Corey Montieth is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corey Montieth is dead

Now the name itself may mean practically nothing to most, but the actor played the character Finn in Glee, and was only 31 when found dead in his hotel room, which makes the news somewhat of a shock. Obviously it wouldn't do to speculate on likely causes without any evidence, but suspect many teens and twentysomething females will be devastated today.

Corey Montieth is dead

My 18-yo daughter is pretty distraught and is listening to Glee songs upstairs. He had a nice clear voice and didn't bugger around stylistically by the sound of it. Not to belittle a tragic incident but if it had been Darren Kriss (Blaine) the holiday might be in jeopardy.

She knew within 2 hours via Twitter and it was apparently an OD. He had recently admitted then discharged himself from rehab. What a shame.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

The show had been renewed for two seasons, despite some rumblings about drops in ratings and quality. Will that decision now be reviewed? How do they write out the character?

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Given "the character" was by now at college for at least 6 years, wasn't he surely meant to be written out anyway?

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

And my youngest daughter (who is a huge gleek) loved the "don't stop brrreeathing" joke going round today, to the extent she's written it on her glee poster.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

It's not a good time for TV actors associated with "Don't Stop Believing".

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

"Don't Stop Bereaving" was also doing the rounds, which is better I think.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote: Given "the character" was by now at college for at least 6 years, wasn't he surely meant to be written out anyway?
                In the most recent season (which I am yet to catch up with), Finn and some of the other main characters had graduated but the storyline was following them outside of high school.

I think about half the original group may have remained at McKinley, clearly meant to be a year or two younger.

Monteith had a relatively plain voice (compared to some of the cast who had real vocal talent) but, as well as being the romantic lead, fronted 'Don't Stop Believin' (obviously) and 'Somebody to Love' which were huge songs in making season one such a phenomenon.

It's really horrible news for all the obvious reasons but also on a minor, selfish level I am going to have to discuss drug overdose deaths with my 11 & 9 year old daughters.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Are they really likely to find out the cause some other way if you just don't mention the cause of death, Harry? I mean 31 is pretty ancient for kids of that age.

As an aside, was Cory monteith related to Kelly monteith?

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

This has upset my kids somewhat, being loyal viewers of seasons 1 & 3 (purchased on DVD for them by their childless aunt). And it led to a quite good discussion of drugs, which - being hippy parents - we'd had with them a few times already; most recently when Amy Winehouse expired.

I sharpened the discussion somewhat, later, with my daughter (10) by saying "you know, in just a few years you're going to start going to parties where people are going to offer you things" and going from there. A good talk, and a necessary one I think.

Terrible waste of a decent person, this.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Did your children just totally miss out season 2, WOM? It had a real dip in quality compared to 1 & 3 but I would imagine not seeing it may leave the continuity a bit awry.

The reason I am only just finishing season 3 now is that the Sky box had the odd glitch and missed a few episodes and I am so anal I need to wait until repeats come around to fill in the gaps before resuming.

Of course, a parent needs to have the drug chat with their children and my wife and I are prepared for the fact the day will come but it's sad that one is forced to because someone who has been part of their lives since they were 8 and 6 has died in that way. Mind you, we're probably cosseting them anyway as we generally didn't let them watch the show, they just listened to the records and picked up on the characters via that.

Bored, I am pretty much certain that the cause of death will be minutely (if not informedly) discussed in my eldest's classes at least. I had forgotten about Amy Winehouse though, I certainly remember having the alcohol chat with them to some degree then.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Bloody hell, for someone whose milieu is the classroom, I am surprised. However, if children are that interested in an actor then I suppose the information is readily available for them to find out everything about them including cause of death. Of course, once No.1 Miss Truscott is in secondary school, it's open season on everything anyway.

Just checked and the PHSE guidelines are Y3 for smoking guidance, Y4 for alcohol guidance and Y5 for drugs.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Ah, by "classes" I meant informally amongst the children, "playground" might have been a better term.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

It may also be shocking to a kid to discover that drug addicts don't always look wasted in public. Monteith clearly had a normal, clean-cut persona. Drugs can kill anybody, there are no exemptions.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Harry Truscott wrote: Ah, by "classes" I meant informally amongst the children, "playground" might have been a better term.
                              No, you're alright, I got that. I just thought that a good comparison is the PSHE guidance. I haven't taken any PSHE classes apart from sex education so wasn't sure. Mind you, PSHE is a very moveable feast so those wouldn't be hard and fast rules.

Indeed, relevant to this conversation, while old-fashioned sex education lessons were set up to counter playground rumours and, to an extent, what children saw on TV e.g. Crossroads, PSHE is very much set up to counter misconceptions that arise from the internet as well as the above.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

satchmo76 wrote: It may also be shocking to a kid to discover that drug addicts don't always look wasted in public. Monteith clearly had a normal, clean-cut persona. Drugs can kill anybody, there are no exemptions.
                                Well, interestingly, the guidance I looked at had 'stereotyping' in Y6 using questions like "What does a drug user look like?" etc.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Maybe that shows how far the UK is ahead of the US, e.g. that guidance seems not to have reached the Zimmerman jury.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Well, I didn't tell you what the pictures in the answers showed

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Harry Truscott wrote: Did your children just totally miss out season 2, WOM? It had a real dip in quality compared to 1 & 3 but I would imagine not seeing it may leave the continuity a bit awry.
                                      They can simultaneously hold the opinion that God and ghosts makes no sense at all, but Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy are real and generous entities. So straddling the Season 1 to 3 continuity gap hasn't been much of a problem.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

As Groucho said, there ain't no Sanity Clause.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

WOM wrote:
                                          Originally posted by Harry Truscott
                                          Did your children just totally miss out season 2, WOM? It had a real dip in quality compared to 1 & 3 but I would imagine not seeing it may leave the continuity a bit awry.
                                          They can simultaneously hold the opinion that God and ghosts makes no sense at all, but Santa Clause and The Tooth Fairy are real and generous entities. So straddling the Season 1 to 3 continuity gap hasn't been much of a problem.
                                          Really? I applaud their perspicacity then. I still worry that having seen 'Cars 2' but not 'Cars' I have somehow missed too many nuances of plot and character development.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

If it's any indicator of quality, my son has watched Cars roughly forty times. He bothered with Cars 2 once. The original really is a treat.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

Really? Given the numbers you would think Cars is just regular every day business and Cars 2 is the treat. Or maybe Cars 2 is the punishment...

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

I'm not sure my own son doesn't prefer 'Cars 2' actually. I'm sure he's watched it more. Finn McMissile is certainly a more compelling character than those that have carried on from the first film.

Then again, his father prefers 'Die Hard 2' to it's predecessor.

Comment

Corey Montieth is dead

I feel a little bit bad that we've got on to discussing Finn McMissile on a thread about Finn Hudson's "death".

Comment

Working...
                                                  X