Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

game of thrones RW SPOILER thread

fucking hell.

no, actually i read the books so i've been waiting for this episode all season. it was still shocking though - the stabbing of rob's wife was a new detail (well, that whole character is completely different). and i think in the book catelyn kills a simple-minded child of frey rather than his wife.

roose bolton in this reminds me of george graham. i had imagined him older and more overtly unpleasant - actually a bit more like walder frey is in the TV show.

hmm. even on the spoiler thread it's kind of difficult to talk about the event without blurting out further spoilers.

Fucking hell.

I wasn't expecting that (being a non-reader and all), but I can't say that I'm all that upset about Robb and Catelyn being out of the picture. I feel bad for Arya, but I'm sure she'll make the best of the situation, as she always does.

I was hoping that they wouldn't kill the wolf--that really upset me.

Comment

So, Jon Snow is now the ipso facto King of the North, is he not? Looking forward to seeing more of that arc.

I wish we had a few more episodes before the finale. I'm not ready for the season to end.

Comment

I'm just happy for it to roll as it comes. I have absolute faith in GoT's decision making about the fate of the characters, distressing as it can often be.

Comment

I really love that none of the characters are sacred. It keeps it so wonderfully unpredictable (at least to us non-readers).

Comment

Jon can't be king, he's illegitimate. The king is about to leave the north to go talk to a three-eyed crow.

Also, this is the best thing ever:

https://twitter.com/RedWeddingTears

Comment

does illegitimacy completely rule him out of being king, or does it just put him to the back of the queue? if the former, why were the lannisters so eager to kill all robert baratheon's bastards?

maybe knowing in advance makes it impossible to judge fairly - was the attack on the starks telegraphed? i thought it was a bit, but i guess knowing it was on the way, you are watching out for the hints. the killings did come as a surprise in the book, though it's quite likely that the clues were there and i just missed them all.

Comment

The bastard-killing was to do with all that "blood runs true" stuff the pre-Ned HOTK was going on about before they poisoned him; all of Robert's sons look like him, and Joff doesn't.

Comment

To me, the only sign that something was about to go horribly wrong was the fact that the apology part went so smoothly. After all of Catelyn's warnings to Robb that Walder Frey wouldn't take kindly to him not marrying one his daughters, it was hard to believe that he was really okay with the situation. I had a feeling that something would happen, but I had no clue what or when. For a minute, I thought he was going to stop after killing Talisa. Silly me.

Comment

One of the things that killing off Talisa at the RW did is undercut all the book-readers conjecture that Martin had stuck Robb Stark's book-wife stage left and pregnant, with the kiddie to be re-introduced in a concluding book.

I think the HBO variants on the book have worked well (usually by merging characters storylines). I hope they continue to cull and combine others as we progress.

Comment

Brandenburger Toro wrote: Jon can't be king, he's illegitimate. The king is about to leave the north to go talk to a three-eyed crow.

Ah but in the book, Rob was talking about naming Jon as his heir - which went down like a lead balloon with Cat. But I think he actually wrote his decree.

Comment

Oooh a spoiler section.....
                        I suppose it tidied up the theory that Tulisa was also a Lannister spy, thats why she kept writing all those letters.

All this seed is strong stuff, makes me think why we bother with DNA testing, and genome research, the guys in Westeros, are just so far more advanced than us in spotting prodigy, by just their hair colour.

So anyone takers on the L+R =J theory

Why did Conan give Dany a dirty bath towel at the end?

I suppose next week, we will see the Lannisters gloating, and Mel acting all smug.

tired and emotional after that .

Comment

I can't work out what L+R=J means.

Comment

It's the initials of the two characters who are Jon Snow's real parents, according to the fan-theories.

I think anyway, I've read one that matches L & R.

Comment

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                              Originally posted by Brandenburger Toro
                              Jon can't be king, he's illegitimate. The king is about to leave the north to go talk to a three-eyed crow.

