Jaw-dropping "oh, it's him!" moments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an old episode of the Professionals on ITV4 at the moment, and the ruthless, ex-SAS, assassin is being played by the bloke who played Geoffrey Fourmile, the long-suffering estate agent neighbour out of George and Mildred.

I work in care and one of the people I used to work enjoyed watching Murder She Wrote on a Sunday morning. This was occasionally enlivened by the appearance of a (now) well known guest, most notably George Clooney.

Comment

I watched Platoon for the first time in years the other day and only then realised Johnny Depp was in it. As was Dr Perry Cox from Scrubs.

Comment

yer man from scrubs is charlie sheen's trading contemporary in wall st as well

Comment

Walt McCready from Justified = Hank Jennings from Twin Peaks

Comment

Not so much "oh, it's him", more "oh, this fuqer has taste":

Deadwood>Justified>Breaking Bad =

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: … the long-suffering estate agent neighbour out of George and Mildred.
              Brian Murphy improbably appears as one of Oliver Reed's torturers in The Devils.

Comment

As for jaw-dropping, it has to be seeing a fresh-faced Jack Nicholson in The Raven, the wonderful '63 Karloff/Lorre/Price B-movie.

Fetching clobber, too:

Comment

Geordie Michael from Alan Partridge voices Captain Barnacles in the Octonauts, that was a shock. For me.

Not him

Comment

Seeing Leonard Rossiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey is always a bit of a shock.

It didn't happen of course, but Billy Idol was being lined up to play the T-1000 character in Terminator 2: Judgment Day until his motorbike accident.

Comment

I've read that, but Billy also claimed to be in the running to play Jim in The Doors so maybe his agent just has an evil sense of humour.

Comment

Blackie Lawless from WASP was also apparently up for the T-1000 role too

Comment

The Professionals always yields a few surprises when it comes to fresh, soon-to-be-famous faces, such as when one episode saw David Suchet as a balaclava-wearing mercenary.

But nothing prepared me for a Minder episode which saw Derek Jacobi - not long after his memorable turn in I, Claudius - paying a scowling Cockney hood.

Comment

And on the subject of Suchet, a few Poirots had Stephen Mackintosh as a fresh-faced newspaper boy and, in one full-length episode, one of the first glimpses of one Michael Fassbender.

Comment

Seeing Leonard Rossiter in 2001: A Space Odyssey is always a bit of a shock.
                              Only good bit about it.

Comment

Actually, a few week s ago I was watching one of those Discovery Channel docudramas. It was on Nero (I think), and who should turn up as the titular role? Michael Sheen, he of Frost/Nixon fame. It was a pretty decent production, but I spent the whole time thinking Why is Brian Clough trying to murder his mum?

Comment

Watching the beginning of Superman 2 the other week, I somewhat surprised to spot Richard Griffiths as a terrorist planting a beumb in the Eiffel Tower.

Comment

I recall that, Slightly, but I think it was when Sheen was popping up in everything before his appearances began to even out into a steady line. Not as ubiquitous today, though.

Comment

I watched a few episodes of the early 80's Euston Films drama series Fox a while ago, and had to do a double take when I realized that the sleazy journalist was played by a very fresh-faced Bill Nighy.

Comment

ian.64 wrote: I recall that, Slightly, but I think it was when Sheen was popping up in everything before his appearances began to even out into a steady line. Not as ubiquitous today, though.
                                        Also known as The Stuart Maconie Effect.

Comment

I watched a few episodes of the early 80's Euston Films drama series Fox a while ago, and had to do a double take when I realized that the sleazy journalist was played by a very fresh-faced Bill Nighy.

I had the sonic version when listening to early radio adaptations of Yes, Minister, where Nighy played Jim Hacker's conscientious (and soon to be removed) administrative advisor.

On other 'blimey' moments: seeing Benedict Cumberbatch as a dopey office bod in an episode of Nathan Barley. Discovering Ewan 'Trainspotting' Bremner as a gay boyfriend of the son of Harry Enfield's straitlaced, socially-afraid dad in Harry Enfield's Television Programme, the very same show which also saw the distinguished Michael Kitchen also play a film director opposite Enfield's Tim Nice-But-Dim character.

Comment

I get this earlier than most, working in theatre. Sheen was that young Welsh lad in the Vanessa Redgrave play I did in '91. Probably too many to remember over the years, but still do the double take thing.

Comment

As if I could have wished for more, in today's Professionals it's the bloke who was 'Jacko' out of Brush Strokes, as a machine-gun toting armed robber who cross-dresses as a female hostage in an attempt to escape from his own siege. But Lewis Collins shoots him anyway.

Comment

I never got used to big Alf Roberts of Corrie corner shop fame playing a bad guy in Get Carter.

Comment

My mate is a devout Catholic, as was Bryan Moseley. He has a great story about Moseley's wrestle with the morality of being in such a film until his priest persuaded him the good guy won.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X