No announcement yet.

OTF 100 Greatest Films of All Time Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, I see that The Sheepman is missing from that list. One of the very few fillums that I can bear involving Glenn Ford...

Comment

The list surprisingly omits Charles Burnett’s Killer Of Sheep… which made it into the Sight & Sound top 100.

Comment

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
        Beauty and the Beast (Disney 1991)
        As Good As It Gets
        Secrets & Lies
        Boyhood
        An Officer and a Gentleman
        Schindler's List
        The Blues Brothers
        The Third Man
        Fargo

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
          The list surprisingly omits Charles Burnett’s Killer Of Sheep… which made it into the Sight & Sound top 100.
          I've fixed that for you

Comment

I need to take out Apollo 13 and put in Ghostbusters which might actually be my most favourite film of all time. (Shame about the sequels** and remake*)

*I really REALLY wanted to love the remake given the bullshit the film got online from cry babies whining about women ruining their childhoods etc. But it was just, you know, alright. Good actors let down by a piss poor script.
            **Ghostbusters 2 had a few good lines but was in the main, dogshit. The new one was fine. 6/10.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Thanks for that. I will look into it. I haven;t had good experiences with VPNs before, but maybe it is time to reinvestigate
              I wrote off Tarr after not really getting or enjoying Werckmeister Harmonies. Maybe I should give him another go.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                Rebel Without a Cause is the best film. Problem is that if it doesn't make the list I'll be sad.
                So you’ll be a rebel with a cause..?

Comment

My 1op 10
                  1. Casablanca
                  2. Blazing Saddles
                  3. Local Hero
                  4. Midnight Express
                  5. Shawshank Redemption
                  6. The Usual Suspects
                  7. It’s A Wonderful Life
                  8. Airplane
                  9. Vertigo
                  10. Schindler’s List

Comment

Trainspotting
                    Fight Club
                    Terminator 2
                    Mean Girls
                    Life of Brian
                    Escape to Victory
                    Shawshank Redemption
                    Killing Fields
                    Invictus
                    InsideOut

Comment

My favourite films change every five minutes, so off the top of my head, here are ten in no order of preference.

The Seventh Seal
                      The King of Comedy
                      Dr. Strangelove
                      Airplane!
                      The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
                      The Lives of Others
                      My Neighbour Totoro
                      2001: A Space Odyssey
                      Five Easy Pieces
                      Casablanca

Comment

La Double Vie de Veronique
                        The Out-Of-Towners
                        My Life As A Dog
                        The Hairdresser's Husband
                        12 Angry Men
                        Delicatessen
                        The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover
                        The Grand Budapest Hotel
                        Down By Law
                        Jackass - The Movie

A fair few from my days of going to the cinema two or three times a week in my 20s.

That last choice is possibly not a contender for the final list, and its cinematography is not of the highest quality, but I came across it while channel-hopping late one night in a hotel room and couldn't stop laughing for about a week.

Comment

So difficult cutting this down to 10. I'd have a clear top 5, but then maybe 20 more films of roughly equal appeal competing for the other 5 spots. My "second top 10" would mostly be ones which feature in others' lists on here. I love many Hitchcock films but no individual film quite stands out for me, so maybe 4 or 5 of my second top 10 would be Hitchcocks already chosen by others on here.

With regard to the Sean/Snake debate above about "favourite" vs "best", I'm absolutely taking the Sean line. I have neither the encyclopaedic film experience nor the critical faculties to be able to offer any worthwhile judgments about what's "best".

Easy top 5:

The Apartment
                          The Lives of Others (Das Leben der Anderen)
                          When Harry met Sally
                          Kind Hearts and Coronets
                          Double Indemnity

And the other 5, based on my mood of the minute:

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot)
                          Schindler's List
                          Fargo
                          Babette's Feast (Babettes Gaestebud)
                          Railway Station for Two (Vokzal dlya Dvoikh)

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                            La Double Vie de Veronique
                            The Out-Of-Towners
                            My Life As A Dog
                            The Hairdresser's Husband
                            12 Angry Men
                            Delicatessen
                            The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover
                            The Grand Budapest Hotel
                            Down By Law
                            Jackass - The Movie

A fair few from my days of going to the cinema two or three times a week in my 20s.

