The Wright Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wright Way

Ben Elton's latest sitcom. Did anyone watch it? I saw it got masses of abuse from people I follow on Twitter. I tried to watch it on iPlayer now, but the fact it's got David Haig in the lead role means I stopped watching after a minute. I can't stand him.

The first joke appeared to be about a woman spending too long in the bathroom, to the displeasure of her husband. Sounds like a real hoot.

The Wright Way

I think you'll find that the woman in the bathroom was his daughter's girlfriend. I turned off after - no word of a lie - the lead character said to his daughter "Honestly, what's the point of you being a lesbian if you're going to act like a woman?".

Dire.

Comment

The Wright Way

The trailers were enough to put me off.

Comment

The Wright Way

It's worth a minute of your time to check out the opening titles. They're just so.........cheap.

Comment

The Wright Way

It's amazingly awful. The blonde lesbian girlfriend's character is the stand-out character. Steals every scene. You must watch it.

David Haig shouts too much.

Comment

The Wright Way

I can't stand David Haig, either.

He's now backed up the appalling 'Yes Minister' re-make with this pile of crap.

Comment

The Wright Way

I managed to get through 15 minutes of it before turning off.

Comment

The Wright Way

I finally caught this on iPlayer yesterday. It wasn't 'quite' as abysmal as I was anticipating, but was nonetheless a strange and empty watch.

It reminded me of those bottom-rung sitcoms that used to exist on ITV in the early eighties: Mind Your Language, Bottle Boys, etc - overly-exaggerated stereotype characters framed by laugh tracks just in case their telegraphed and not-terribly-funny lines somehow passed you by.

No doubt Elton will claim that this is all deliberate and post-ironic or somesuch. In truth, it's just a bit desperate.

Comment

The Wright Way

It's basically 'When the Whistle Blows', minus context.

Comment

The Wright Way

I would 'do' David Haig. If he fancied it. (Although, I suspect, he wouldn't like me, when I slate him for not getting his hair cut after all these years.)

Comment

The Wright Way

Watched ten minutes of it last night. Creates an odd experience of feeling like you’ve been knocked on the head, only to wake up in 1991. I just don't get why it exists or what it's trying to say. It may be some sort of surrealist homage to the era. It may just be fantastically sh1t.

Comment

The Wright Way

I took a deep breath and watched it in the spirit of fairness. Shockingly badly written, acted and directed, does Elton have the dirt on someone at the Beeb?

Comment

The Wright Way

Last night's episode was pretty bad, but it gets worse - the script for next week's has been leaked: http://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,32570.msg1912129.html#msg1912129

Comment

The Wright Way

Phew!

Comment

The Wright Way

I think its interesting that the BBC controller was disappointed a comedy about health and safety didn't 'catch fire'

Comment

The Wright Way

It's pretty feeble his trying to shift the blame onto the worldwide anti-Elton conspiracy and social media rather than just admit that the show was an utter crock.

I didn't even give it 14 seconds; the trailers were warning enough. The fact that Elton is a known associate of the supreme enemies of music was barely a consideration.

Comment

The Wright Way

Elton should remember his musicals with "farty old Tories" and apartheid supporters as to why no one rates him anymore. That and the fact he's shit!

Comment

The Wright Way

southportzeb wrote: I think its interesting that the BBC controller was disappointed a comedy about health and safety didn't 'catch fire'
                                    It was certainly a better gag than anything in the show.

Comment

The Wright Way

I first heard if this show when I read about its axing last week. Seeing the words "thin", "blue" and "line" along with "Ben Elton" got my hackles up. At that point I wouldn't recognise the name David Haig without looking him up. Now I have.

Australia has had a lucky escape.

Comment

The Wright Way

Benjm wrote: It's pretty feeble his trying to shift the blame onto the worldwide anti-Elton conspiracy and social media rather than just admit that the show was an utter crock.
                                        He doesn't seem to be saying its anti-Elton, more anti anything new. The claim is no-one gives programmes a chance to develop, so how can a new one thrive in a social media world? Like, say, the utter and instant mauling that Getting On took. Oh, wait a second. But, despite that one getting rave reviews on social media, he announced the dropping of it in the same press release...

Comment

The Wright Way

Allen said Elton had told him before it was broadcast that it was going to get a rough ride "because I always get a rough ride".
                                          That he's referred to as the writer of Blackadder and The Young Ones perhaps gives an idea of just how unreasonably rough a ride he has had over the years.

What slightly gets me about this is the nagging feeling that it was a condescending attempt to grab the Mrs Brown's Boys audience by people who would rather eat their own shit than watch it on their own time.

Comment

Working...
                                          X