Movies that survived multiple remakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movies that survived multiple remakes

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a favourite film of mine. And surprisingly, the original and the two remakes I've seen are all great, albeit in different ways. Don Siegel (1958), Philip Kaufman (1978) and Abel Ferrara (1993).

Yojimbo in several of films of differing quality, plus wholesale heists/homages of particular scenes and lines.

Comment

There are at least three film versions of JB Priestley’s ‘An Inspector Calls’ dating back from an excellent 1954 adaptation with the wonderful Alastair Sim in the title role to the most recent in 2018 that I haven’t seen yet. There was a 2015 BBC Films production starring David Thewlis as the Inspector which is also superb. The play was on my school department’s GCSE syllabus so I watched it at least once annually for several years and never tired of it.

Comment

A Star Is Born has proved durable across four versions, with each finding an audience. The 1976 Streisand/Kristofferson take had the least enthusiastic notices but was still a big hit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
          Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a favourite film of mine. And surprisingly, the original and the two remakes I've seen are all great, albeit in different ways. Don Siegel (1958), Philip Kaufman (1978) and Abel Ferrara (1993).
          There was also The Invasion in 2007 with Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig. It's the same story.

Comment

There have been four film versions of ‘The Thirty Nine Steps’ from 1935-2008. I always thought the 1978 one with Robert Powell was okay.

Comment

His Girl Friday is one of the great screwball comedies, but it was a remake of the more sober The Front Page from 1931. His Girl Friday was later remade in the 1970s with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau (with the Hildy character reverting to a man, is in the original play/film), and as Switching Channels around 1987 with Kathleen Turner and Burt Reynolds, and set in a network news channel rather than in a newspaper. I wonder whether there could be a remake today; I rather think so.

The Maltese Falcon was also filmed in 1931 and again a few years later (1935?) before the John Huston version became a hit.

Ben Hur was one reeler in 1907, a huge hit as a silent movie in the 1920s, and even a bigger hit in the 1950s remake with Charlton Heston. Who knows whether the recent remake killed off the future of Ben Hur?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                There have been four film versions of ‘The Thirty Nine Steps’ from 1935-2008. I always thought the 1978 one with Robert Powell was okay.
                Should have called the last one "The One Hundred and Fifty Six Steps."

Comment

I'd probably add Batman / Spider-Man here as having a few different reboots

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

Should have called the last one "The One Hundred and Fifty Six Steps."
                    It certainly felt like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                      I'd probably add Batman / Spider-Man here as having a few different reboots
                      Dont think they even bothered trying to reboot Rocky. Just remade it in perpetuity.

Comment

Here Comes Mr Jordan

the original (and best ) is on YouTube

was remade as Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty and then as Down to Earth with Chris Rock

Comment

A Star is Born — Fredric March & Janet Gaynor (1937), Judy Garland & James Mason (1954), Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson (1976), Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (2018).

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                            Here Comes Mr Jordan

the original (and best ) is on YouTube

was remade as Heaven Can Wait with Warren Beatty and then as Down to Earth with Chris Rock
                            There was also an earlier Heaven Can Wait (1943), it's not as good as Here Comes Mr Jordan though.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                              A Star is Born — Fredric March & Janet Gaynor (1937), Judy Garland & James Mason (1954), Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson (1976), Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper (2018).
                              File under posts that will survive multiple remakes...

Comment

Working...
                              X