That last choice is possibly not a contender for the final list, and its cinematography is not of the highest quality, but I came across it while channel-hopping late one night in a hotel room and couldn't stop laughing for about a week.
                            Is it My Life as a Dog where a version of Lovely Bunch of Coconuts is played on a record player?
                            If so I remember it fondly

Comment

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                              Is it My Life as a Dog where a version of Lovely Bunch of Coconuts is played on a record player?
                              If so I remember it fondly
                              I actually don't recall that, but according to IMDb you are correct. I also learnt that it was Kurt Vonnegut's favourite film. Something else I already once knew because apparently he wrote that in Timequake - a book I've read.

I'm really due a re-watch.

Comment

I feel sorry for Nef having to collate so many lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                  I feel sorry for Nef having to collate so many lists.
                                  Nefertiti2

I'm happy to do this and look for interesting trends and themes - on a Venn diagram of liking excel/good movie knowledge/being retired I do pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by colchestersid View Post

Nefertiti2

I'm happy to do this and look for interesting trends and themes - on a Venn diagram of liking excel/good movie knowledge/being retired I do pretty well
                                    If you are able to do that that would be fantastic- thanks! My excel skills are rudimentary at best

Comment

Have we not had Trading Places yet?

Comment

Entirely on the simple criterion that should I come across them while changing channels, these are the films I think I’m most likely to stay watching to the end. Even if it's late.

Casablanca
                                        Monty Python's Life of Brian
                                        Mary Poppins
                                        Dr Strangelove
                                        Four Lions
                                        Paddington 2
                                        Jackie Brown
                                        Hot Fuzz
                                        The Lunchbox
                                        The Death of Stalin

Edit - Removed my extras to the other thread.
                                        Last edited by ChrisJ; 12-12-2022, 11:58.

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                          Import/Export
                                          Idioterne
                                          Dirty Harry I
                                          Dirty Harry II
                                          Dirty Harry III
                                          Happiness
                                          Hundstage
                                          Martha
                                          Once Upon A Time In America
                                          Paradies: Liebe

treibeis help me out here - I can't find a likely match for "Martha"

As entries have slowed down I've started to collate the results

Comment

This was really hard.

Long Days Journey Into Night
                                            North by Northwest
                                            Singin' In The Rain
                                            Les Demoiselles de Rochefort
                                            The Battle of Algiers
                                            Wings of Desire
                                            Dr Strangelove
                                            Mad Max: Fury Road
                                            In The Mood For Love
                                            Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

I feel I've neglected loads of genres and styles. And it's odd how it's easier to discount comedy as being great when it gets down to the nitty gritty.

Comment

Christ, who came up with that list? What an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                                                Christ, who came up with that list? What an idiot.
                                                Haha. I'm the one who put 7 comedies in.

Comment

I think that's probably a better attitude to have. Comedy is hard to do well, great comedies should be regarded as great films. But I really struggled to do it.

Comment

It's hard. The problem I had was that when I'm trying to come up with a list like this, first my mind goes blank, then it starts flooding, and it's easy to go for the attention-getters; the films that are regularly touted as "great," partly because they are good but partly because they have a lot of (white male) Hollywood hype behind them, have spectacle and shout "look at me!"

I started writing down films as they popped into my head, and apart from Casablanca, which is the best film ever, initially it was all Scorcese and Tarrantino. Even when I moved to the next, slightly less shouty films, they were all very macho/actiony. Eventually I got about 40 and could start to stratify and cut. I like Goodfellas, Reservoir Dogs and the Godfather, but found others I like more. Do it on a different day and I might swap some of my 10 for others on my reserve list.

If we club together to get colchestersid a pressie, d'you think he'd do a top 100? Only I've just remembered about 7 more...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X