Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    She, according to the show (I realise the description of emergency conception is wrong), secretly aborts her child's foetus. That's pretty damn unhinged.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Maybe we could have seen the mother become progressively unhinged
    I mean, we did.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
    The 'Star Trek' episode was all kinds of excellent. The only other one I've watched of the new series is Metalhead which was gripping but considerably less interesting than most others. Think I'll go with FF's recommendation and try Black Museum next.
    Black Museum is a bit better (for the purposes of spotting Easter eggs, mostly), though, if you've seen all the rest.

Hang The DJ was my favorite of the lot, followed closely by U.S.S. Callister.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    I thought as much. I couldn't figure out if it was some future Anglophone Iceland or filming Iceland for (presumably) Scotland.
    Either/or, I think.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    That was a really good one, I thought. Filmed in Iceland, apparently.
    I thought as much. I couldn't figure out if it was some future Anglophone Iceland or filming Iceland for (presumably) Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• Artificial Hipster
    replied
    The 'Star Trek' episode was all kinds of excellent. The only other one I've watched of the new series is Metalhead which was gripping but considerably less interesting than most others. Think I'll go with FF's recommendation and try Black Museum next.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    That was the one where we were supposed to believe that a small woman could effortlessly move the dead body of a grown man by herself.
    She's strong.

That was a really good one, I thought. Filmed in Iceland, apparently. I thought the ending was as good as any.

I agree that Archangel felt like something was missing, but was still very strong.

I didn't like USS Callister as much as everyone else. It was very reminiscent of The Twilight Zone with the kid who could do anything and trapped his family. And they never explained how he could recreate people with all their memories and personality just from DNA. Maybe he used that same program from that previous episode where a woman recreated her dead husband by mining all of his online presence.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 08-01-2018, 14:00.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    I actually thought this season was the most even so far as far as quality goes. There weren't any duffers as far as I'm concerned, though some hit harder than others.

Leave a comment:

• tracteurgarcon
    replied
    Originally posted by Reginald Christ
    *SPOILERS*

I thought it was quite a tense episode for the most part with a Hitchcockian undercurrent - part of me was secretly hoping the murderer would get away with it in spite of the mounting suspicions. But it pissed it away in the last third with an increasingly ludicrous body count, a daft twist and a complete damp firework of an ending. The episode looked beautiful - John Hillcoat is an excellent director - but it's among the weakest of the series.

Oh, and Andrea Riseborough was superb.
    Yep, agree, she was fantastic and, to be honest, even a bad episode of "Black Mirror" is better than 99% of stuff on TV.

The very nature of an anthology series is that it'll be a bit hit and miss (see also the excellent "Inside No. 9").

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Going back to last season, here's an update on China's implementation of Nosedive.

Leave a comment:

• tracteurgarcon
    replied
    Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    That was the one where we were supposed to believe that a small woman could effortlessly move the dead body of a grown man by herself.
    Totally agree and the "twist" ending was laughable and not in a good way.

The only thing that episode had going for it, IMHO, was that Iceland and Reykjavik provided a stunning background.

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    They were all good. Which one was #3 that you didn’t like?

Leave a comment:

• Femme Folle
    replied
    I've finished season 4 and discovered that I never watched season 3. Bonus.

Here's how I rate the episodes of season 4, from best to worst:

I didn't even finish watching ep3 because it was so bad. Ep1 and ep6 were almost a tie, but the Star Trek theme of ep1 gave it a slight edge.

Leave a comment:

• Gerontophile
    replied
    Maxine Peake, in it, innit?

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    Season 4 will launch on Netflix on December 29.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    Originally posted by Wouter D View Post
    You are indeed not alone.

Does anyone know a release date for Season 4 yet? It's supposed to be very soon.
    Me too. I found Be Right Back very moving as well.

I've just heard 'late October'. There's no official date I can find.

Leave a comment:

• Wouter D
    replied
    You are indeed not alone.

Does anyone know a release date for Season 4 yet? It's supposed to be very soon.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    I'm wearing a San Junipero T-shirt right now.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Black Mirror

imp wrote: As ever, I'm late, but catching up very quickly. Started from the start, gobsmacked and hysterical at the Cameron/pigfuck opener. Only when I saw Brooker's name on the credits at the end did it click. 'The Entire History of You' and 'Be Right Back' have had me raving about their economy, their wit, their insight, their execution, even if some characters are often verging on the cut-out, somewhere between one- and two- dimensional. But I don't think that matters necessarily in a short, moral tale - the point is the point. Still got nine to go, but I haven't enjoyed a UK series this much since The Thick Of It. (Did that ever come back, by the way? If it did, I'll probably get round to it in 2019 sometime.)
    Veep is pretty much just The Thick of It in the US, isn't it?

Though now in Trumpistan, Veep may just start to feel in poor taste. Because on Veep the complete ominshambles-clusterfuck feels, ultimately, fairly benign for the country as a whole. Whereas we're now living with a White House that is an omnishambles-clusterfuck that is very unlikely to be benign.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Black Mirror

As ever, I'm late, but catching up very quickly. Started from the start, gobsmacked and hysterical at the Cameron/pigfuck opener. Only when I saw Brooker's name on the credits at the end did it click. 'The Entire History of You' and 'Be Right Back' have had me raving about their economy, their wit, their insight, their execution, even if some characters are often verging on the cut-out, somewhere between one- and two- dimensional. But I don't think that matters necessarily in a short, moral tale - the point is the point. Still got nine to go, but I haven't enjoyed a UK series this much since The Thick Of It. (Did that ever come back, by the way? If it did, I'll probably get round to it in 2019 sometime.)

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Black Mirror

TVGoHome was pretty damn acerbic. His TV persona is more curmudgeonly, I guess, but that's probably just mellowing with age.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Black Mirror

Deceptively acerbic?

Leave a comment:

• matt j
    replied
    Black Mirror

Finished yesterday. (For some reason I thought there were 8 of them, not 6.) There is still a lot to appreciate in every episode, but some dipped a little too far into 'standard TV fare' realm.

Top notch : Nosedive, San Junipero
    Solid: Men Against Fire, Hated in the Nation
    So-so: Playtest, Shut Up and Dance

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Black Mirror

Three episodes in now. Still pretty fucking bleak.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X