Rather Rubbish Film & TV Claims to Fame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mrs mike's cousin's husband was the auctioneer in The Angel's Share. It's what he does for a day job.

I was in attendance at the christening of one of Leslie Phillips' grandchildren.

In unrelated news, he refused his granddaughter a free copy of his autobiography and made her buy it.

Comment

On the first date with a girl, she told me that her previous boyfriend was Gripper Stebson from Grange Hill.

Comment

I once worked with a rather charming and convincing lady who claimed to be an ex-employee at a Colombian TV news company and told me how she regularly got to interview the members of the national football team. Seeing how her journey of employment saw her interviewing high-profile Colombian footballers all the way to working at a data-measurement company in one of the less picturesque part of West Brom (and there's a few of those) baffled me, but she was quite erudite and with no little charm, and life throws up these weird little interludes.

Comment

I was in a security line with Dr. Ruth at BWI.

I've interviewed Dr. Oz.

I saw Willard Scott at Dulles Airport.

I saw ESPN presenter and ex hockey announcer Steve Levy in an airport. Can't recall which one.

Comment

I stood next to Bob Holness at a urinal at Watford Gap Services (northbound). I resisted the almost unresistable urge to say "I'll have a P please, Bob".

Comment

My mother used to sell lardy cake to Leslie Crowther.

Comment

Once sat next to Barry Cryer on a tube train, he got off at the next stop.

At a wedding a few years ago I was sat on the same table as Dean Andrews. A child dropped a chunk of bread into their soup, a small amount splashed over Mr Andrews' female companion. He said nothing, but the look he gave the child was commensurate with the one he used in Life on Mars.

Comment

longeared wrote: Once sat next to Barry Cryer on a tube train, he got off at the next stop.

At a wedding a few years ago I was sat on the same table as Dean Andrews. A child dropped a chunk of bread into their soup, a small amount splashed over Mr Andrews' female companion. He said nothing, but the look he gave the child was commensurate with the one he used in Life on Mars.
                  The screen-saver on my phone is a picture of Barry cryer and I. It was last summer and I accosted him as he walked passed the pub I was in. Total charmer and smooth pro. He even remembered my name. Good photo, too, although he's shorter in real life than I'd imagined. Made my day, so it did.

Comment

Chris Tarrant once stole one of my chips and then called me a wally.

Comment

I once had German TV villainess Nina Petri fall asleep with her head on my shoulder on a train, even though I don’t know her.

This came a few years after I was at a party at which German TV villainess Nina Petri’s personal assistant asked my mate whether he could roll a fag ‘for Nina Petri, she's standing over there.’ (He told her to fuck off and tell Nina Petri to ask him herself.)

And a few years before, at The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With’s mate’s 43rd birthday bash, German TV villainess Nina Petri tried to convince me I was somebody I’m not.

(“I know you. You’re in broadcasting, aren’t you? Weren’t you the sound engineer who worked on that documentary I did for Helmut Schmidt? No? Oh, I know who you are: You’re the cameraman at NDR who did that crime film I was in last year. No? Right, got it: You’re the editor of that audio book I did together with Til Schweiger. No? Well then you must be ...”)

Comment

I knew the guy who killed the otter in the real life version of Ring Of Bright Water.

Comment

During the late 1980s, Kathryn Apanowicz (Richard Whiteley's widow and she of Angels and Eastenders semi-fame) was an occasional customer of my old landlord's wine bar. I was there the night she knocked over a coat stand on her way out.

For the story of my knocking Billy Zane's hat off, go to the equivalent 'Music Claims' thread. (In fact, I have many tales from my TV days, but they don't really fit here.)

Comment

treibeis wrote: I once had German TV villainess Nina Petri fall asleep with her head on my shoulder on a train, even though I don’t know her.

This came a few years after I was at a party at which German TV villainess Nina Petri’s personal assistant asked my mate whether he could roll a fag ‘for Nina Petri, she's standing over there.’ (He told her to fuck off and tell Nina Petri to ask him herself.)

And a few years before, at The Lady I Walked To The Registry Office With’s mate’s 43rd birthday bash, German TV villainess Nina Petri tried to convince me I was somebody I’m not.

(“I know you. You’re in broadcasting, aren’t you? Weren’t you the sound engineer who worked on that documentary I did for Helmut Schmidt? No? Oh, I know who you are: You’re the cameraman at NDR who did that crime film I was in last year. No? Right, got it: You’re the editor of that audio book I did together with Til Schweiger. No? Well then you must be ...”)
                            Apparently if you stalk German TV villainess Nina Petri long enough, she remembers your face.

Comment

Apparently if you stalk German TV villainess Nina Petri long enough, she remembers your face.

She remembers my face because, as I've heard from other people more often than I'd have liked, we look like one another.

(That's a photo of her, not me. I think.)

Comment

Many years ago I sold the wife of Des O'Connor an answering machine. She sounded an awful lot younger than I knew him to be.

On checking wiki, I see he was not married at the time I spoke to this impostor! She must have been his secretary, she had all the details of his account. I've dined out on that gem of a story and now I found she has made a liar out of me. I will find her...

Comment

Sally Webster off Coronation Street once gave me an unambiguous signal that she wanted to sleep with me.

She offered me a Malteser.

Comment

Hobgoblin wrote: She offered me a Malteser.
                                    Kinky.

Comment

Make a change from ping pong balls

Comment

I once got my French female colleague to go up and take the piss out of Archie McPherson, cos I was too feart.

In Charles De Gaulle, delayed flights- he was just leaving on the one before us and she put her hand on his arm and purred: 'Monsieur McPherson...I really luuuuurve your show' (this was around the time he was doing commentary on matches he wasn't at from a Eurosport cupboard).

Oh, and around the time I caddied for Pat Crerand (see football equivalent thread, obv), I was hanging around at the caddies' hut at the Old Course and both Nick Nolte and Claude Rains walked past (not together).

Comment

Was in a ski lift line and noticed Arnold Schwarzenegger was in front of me. I am 5' 10" and was taller than the terminator.

Also met James Garner waiting for an elevator and he was no taller than 5'8" - my folks were shocked as they assumed Bret Maverick was a tall guy.

Camera angles? Serious shoe lifts?

Comment

FIGS: it was at a golf course where I met Alice Cooper (see Music thread). Shortly after, I walked outside and Meatloaf was heading past on a cart. Somebody flagged him down and said "Alice Cooper's on the front nine and wants to know if you want to meet up afterward".

Comment

Another Corrie one I've just remembered.

My Mum's dog shagged Betty Turpin's dog.

Comment

Had to look up Betty Turpin and for some reason the Wikipedia photo of her makes this anecdote funnier. Couldn't care less what type of dogs they were, though.

Comment

Someone's just dissed one of her hotpots.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X