Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Femme Folle
    replied
    Maybe he couldn't find it because it doesn't show up as another season of Black Mirror. It took me a minute to find it at first.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by imp View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me as to why I can't find this on Netflix? And is the interactive component carried out with your remote control, or do you have to watch it on a computer (asking for my granddad)?
    It uses the arrow controls on the remote.

I don’t know why you couldn’t find it. Sometimes new things don’t immediately appear on the choices so you have to search.

Your daughter just posted about it on Instagram, so maybe you sorted it out.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 30-12-2018, 00:52.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied
    I'm having to watch on my Chromebook. You will need a mouse or touchpad. I assume that if you are able to watch on a newer smart TV, your remote would work.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Can anyone enlighten me as to why I can't find this on Netflix? And is the interactive component carried out with your remote control, or do you have to watch it on a computer (asking for my granddad)?

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    "Wouldn't you be in a more entertaining scenario?"

Very nice indeed.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I’ve only seen them in airports, selling magazines and snacks.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
    I didn’t know WH Smith sold music.
    In the 80s, WHSmith sold books, newspapers and magazines, stationary, records and home computers. And some electronic devices if memory serves (my dad had a WHSmith cassette recorder). And probably a few more things.

It was a good shop once.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    This is very helpful.

https://m.imgur.com/a/bQeXSYm

I recommend going back and forth and trying to get to all the endings shown on the flow chart. There are actually more different endings than this shows because all of the (spoiler)In Jail/No Bandersnatch(/spoiler) ones are not entirely identical. I suggest working from left to right and then getting to the one where he (spoiler)finishes the game successfully(/spoiler). Because that one makes a lot more sense if you’ve seen the other pathways.

Also, some of what appear to be dead ends give you a chance to go back to a point earlier, but then as you move back down again, some choices you had before are cut off.

So I haven’t reached every possible conclusion. I’m going to have to start it all over a few more times to do that.

It’s remarkable there’s actually a lot more to it than some critics I’ve read seem to think. I also loved the 1982 computer-games-on-tape-written-by-one-person set-up. Those were the days when I actually wanted to go into video game writing, but I learned I didn’t have the patience to be a computer person.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Somehow I had no idea this episode was coming until yesterday and didn’t know it would be choose-your-own-adventure. It’s impressively seamless.

I didn’t know WH Smith sold music.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    So the long-awaited Bandersnatch Christmas special is out today, which I plan on watching this evening.

However, I'm not sure if we'll be able to discuss it, as it's an interactive episode where you control the narrative.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Did is a bit strong. It was the weakest, but also the most topical. How far parents should go to protect their kids from reality is a timeless and universal issue. It deserves a longer treatment.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Yup. Callister was a great one.

Arkangel, filmed in Toronto and directed by Jody Foster was, I thought, a bit of a dud.

Hang The DJ was marvellous.

Crocodile was eerie looking (filmed in Iceland, of all places) and clever. Enjoyed it. But (and I'm not joking), I had to turn on closed captioning to understand some of the dialogue.

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    I switched off the first one (Callister) halfway through because it was boring and the acting was piss poor.

Leave a comment:

• Lang Spoon
    replied
    And almost Victorian moralism maybe has to be tempered as well. A show of comeuppance for the worst, for the most part.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    I think, if this goes to season five, Brooker has to broaden his pallette. Most episodes up to now have been on the themes of digital copies of humans, surveillance and social media.

Robots have barely been touched on at all. Or weird implications of quantum physics. Or DIY genetic manipulation. Time travel, even.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    OK

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Hang the DJ was really good, though I didn't entirely get the ending. Was that supposed to be them seeing each other for the first time when they meet for their first date after being matched by the machine?
    Yeah, pretty much.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    (why is it called Alligator?)
    The first comment on the avclub review of the episode offers:

"The title, IMO, refers to the crocodile’s brain—all limbic system, no empathy, no emotion, only self preservation at all cost. She kills to protect her young and herself."

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
    Enjoyed those.

If I've one criticism of this series, it's its willingness to return to the 'electronic sentient copy of your consciousness' trope, first seen in White Christmas.

USS Callister and Hang the DJ were the standouts for me. Crocodile was the only episode I was indifferent about.
    Yeah, I think it needs to get away from that, especially because that's way out in the future if it's ever going to happen at all. The one where she brings back her dead husband was the most intriguing of those, I thought.

I liked all the new ones. Metalheads was the most unique one, I thought. It wasn't really exploring anything new about how technology will present problems, insofar as the robots will destroy us is now a pretty standard sci-fi trope/legitimate anxiety. Metalheads was like if you took that Christian Bale Terminator film or the third Matrix film and just boiled it down to the essence.

Hang the DJ was really good, though I didn't entirely get the ending. Was that supposed to be them seeing each other for the first time when they meet for their first date after being matched by the machine?

Arkangel was kinda obvious, but then maybe that's the point in some way, like "Why didn't you see this coming?" It's also, perhaps, the most "relevant." Not that we have the tech to do that, but "do you really want to protect your kids from all stress and fear" and "do you really want to know what they're up to all the time?" are questions that parents should and do wrestle with (or so I'm told.)

The actress does look older than 15, but then so do many 15 year olds, and vice versa. There might also have been issues with finding an actual 15-year-old whose parents (or her) would be willing to pretend to shag that guy and bludgeon her mom. Just a thought.

Alligator (why is it called Alligator?) didn't really move me much, but it looked amazing and was perfectly constructed.

There's talk of a USS Callister spin-off series.

Although its been done too much, Black Museum was, I think, the first thing I've ever seen, I think, about "downloading consciousness" where it's happened against the individual's will, so that was interesting, as was the "twist" at the end. It also features Dionne Warwick's "Always Something There to Remind Me." I knew Naked Eyes' version was a cover but I'd never heard the original before.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Agreed on Arkangel—it was a little too much in the here and now and its plot and message were rather simple. Also there was no way Sara was 15; she looked like someone at university.

Crocodile was the weakest of the lot, I thought, but I still think you should watch it.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    I loved Callister, Black Museum and Metalhead. I liked Hang the DJ (thought the characters were meant to be that way - quite likeable and not extraordinary), but Arkangel was way too obvious in where it was going. Having said that, it was still very well made and acted. Haven't seen the Icelandic one yet as my family broke the house rules and watched it when I was out.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Enjoyed those.

If I've one criticism of this series, it's its willingness to return to the 'electronic sentient copy of your consciousness' trope, first seen in White Christmas.

USS Callister and Hang the DJ were the standouts for me. Crocodile was the only episode I was indifferent about.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I can't remember the plot of White Christmas, but perhaps you're right.

On the other hand, it seemed like during the time when her mom turned the thing off, the daughter recovered a bit from that overprotection. For example, she made friends with the scary dog.

Those girls were really bad at lying to their mom. If you're going to tell your mom that you're at so-and-so's house when you really aren't, you have to at least get that kid in on the caper and give them some incentive to lie for you. Even I know that, and I never lied to my parents about where I was.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    It wasn't just that her mom was monitoring her, but that she was being protected from any remotely unpleasant experience. That was the more damaging part, I think.
    That bit got dropped relatively early on, and only came back at the climax. I wonder if they felt it was too much like the White Christmas ending to emphasise that angle.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    It wasn't just that her mom was monitoring her, but that she was being protected from any remotely unpleasant experience. That was the more damaging part, I think.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X