Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The World's End

Can't wait to see this.

Pegg, Frost, Freeman, Considine and the usual round of Edgar Wright regulars versus a town full of killer robots.

The World's End

I'm fingers-crossing-it that this will be good. I mean, the first two films in the Cornetto Trilogy were awesome, Sean of the Dead especially so. There appeared to be some major special-effects in that trailer, though, so I hope it doesn't rely on those too much. In my experience, comedies that do so tend to be big-time poo-eee.

Comment

The World's End

Trying to go to see this on Friday and none of the usual places I'd try in London seem to be showing it - Everyman, Odeon, IMAX.

Am I missing something? Do cinemas just not give times if a film is sold out? (I thought they'd show the time but mark it as sold out.)

Comment

The World's End

I hadn't got the "Cornetto Trilogy" thing until a mate pointed it out at the weekend. So by implication, zombies and killer cyborgs are in the same category as ... people who live in villages? Charming! Bloody Londoners.

Comment

The World's End

Crusoe: I'm seeing it listed at Everyman and Odeon cinemas, among many others.

Edit: Never mind, now I double-check it cuts off at Friday. It could just be the usual Friday schedule switchover.

Comment

The World's End

Watched it last night and was left a little disappointed. Just not enough belly laughs. Amusing, but whilst Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz would make me laugh heartily throughout, The World's End made me smirk from time to time.

Great performances throughout and typically well shot brawls, but I doubt i'll see it again on the big screen or even buy the DVD, and I usually watch Wright/Pegg/Frost productions on repeat.

Without giving anything away, I will say it's quite a dark film in tone, which is perhaps why there isn't so many genuine laugh out loud moments.

Comment

The World's End

I'm with Rob I think.

The acting and charaterisation was really good though with the majority of the group given enough to show and develop. It's just a shame that only extended as far as the lads. The female character was a bit of a cypher really.

Having a bit more time to consider I think it has a lot more emotional depth compared to the other two films. Some really rather moving moments.

Comment

The World's End

I haven't laughed this much in a cinema since I saw The Aristocrats about 10 years ago. This film is fucking laugh-your-bollocks-off genius, although as a middle-aged male with an inability to grow up, you could say I'm biased. Only criticism is that the (world) ending was a bit drawn out. Did I mention that it's very, very funny?

Comment

The World's End

IMP, you and me should have a drink with that Gary King blokw in the film. We'd have a right laugh.

Shame that zombie stuff intruded- though it was OK.

Comment

The World's End

It wasn't as uproariously funny as the other collaborations of this group, but it was very entertaining and definitely hit home given that it was about guys who finished school in 1990 (I am class of 1991). It was a bit dark and sad.

I agree that Rosamund Pike's character was a bit of an empty vessel, but that was kind of the point. She represented the What If? girl for at least two of the characters. Men tend to remember those women as idealized versions of who they actually are/were.

I didn't entirely understand the ending. Was he the real human King or was that the Blank version of him that they made with the DNA harvested by the Marmelade Sandwich?

I never knew that line about getting loaded came from this. I think it's been sampled on dozens of records.

Comment

The World's End

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. On first viewing I think it was better than "Hot Fuzz" but not as good as the imperious "Shaun of the Dead".

Loads of funny lines, the "WTF" and Gary King's line about the disabled toilet being proper laugh out loud moments.

I agree that the ending was a bit drawn out and I'm not sure if quite fitted with what went before.

In answer to RJ's question, my interpretation was that it was the real Gary King at the end, he'd banded together with the blank versions of the other guys so that he could exist outside of the "new" society and not conform to what was now normal.

Comment

The World's End

It was funny enough, not up Hot Fuzz in my book. I admit to being distracted throughout though, as the entire film was shot in Letchworth* and Welwyn Garden City, two towns me 'n' her indoors know very well. It was "Isn't that...?" "Nah, it's...!" "That's got to be...!" all the way through. I was convinced by the end that Bill Nighy's Voice of Doom, was Ebenezer Howard speaking from the grave.

*The inside ironic joke, of course, is that until recently Letchworth was totally dry. No pubs at all.

Comment

The World's End

Finally saw this the other week. Found it disappointing. The laughs weren't there, the story felt awkward and uncertain, and the slightly darker tone felt forced, like it was made by people adamant that it had to have an END OF A TRILOGY feel rather than standing alone as a film.

Comment

The World's End

Hmm. I thought the premise was contrived - I just couldn't believe that any of his ex-friends would actually turn up. And it didn't get much better. Soundtrack was good, though.

Comment

The World's End

Crusoe wrote: Finally saw this the other week. Found it disappointing. The laughs weren't there, the story felt awkward and uncertain, and the slightly darker tone felt forced, like it was made by people adamant that it had to have an END OF A TRILOGY feel rather than standing alone as a film.
                              It's not really a trilogy though, is it.

Whatever the film's faults (and I found it amusing enough, though it felt very much like an elongated TV show) I don't think any of them stem from the makers trying to tie things up from their previous films. It certainly doesn't require you to have seen it's predecessors.

Comment

The World's End

You're right of course, it's not a 'proper' trilogy. But it's always been a sort of thematic trilogy to me about friendship at different stages of life.

I'm vaguely overthinking it, but without wanting to sound like a bad slash-fic writer there's Shaun and Ed's different reponses to pressures to grow up, Angel and Butterman's deepening relationship and how they complement and help bring out the best in each other, and lastly Gary's immaturity and desperate attempts to cling on to a pre-grown up friendships with people who've moved on.

It felt - to me - like the makers wanted to draw it to a close, show characters who've ended up 'grown up' and moving on with their lives (Gary being the exception that proves the rule).

Mmm. Definite overthinking going on here.

Comment

The World's End

I found this amusing.

BuzzFeed suggests how the Anglo-American press would report the apocalypse.

Comment

Working...
                                  X