that starred the dog. Something about it just didn't appeal to me. I also had no interest whatsoever in either of the biopics about the Queen or Maggie Thatcher, and I won't be watching the one about Diana.

Comment

You might like this, dalliance.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/30-film-tv/355034-films-that-everybody-s-seen

Comment

Only just saw all of The Wizard of Oz last year. Same with The Sound of Music.

Still haven't seen:

Grease
        Aliens
        any Lord of the Rings film
        any Batman film since the Tim Burton one
        any Spiderman film
        (I could keep doing this for any recent superhero film)
        Inception
        Blair Witch Project

Comment

I watch a fair few fillums, but I haven't seen most of the films mentioned on this thread or on the thread WOM's linked to.

I've never seen Star Wars, either.

Comment

If you've just favourably compared E.T. to Blade Runner, Mr. Fan, i'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to step outside and discuss it sensibly, in the street.

Comment

Incandenza wrote:
              Still haven't seen:

any Lord of the Rings film
              any Batman film since the Tim Burton one
              any Spiderman film
              (I could keep doing this for any recent superhero film)
              Blair Witch Project
              This list works for me.

You can also include:

Saving Private Ryan
              Schindler's List
              The Godfather
              The Shining

and probably hundreds of others.

Comment

Schindler's List
                ET

Comment

Saving Private Ryan
                  Schindler's List
                  The Shawshank Redemption
                  Wall Street
                  The Thin Red Line

And many more.

I suppose I have an aversion to movies that scream 'Oscar-bait' all over them. Or I'm just not in the appropriate mood or constitution of spirit to see them all.

Comment

I've a similar list to you, Ian (and similar reasoning). It's not that I don't watch Oscar-bait, but I know the feeling it can engender. Also, Spielberg films far too frequently veer into schmaltz or sentimentality for me, so I avoid them in a fairly passive way (if they're on and I'm couch-bound I'll watch em, but I won't go out of my way otherwise).

Not having seen Shawshank raises the biggest eyebrows amongst film bods (that's partly because I don't really like Tim Robbins - I also can't get on board with Tom Hanks, so haven't seen stuff like The Green Mile).

Having said that, often when I see a popular film that I've not thought I'd want to bother with, I do really like it. Avoided Amelie for years, and although it's cheesy as fuck, I really did like it.

Comment

I've a similar list to you, Ian (and similar reasoning). It's not that I don't watch Oscar-bait, but I know the feeling it can engender. Also, Spielberg films far too frequently veer into schmaltz or sentimentality for me, so I avoid them in a fairly passive way (if they're on and I'm couch-bound I'll watch em, but I won't go out of my way otherwise).

Yeah, the feeling of manipulation is something I'm a bit apprehensive about, the portentiousness of the way the subject matter is handled, the solemnity (sometimes) in which its approached and all the other elements that sometimes yell 'importance' at you. And the time-span. If it's around three hours long, someone wants Best Picture. However, I may do as you do, bite the bullet, and give it a go, but I'll stick to what I'd know I'd like at the moment. If that sounds like I'm a couch potato with all the aesthetic discernment of a sausage roll, well, okay, I am.

Comment

Any Orson Welles film (except The Third Man)
                        Any Charlie Chaplin feature

The Princess Bride
                        The Breakfast Club
                        Ferris Bueller's Day Off
                        Harold & Maude
                        Network
                        The Sting
                        Amadeus
                        Unforgiven

Comment

Given the nature of the objections, the one to watch is Schindler's List. It suffers from little (none, in my opinion) of the schmaltz or manipulation problems that Spielberg's commercially aimed films have. It is solemn, obviously given the subject, but its not portentiousness.

Comment

I haven't seen Kick Ass yet.
                            I refuse on principle to watch the 3 Rogin listed above (Queen, Thatcher, Diana).
                            Or the King's fu-fu-fu Speech
                            any of the Star Wars prequels

Comment

Blimey, not only have I not seen Harold & Maude, I've never even heard of it.

Comment

You've never seen this?

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: … and I won't be watching the one about Diana.
                                  Yes, but who will?

It's a bit like proclaiming you won't be watching Sex Lives of the Potato Men or Run For Your Wife with Danny Dyer.

Comment

Fussbudget wrote: Blimey, not only have I not seen Harold & Maude, I've never even heard of it.
                                    And you a film studies academic...

Five highest placed films on the IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen, at least partially;

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
                                    Inception
                                    Once Upon a Time in the West
                                    Casablanca
                                    Rear Window

I should probably do something about those.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote: You've never seen this?
                                      Not before today, no. I'm confused now, who's a film studies academic?

I have to say I must move in quite different circles from some of the posters on here. If I do a quick poll at my work tonight I'd be pretty confident that hardly anyone will have seen Network or The Sting. It might be an age thing, I suppose.

Comment

Fuss, that was a joke that this thread is rather like the Humilation Game. You raised the bar from not having seen to not having even heard of, so you win.

Comment

Ha, gotcha. As it happens I have read Changing Places so I really have no excuse.

Comment

via vicaria wrote: Not having seen Shawshank raises the biggest eyebrows amongst film bods.
                                            Having open the IMDb top 250 for the first time in ages, I see that Shawshank is now up to #1. That is madness. Without doubt it's a good film, but the best ever made? Has cinema been that bereft as an art form?

Comment

I have been similarly baffled by Vertigo's rise to the top of the critic's pile.

The film lends itself well to being the subject of critical theorising but that isn't the same thing as being the best film ever.

That's The Medusa Touch, obviously.

Comment

Janik wrote: Rear Window
                                                Rear Window's well-worth watching. Except I have one problem with this film — when given the opportunity to get down'n'dirty with Grace Kelly, James Stewart seems more interested in staring out the window.

I mean it's Grace Kelly FFS … one of the most beautiful women ever. You'd crawl over broken glass just to wank in her shadow.

Comment

Rubbish. The best film ever iss Golddiggers of 33.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X