The Marvellous Mrs Maisel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Marvellous Mrs Maisel

I can’t see this mentioned anywhere, I may be the only fan. A period piece about a groundbreaking female comic, lots of cultural references from the 60s (in particular); maybe over-egged the Jewishness* in the earlier series but they seemed to tone it down later.

* kinda implying that things like humour, bookishness, fussy parents are uniquely or specifically Jewish. It was also criticised for stereotyping other cultures, and for the lack of strong Black characters. They addressed that, somewhat awkwardly at first with some shoehorning, but I think they got it OK considering the focus of the show.

It’s ended now, with the final series, satisfyingly wrapped up in a big bow. If you started watching but got bored, it does pick up in the last two series.

Great character performances but especially from
    the two leads. And it is LOL funny in places.

Agreed. Flawed but so charming, so funny, so brilliant you can more than willingly overlook its flaws.

Comment

Filmed in our neighbourhood.

Has appeared episodically on the Current Watching thread.

Comment

I loved it. I felt like it ended a bit too soon, but it was expensive so Amazon ended it. The last season kind of rushes to the conclusion with time jumps.

Comment

I only watched the first season. I liked it as a story, but my biggest problem with it were her comedy performances. I just thought she was an awful comedian.

Comment

One of the best comedy series of recent years without question. We'll miss it greatly.

Comment

I really enjoyed the first season. Somewhere around the trip to summer camp in Season 2 I got a little sidelined. Gone back to occasional episodes but it hasn't dragged me back in yet.

Comment

It's brilliant, though we've not really picked up season 4 yet. Waiting for Ted Lasso to end and then it will be our regular Sunday night viewing.

Marin Hinkle is amazing as Rose, she does absolutely everything with her eyes. And you get the feeling that Kevin Pollak is having an absolute blast every time he gets to torture Tony Shalhoub on screen. When the cameras stop rolling, that pair must be laughing their heads off.

Comment

I judged this show solely on the title and decided it was like Mary Poppins. Looks like I got that wrong

Comment

Big time.

Comment

Re the point upthread from Steveeeee about her being an "awful comedian"; I didn't laugh once at any of her routines but I thought they were delivered with great, indeed superhuman accomplishment and that these were shrewdly crafted routines that would have gone down great in 1960-61, if not our own times. Poignant that the included an actor playing Carol Burnett in a bit on the show - she's still alive and Mrs Maisel would be the same age as her.

Comment

Well, just finished it and I'm a puddle. What a beautiful series and an amazing final episode. Easily in my top 5 series...jostling for position with the criminally under-watched The Americans.

Comment

She is going to play Lois Lane in the next Superman reboot. That bodes well for what James Gunn is planning to do with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X