Dexter - The Final Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a reminder, kids, that Dexter's final season is starting this weekend (Sunday @ 9pm in the US).

I don't have high hopes that I'm going to like it very much, but I saw a trailer the other day that actually made me feel a little more hopeful.

I just don't want it to end, but admittedly, there are only so many scenarios a story like that can support before he is either caught and incarcerated or killed (or retires to, well, not Florida and never kills anyone ever again).

WOW.

I don't watch Dexter, but we are getting it at the same time as you all are (possibly earlier?)

I don't watch Dexter because I missed the first few episodes, so I will do a marathon, sorry, snickers, when I have time.

(Same goes for 'The Wire'. I have the boxset. Still not sat down and watched a minute of it.)

Comment

I didn't start watching Dexter until last season and I had to do several marathon viewings to get caught up. I think that's why it's particularly sad that this is the last season, considering the many, many hours that I invested in it over a short period of time.

Comment

Just when you think Deb couldn't possibly be more annoying, she surprises you.

Comment

Her behaviour in Episode 1 makes no sense at all. Not that the last 2 series were any different. But they need her character to drive the implausible plot, which is being held together by chewing gum.

Comment

Eldest lad has been doing the marathon sessions in time for the new series, and while, watching occasionally over his shoulder, I have been quite drawn into it.

I avoided it before, as there just so many 'must see' multi series classics to catch up on, it missed the cut before.

But now having watched about 5% of the total episodes (bits of episodes, ends of series, fast forwarding through the Deb F fests, etc.
            I feel I am as much up to speed as I need to be to follow through this season. Some of the characters, outside of Dexter himself, I can't see the need to invest more time in ;but MCH as the big D himself is so wonderful, I back him 100% in all his decisions.

And it must be something about characters called Dexter and their annoying sisters that makes good TV.

Comment

And so it ends (maybe.)

It had been on life support since season four, and kind of limped to its conclusion over the next four. The show was given an artificial kick of adrenaline at the end of last year, but it really wasn't enough to sustain it through to a rather weak ending.

The thing with long-form TV is that you've got to know when to hold, and when to fold. Dex stayed in the game about twice as long as he should have.

Comment

I've hated, hated, hated this season. I think it's been terrible. Really not looking forward to the last two episodes (which we've yet to see).

The John Lithgow season (primarily because of Lithgow) is where I'm going to pretend this ended.

Comment

Yes, yes, absolutely. It's been the pits. Dexter has never been too worried about plot-holes, but this series is just nonsensical.

It hasn't helped that between the last two series, I went through a binge of watching 6 Feet Under. Which has the best last series of anything I've seen, and shows how good an actor Michael C Hall actually is.

Maybe they'll pull off some amazing last episode, but it's so hard to give a shit about any of it now.

Comment

Maybe they'll pull off some amazing last episode, but it's so hard to give a shit about any of it now.

Trust me. They didn't.

Comment

Yeah, that blew.

I would say that as late as season 6 it was still a morally interesting show. But boy has it ever lost the plot.

Comment

Original showrunner reveals how he had intended to end the series.

Comment

I think I might watch 6 Feet Under from the beginning. I haven't seen any of it, but I have a friend with similar tastes to mine who loved it.

Comment

Well, I was warned, but that was truly rubbish.

6 Feet Under might the best TV series I've ever seen FF - I can't recommend it highly enough.

Comment

Apart from anything else - the son shouts "HANNAH HANNAH HANNAH!" at every opportunity except when spending 60% of his waking time with his babysitter, in front of whom he's completely schtum about that and only that?

Has anybody involved with that show at any level ever met a Small Person?

Comment

Is it necessary to call out SPOILER ALERTS?

The plot holes were gaping. Why the hell would Hannah not just cut her hair, dye it, stick on a pair of big glasses and not be spotted?

And why did the marshall go inside the hospital instead of following Dexter?

Comment

I agree with you, G. The Hannah of the previous season wouldn't have been so stupid.

It was just plain sloppy writing.

Mitch: I started 6 Feet Under last weekend. I've only seen the first episode, but I'm looking forward to doing a marathon really soon.

Comment

Six Feet Under is great. Not Sopranos or Breaking Bad great, but Mad Men level excellence.

SPOILERS FOR DEXTER.

So I've just watched the final episode of Dexter and agree broadly with the not exactly glowing reviews it has had already on here. The last series was a bit like that generally really. It was messy and I found I was getting tired watching it and trying to keep up with all of the loose ends Dexter always had to tie up.

Was there a night he spent in the house with his son when he didn't have to get the babysitter to stay late so he could go and do nefarious shit? It was all so frantic and getting more and more stretched. For the first time in the show's entirety I was watching it as it was broadcasted with about 3 episodes to go and yet I have sat on the final episodes until the last day or two - not exactly desperate to see how things turned out.

Now I got on ok with Series 7 as I thought it really needed a major change in direction and Deborah discovering the truth about Dexter and how she handled it was a good place to go. There was no other direction for it really, they couldn't have had another season with a major villain arc and loads of smaller ones as they had taken that structure as far as it could possibly go with Trinity and the Bible tableaux fellow.

Had it finished with him being lost at sea then personally I think that would have been an acceptable enough ending, but the lumberyard sting at the end was a real eh???? moment. Overall I'm glad I stuck with it over the years at least.

Anyway, I have to go now. It's a windy night and I have some corpses to secret out of my local NHS hospital to my boat without anyone noticing.

Comment

dalliance wrote:
                                      Anyway, I have to go now. It's a windy night and I have some corpses to secret out of my local NHS hospital to my boat without anyone noticing.
                                      I knew it. I just knew it. You ARE Jeremy Hunt.

Comment

I'm not reading this thread. Just checking there is one to read when I get the last four episodes of the final season watched.

I'm very much enjoying the season, as well as I have all the others. Except three was a bit shit. I think it was three.

Comment

Is that the first proper view of his arse, in Episode 8?

Comment

Three to go. Didn't people say the whole final season was shit? Well, if they did, they were WRONG.

Comment

Jaysus. There is truly no accounting for taste.

Comment

It lives in the world of most stuff, between "shit" and "great".

Right, final ep, here we go.

Comment

Hmmm. Bit odd, that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X