Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room 237

Anyone seen this?

If you haven't heard of it, it's a documentary about people's obsession with Kubrick's The Shining and the hidden meanings they see within it.

So various people see it as an allegory for the genocide of Native Americans, an apology for faking the moon landings, a film about the Holocaust, and many more.

I had really no idea so many people were so obsessed with this particular movie. I do like the film, with the caveat that Nicholson's descent into madness is too hammy by half. But I learnt three things from this documentary:

1. Kubrick makes deliberately ambiguous films
    2. Kubrick really does know how to frame a shot
    3. Confirmation bias is a powerful thing and gives some people some really batshit opinions

Room 237

Haven't seen it.

The Moon landings theory is excellent though. I recommend anyone to youtube them. The thing I love and look out for about a good conspiracy theory is the inventiveness of the story. That one's right up there in my favourites.

Comment

Room 237

"2. Kubrick really does know how to frame a shot."

The reason I could never love him as a filmmaker: he puts the picture over everything else. It always looked wonderful - amazing, even - but everything else going on was gravy. Like Mallick, that works fantastically when the story/idea is strong; like Mallick, it's och-maaaaaan when it doesn't.

Comment

Room 237

Luke R wrote: Haven't seen it.

The Moon landings theory is excellent though. I recommend anyone to youtube them. The thing I love and look out for about a good conspiracy theory is the inventiveness of the story. That one's right up there in my favourites.
        It's particular bonkers as it's pretty much based on two observations:

1. Danny wears an Apollo 11 jumper in the film (he does)
        2. 237 was chosen because the moon is 237,000 miles away (it's not)

And that's it. Doesn't stop the bloke droning on at length about it.

Comment

Working...
        X