game of thrones RW SPOILER thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This post contains spoilers about the finale, so even though this thread is marked SPOILER, I just want to make sure you know that this post is not about RW.

About 45 minutes in, I convinced myself that it must be a special 2-hour episode because it was moving so slowly. Why did they spend so much time on Theon Greyjoy? I don't know how long it actually was (no pun intended), but it could have been half as long to save precious minutes for more interesting arcs. I don't care about Theon and I really don't care about his stupid father.

I loved the scene with Arya. Valar Morghulis. She and The Hound make an awesome team and I hope to see more of them next season.

The Tywin-Joffrey scene was excellent. I've been hoping for something like that ever since Tywin rescued King's Landing.

Comment

@VTTBoscombe: Iirc, Grey Wind taking down a bunch of Freys was even better in the book as it was none other than Olyvar Frey - Walder's actual son who remained loyal to Winterfell, who released the hound (as it were).

Asking a Game of Thrones TV audience about R+L=J is a bit, um, hopeful of you! There's been next to zero intimation around the Harrenhal Tourney, nor the ToJ for anyone to be able to piece it together.

--

On the Jon legitimacy bit, in the books Rob legitimises Jon in front of all of his bannermen (much to the despicable Catelyn's dismay) as there was precedent there (The Blackfyre Rebellion - look it up if you're nerdy enough), so there's that. The problem is that Rob presumes Jon will shit on his vows and allow the king to remove him from the Night's Watch, too, when in reality Jon would more likely honor his vows, regardless of the opportunity.

Readers of the last book might have an inkling around where Jon's arc is headed re his vows.

Comment

In the book when Rob is finally put out of his misery, it isn't Roose (he basically does what the Blackfish does and excuses himself, before it kicks off; but some other swordsman (no problem in that, Roose needs to be shown more) but in the book, he said "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" not just The Lannisters.
        I felt that was one last nice reminder for Rob , his Mum had betrayed him by letting Jaime go.

Bingo - "Jamie Lannister sends his regards" is great as it jars the Jamie redemption arc, somewhat. I s'pose they thought tv viewers were too dumb to handle that...

I'm pretty sure it was Roose who fatally stabbed Rob in the book, as it goes.

Comment

PMJI, I just dropped in on the season finale for a few minutes before my kids demanded we watch something else, but the but I saw seems to suggest that GoT has gone down the White Saviour route.

Comment

Sure, but ...

Dany turns out to be absolutely terrible at it. Which is kind of the point, even though it makes for a slog of a read.

Comment

Why did they spend so much time on Theon Greyjoy? I don't know how long it actually was (no pun intended), but it could have been half as long to save precious minutes for more interesting arcs. I don't care about Theon and I really don't care about his stupid father.
              good question. it's a big change from the books. theon disappears after being captured at winterfell in the (second?) book and doesn't reappear until the fifth book, when the character of "reek" is introduced and it takes a little while to work out that it's actually theon. the book explains how he's ended up reduced to insanity by torture and mutilation; i'm not sure why the TV writers decided to keep showing it as it was happening.

Comment

Everything I've read suggests it was added mostly to make sure they could keep Alfie Allen on the show.

No idea if that's true, but it definitely kept him hanging on.

Comment

I find it incredible that someone could have their penis cut off without medical attention and not have bled to death (especially on top of all of the other trauma). But, since Jaime Lannister was able to survive having an artery cut without medical attention--not to mention the infection that would have surely killed him by now.

Oh right, it's fantasy. I forget sometimes.

Comment

jaime lannister's hand was treated by that maester whose name i can't remember. while he's bandaging up the wound he explains he's a bit of a loose cannon, rip-up-the-rulebook kinda guy when it comes to medical ethics.

as for whether a severed penis would be fatal... well, john wayne bobbitt's still alive. i guess theon's captors would have stopped the bleeding as he's not much use to them dead.

Comment

I know, that was just me over-thinking it.

Comment

I suppose they had to show the castration so that viewers would know the thing in the box sent to his father was a penis. The plot suggested that Theon will be rescued by his sister; I don't know if that concurs with the books.

The other point might be to portray what genuine sadism feels like.

Comment

They should have made last week's episode the finale. This week was just some loose ends tied up and a scene setter for next lot - would have been better as first of a new series.

Comment

I'm shocked that this series is being watched

Get a life!

Walk the cat !

Take up the tuba !

Comment

Working...
                            X