Ah but in the book, Rob was talking about naming Jon as his heir - which went down like a lead balloon with Cat. But I think he actually wrote his decree.
                              Well, yes, the King can decree an heir. But in the absence of his having done so (and again, this is a thing fans speculate about) Jon is nowhere in the line of succession.

Comment

Way to kill the thread, Toro.

Comment

I think there are some characters who can't be killed off, because of their popularity with viewers: Tyrion, for example. Robb was a little dull by comparison.

Comment

satchmo76 wrote: I think there are some characters who can't be killed off, because of their popularity with viewers: Tyrion, for example. Robb was a little dull by comparison.
                                    And the flipside of that, too, i.e., Joffrey, Cersei, Mel, etc. They won't be killed because viewers love to hate them.

Comment

*shuffles nervously*

Comment

What was the key quote? Something like "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention".

Gawd knows how the books and TV show will conclude...

Comment

Brandenburger Toro wrote:
                                          Originally posted by VTTBoscombe
                                          Originally posted by Brandenburger Toro

Well, yes, the King can decree an heir. But in the absence of his having done so (and again, this is a thing fans speculate about) Jon is nowhere in the line of succession.
                                          Well it seems that Kings can "unbastardise" bastards, name heirs, and get them to relinquish oaths to THe Kings Guard and The Night's Watch, when it suits them, as seen in DWD.

Although the list of kings is diminishing, (damn leeches) .

Comment

Had a few days for this to sink in now, so been thinking of differences from the book that would have improved it.

Grey Wind - actually ripped off a few Frey limbs before being succumbed - that would have been better than his rather tepid exit.
                                            Where the hell was the Greatjon? Thinking of it I can't remember him in this season at all.
                                            In the book he too cracked a few Frey heads before they overcame him.
                                            The North seemed to put up no resistance anywhere.
                                            The Stark troops outside - i suppose it was budget constraints - the Freys had booby-trapped the rigging of their tents to collapse, was something that seemed quite something in the book - all they showed was a few kennel guards being slaughtered. Maybe next week they will allude to it.

Actually thinking back to Season 1 the Stark troops/guards first at Kings Landing with Ned and here, seem to be rather good at being slaughtered very effectively.
                                            Casting search for people good at saying aaaaarghhhhh!

And finally poor old Rob - I had far more sympathy for Rob in the book, I suppose him becoming pretty much a POV character on TV diminished him in my eyes.
                                            He was just a boy loping around with his pet wolf half the time in the book, seen through mainly his Mum's eyes,, so his murder was maybe felt more.

Nothing against the performances of the actors in portraying the characters.
                                            In the book when Rob is finally put out of his misery, it isn't Roose (he basically does what the Blackfish does and excuses himself, before it kicks off; but some other swordsman (no problem in that, Roose needs to be shown more) but in the book, he said "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" not just The Lannisters.
                                            I felt that was one last nice reminder for Rob , his Mum had betrayed him by letting Jaime go.

But still horrible to watch, and unlike many episodes I will not rewatch it for a long time.

Comment

Googling reveals this about why Greatjon is not in Season 3:

On 9 July 2012 it was revealed that Mantle was not able to return for the second season due to a scheduling clash. He was not asked to return for the third season either. It is not known if the role will be recast or if Mantle as the Greatjon will be able to return in later seasons.

Comment

The North seemed to put up no resistance anywhere.
                                                The Stark troops outside - i suppose it was budget constraints - the Freys had booby-trapped the rigging of their tents to collapse, was something that seemed quite something in the book - all they showed was a few kennel guards being slaughtered. Maybe next week they will allude to it.
                                                All through its run the show has been at its weakest in translating the books when it comes to scenes which would require a lot of actors. Basically all the large scale battle scenes have been damp squibs.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: Way to kill the thread, Toro.
                                                  Oh, I killed something you liked?

GET USED TO IT!

[/grrm]

Comment

Working...
                                                  X