Is Apple TV+ worth the bother?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Apple TV+ worth the bother?

My youngest daughter finally got an expensive Apple Ipad from us this spring rather than the various cheap Android type tablets she's had to use previously. As part of the purchase we also got three months of free access to Apple TV+, which I understand is a streaming service and not the TV device Apple TV.

We already have Netflix and HBO Max plus the odd months with subscriptions on Disney Plus and MUBI, but we have never tried Apple's service before, I did not even know they had a streaming channel.

Anybody out there who subscribes to it and can tell me what kind of programs they show? Ideally a fully stacked film library and a few select quality series, none more than three seasons long, but I suspect it is as full of rubbish as all the other streams.

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
    Ideally a fully stacked film library and a few select quality series, none more than three seasons long, but I suspect it is as full of rubbish as all the other streams.
    Average quality is considerably higher than other services, but they don't have a lot - it's all originals, no back catalogue. Very few movies, but a couple of bangers. I put my recommendations in the current watching thread a few days ago.

Comment

I found all of these to be very good series

Ted Lasso (obviously)
      Shrinking
      Severance
      Slow Horses
      Bad Sisters
      Black Bird
      For All Mankind

and The Morning Show for sub-Aaron-Sorkin trashy fun.

For films:

CODA is the current best thing

But I think that the Killers of the Flower Moon is going to stream on Apple, and that's the new Martin Scorcese starring DeNiro, DiCaprio and Plemons, and which has a lot of very good buzz around. (And is based on a great book).

Comment

Good Android tablets are a thing as well.

Comment

Please tell my daughters and the rest of the Norwegian population.

Comment

The Reluctant Traveller is good fun. Foundation was alright.

You get three months of it for free and that's enough to work your way through the good stuff.

Comment

In answer to the OP, it's not a lot of bother, is it?

Comment

I can't help thinking that all these streaming services need some sort of giant aggregator, à la Spotify.

There's a very useful site called justwatch.com, which lets you search streaming services. Except that, in real life, you use it to search for a programme you've heard good things about, and it tells you it's available on services you don't subscribe to.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                  In answer to the OP, it's not a lot of bother, is it?
                  Don't know. Leave your payment details, remember to cancel in time, yet another newsletter in my mailbox, etc.

Anyway, from the responses upthread, it does seem that a three-month subscription on Apple TV is indeed worth the bother, as they do seem to have some good programmes and a small selection of quality films. Should be a nice a summer distraction.

Comment

Yeah I guess I'm used to setting myself reminders to cancel stuff. Disney+ and Apple, mostly.

Think all the Apple stuff I've liked has been mentioned above.

Comment

Pretty sure with Apple you can cancel right away and keep access until the end of the trial, though maybe that's only with paid subs.

Comment

The Michael J Fox documentary is excellent. Quite enjoyed the Tetris film as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wishis View Post
                          The Michael J Fox documentary is excellent. Quite enjoyed the Tetris film as well.
                          Was that an adaptation of this?

51Ld012-bmL.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post

Was that an adaptation of this?

51Ld012-bmL.jpg

I suspect only if there was a major rewrite or perhaps the femme fatale part was based on that…..

Comment

Do the three months free and binge everything that interests you. Then cancel (which is very easy to do in the app itself). I found that Apple was way below the other services in the US. Everything I clicked on came up as pay per view. I don't know if Ted Lasso season 3 is finished yet, but when it does I will re-up for one month, binge, and cancel again.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                I can't help thinking that all these streaming services need some sort of giant aggregator, à la Spotify.
                                Apple TV actually works well as an aggregator of other subscribed services as it stands. Though there is going to be a long slog before it ends with any form of centralized offering - that was Netflix and all of the major networks came for it.

Comment

I hear Apple TV's core programming is pretty decent.

Comment

I was in Richmond (upon Thames) yesterday and was shocked at how all in they've gone on Ted Lasso. merchandise and theming everywhere. And walking tours of filming locations, walking tours with a couple of dozen people.

(I'd assumed that the Richmond of AFC Richmond was a fictional town as well as club.)

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Apple TV actually works well as an aggregator of other subscribed services as it stands. Though there is going to be a long slog before it ends with any form of centralized offering - that was Netflix and all of the major networks came for it.
                                      Apple aggregates all the other services you subscribe to except Netflix. So when I turn on my TV, I go to Apple TV and it shows me if there are new episodes of anything I’m following on any of the services, except Netflix.

Comment

The latter part was more about the idea of one centralized payment / subscription offering. Which will gradually par down from the current bloat. I agree apple can be a good host solution to your subscriptions.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                          The latter part was more about the idea of one centralized payment / subscription offering. Which will gradually par down from the current bloat. I agree apple can be a good host solution to your subscriptions.
                                          I think we’ll see some consolidation soon.

Comment

I would agree, but it is going to see some major networks back down. That is (potentially) exactly why Disney had a change of leadership. It just takes a remarkable change in executive motivation to let that happen in the old media companies.

Comment

Hulu as we know it won’t exist. Disney will merge its content on there with Disney+ and Universal will merge what it has on Hulu with Peacock. Not sure who will buy out whom.

Paramount will merge its service or the whole company with somebody. And all the small ones like Starz and MGM will go somewhere.

It will cost more and offer less, but in the end, it will all still be a better deal than cable.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 02-08-2023, 05:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                And all the small ones like Starz and MGM will go somewhere.
                                                Amazon bought MGM.

Comment

There is still a separate MGM service, however. Used to be Epix.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X