Mad Men Season 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mad Men Season 6

Yes it kept this viewer totally wrong-footed. Until the end I wasn't sure if it was Don dreaming during his nap, or genuine meth induced exhaustion on everyone's part. The pivotal episode of this season I think.

FF: Pete was briefly in the episode, but didn't take the shot. I'm guessing Joan is still on R&R after her surgery.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Disappointing episode, it's been a downwards trajectory since last week.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

I've struggled a bit this season with Sylvia. She has turned into one of the seminal women in Don's life and one who had had an effect on him in certain ways like no other and yet her introduction to the show seemed such an afterthought.

Having never seen her before (unless I somehow missed her) a bombshell is dropped that Don has been having an affair with this brand new character unseen between seasons. That would be ok as a setup if she were just a one night stand, but she's been a key character all season. Doesn't feel quite right somehow.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Ken tap dancing was hilarious. I'm somewhat conflicted about this series, it is definately different and strangely edited but it's growing on me.

High as a kite and get the best idea in the world? Suss it all out? Realise the way forward only to wake up to realise itsacrocka? Aye been there, done that.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Well. I didn't see that coming.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

We discussed the possibility way back — when the separation happened — but, for the life of me, I can't remember what anyone said, including me.

This was one of the "all the male characters are overgrown immature fuck-ups" episodes. Which is OK, in that they tend to be among the better written ones too, though a bit of redemption now and then wouldn't come amiss.

What's the consensus on Bob? Sensitive and empathetic, or seriously creepy?

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Possibly a little of both. I know someone like him. I avoid him like the plague.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Yeah I think he's supposed to be a genuinely nice guy. Maybe a little to nosy, but a nice guy nonetheless. I think I would avoid him if knew him though. Not the kind of guy I would want to bring around a party and whatnot.

I was actually surprised that Don joined in on Bobby's song thing. Maybe he's coming around to this whole committed parenting thing? Probably not.

Fuck me though. This has been an odd season.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

It was an odd year.

SPOILER!!!!!

In white, select to read.

I really liked the consecutive scenes of Peggy's break-up and Don and Megan's reconciliation, with the background chorus of street-fighting and sirens.

The Democratic convention is coming up. I wonder what, if anything, they'll do with it? The whole world's watching... the whole world's watching!

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Reply to spoiler, highlight to read:

I say good riddance to Abe. I was kind of hoping that he would die from the stab wound, but I think that could have created a big legal problem for Peggy. Maybe she'll hook up with Bob.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Isn't he already with (highlight to read) Joan?

The portrayal of Bob is a bit too much of a caricature of MBAs as brownnosing careerists, which you'd expect from the Brooklynites who are writing this.

The show has become a bit too soap opera-ish, overly dramatic accidents and semi-shocking hookups. Maybe there is a bit of boredom with the time and place, or portrayal of a mid-60s ad agency as the main story driver.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

You say that like relationships on Mad Men are meant to last.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

The show has become a bit too soap opera-ish, overly dramatic accidents and semi-shocking hookups. Maybe there is a bit of boredom with the time and place,

Those things really are in synch with the time and place. They're part of the distortion applied by middle-class careerists to the values of the, already vanishing, counter-culture. I think the show's handling their consequent nervous restlessness very well. In a few years the same cast of characters will be giving key-parties and wiping white powder off their noses before the dessert course.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

In what was an emotionally heavy episode, the scene with Peggy in the ambulance must be one of the best and the funniest break-up scenes ever.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

I'm watching 30 Rock reruns and I just saw Jon Hamm. It took me a second to realize it was him.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

The oddest season to date ends tonight. It shifted from slowly paced, subtle, character development, and fairly traditional, but immaculately realised plot devices, to something markedly different. Those things are still there but punctuated by juddering inserts, that range from the surreal to the almost absurd. Meanwhile some of the main threads, like Don/Megan and Don/Sally approach comic book melodrama. Conversations lack a beginning or end, everything is falling apart, the centre may hold, but it’s just a black hole. And in it there’s Bob. A man of the coming decade. Someone who makes Pete seem honourable.

I’m sold, I think they got it right, and in doing so risked alienating their audience, just as they should.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

Femme Folle wrote: I'm watching 30 Rock reruns and I just saw Jon Hamm. It took me a second to realize it was him.

He looks like a cartoon pilot!

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

That episode left me wondering what Draper is up to. Can't wait for next season.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

He's looking for redemption.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

This was good for him. The look Sally gave him when she saw where he grew up was telling. She's surely far from forgiving him, but at worst it reveals a side to him she never even conceived of. At best she might be considering that her father is an extremely complicated man and that, if he builds on this, they can build a truly renewed and fulfilling father-daughter relationship. Who knows.

I think Megan is done. That remark about his kids visibly hurt him and I think he's beginning to realize that the only way he finds redemption is by building meaningful relationships with his children. Megan can fly on her own and there's nothing there to keep them together. I don't even think she would want any of his money.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

She may not need his money, if her career in LA takes off.

Comment

Mad Men Season 6

I just watched the pilot again. Don was a lot happier. Pete looked like he's about 13. Joan was significantly less cantilevered.

Comment

Working...
                                              X