X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Agnew
    started a topic Public Information Films

Public Information Films

I've just found 'Apaches' on my hard drive. I've never seen it before. Given how long it is, would it be a schools only film (which given how far I lived from a farm, would be why we never saw it when Bert Bissell showed us videos on the last day of term), or was it ever shown on television?

Also, I've been rooting through some old videos to see if anything is worth copying onto DVD. And I've found an absolute corker of a PIF (again that I'd never seen), in terms of "who the fuck thought they would be the right people". Such a bizarre pairing, I'm opening it up as a quiz.

You're making a PIF about getting the correct measurements to give to a baby. It's the late 80s, early 90s. Which well known TV pair would you choose to get the message across?

(If you know the answer, don't say, I want to see if anyone actually guesses it).

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    Thank you. Again the use of children in PIFs/PSAs is worth exploring in a feature on radio or TV.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I don't frequent any such sites, but I think that the majority of folk who remember the PIFs do so with fondness, don't they? They were very much 'of their time', and I'm sure largely viewed through such lenses.

As for being potentially 'hurt' by online comments, well that risk applies to pretty much everyone with access to the internet.

Leave a comment:

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    Someone should do a BBC local radio interview with people who were featured in PIFs as children. Not all are still alive - Terry Sue-Patt who was in Lonely Water is now dead - but some of their reactions to the PIF fan cultists would be interesting to hear. The woman who was the little girl "Sal" in Andy Lights the Fire, is probably hurt by the comments online making fun of her strong accent as a child.

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Cynical or just trying to push every button they can to make the point? Possibly the same thing, come to think of it.

Leave a comment:

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    looking back, using a baby girl in Children and Ponds was pretty cynical of them. They knew that adults watching would react more to a little girl in danger. A little boy of that age is often called a "little man".

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I think that that's all part of the nostalgic charm, tbh - those of us old enough to remember 'em first time around would likely have seen them in such definition back then anyway. (The Charlie Says DVD offers up a reasonable clutch of PIFs in good definition. Must dig that out again.)

Leave a comment:

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    PIFs have developed a cult around them, you are right. For those of who were featured in them as children, that can be difficult. Children and Ponds has never been remastered or put out on commercial release as far as i know. I'm sorry that you have only poor quality domestic recordings to judge toddler me.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    As claims-to-fame on here go, that's pretty impressive. I grew up during the age of the PIF, and that still resonates with its seventies synthesized 'danger' music.

Personally, I'm still traumatised by the grim reaper at the lake, the broken bottle on the beach, grandad falling through the table and - most of all, because it freaked me out as a six-year-old - the clumsy neighbour with the scythe.

Leave a comment:

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    Wow! Welcome! Pull up a chair and tell us about your favourite biscuit.
    Thank you. I like digestive biscuits and a hot chocolate. If anyone wants to see the PIF i was in as a baby/toddler - it's here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YSKmMkQ7d0

Leave a comment:

• Snake Plissken
    replied
    Wow! Welcome! Pull up a chair and tell us about your favourite biscuit.

Leave a comment:

• ChildrenAndPonds
    replied
    Hi
    Sorry I'm seeing this thread so many years later, but I'm the woman that starred in the PIF Children and Ponds as a toddler. It's not made clear in the finished product but the child's doll is not meant to be the child itself, as it's seen washed up in the centre of the pond and the child falls in at the edge. in keeping with the feeling of the short, its meant to indicate that the child has disappeared under the water and all that's left of her lost innocence is the doll she had with her.

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    Public Information Films

If I've been a little quite on here over the last day or so, it's because I'm still recovering from that.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

The Finishing Line Part One:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=88wFQuv9g_Y

Part Two:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=p-HoG5BTdoA

Leave a comment:

• evilC
    replied
    Public Information Films

"Firecrackers: The Silent Killer"

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    Public Information Films

Yeah, I was just thinking that "Building Sites Bite" would be the holy grail, now.

Leave a comment:

• Mumpo
    replied
    Public Information Films

Excellent. Building Sites Bite would be a good one to unearth, too.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

It looks like someone has The Finishing Line, and that will be on YouTube soon.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

Like I say, bizarre casting.

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    Public Information Films

Good lord.

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

And here it is.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XtS1Dx-Whkw

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

twohundredpercent wrote:
    That one about ponds it outstanding. They've got a real vendetta against ponds going on there.

Phoebe, I'm not entirely sure what sort of software it is that you're after, but Sourceforge Media Coder converts anything to anything, and at whatever bit-rate you want. It's one of the most under-rated pieces of software available, IMHO:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/
    It's okay, I've already found something else (I already had it, I was just trying to convert the wrong files).

Leave a comment:

• steveeeeeeeee
    replied
    Public Information Films

I've got a stinking hangover right now and watching all these youtube clips is probably the stupidest thing I can possibly do. Never heard of Apaches before but bugger-me if it ain't the most terrifying thing I've seen in ages.

When I was a kid I used to dread the onset of fireworks night, not because of the "banger in dog sh1t" jokes other kids would play, but because horrible adverts like this and this would have me constantly hiding behind the sofa.

A kid I was at school with actually lost an eye when he was hit by a screamer, so the effectiveness of these films is questionable.

Leave a comment:

• My Name Is Ian
    replied
    Public Information Films

That one about ponds it outstanding. They've got a real vendetta against ponds going on there.

Phoebe, I'm not entirely sure what sort of software it is that you're after, but Sourceforge Media Coder converts anything to anything, and at whatever bit-rate you want. It's one of the most under-rated pieces of software available, IMHO:

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

Leave a comment:

• David Agnew
    replied
    Public Information Films

Another one I remember (really poor quality):

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=wgkrqZJjTM0

Leave a comment:

Working...
X