House of Cards revived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House of Cards revived

Ooh, somebody uploaded the entire original House of Cards to Youtube. Might have a look at that.

Comment

House of Cards revived

the first one is worth watching. the second and third aren't so good.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I decided to watch the old HoC before watching the new one. The old one really does not hold up very well, I find. I had great memories of it, but it felt very forced and rushed. Mind you, it was made before American TV figured out the whole long-arc TV format, so probably anything that lasts under 12 hours feels forced now.

As for the new one: Spacey's brilliant. Corey Stoll was so good I can't see how season 2 could possibly be as good without him. I couldn't quite fathom the whole RWP arc because very little of what she does made sense to me. I get that she's supposed a driven woman with a career and agenda of her own, but she seems not to actually care about her agenda (clean water? what dat?). Mara's character was annoying, but then again I think she was supposed to be. Sad that she never called Spacey "daddy", though I suppose the cunnilingus scene on father's day was an oblique reference thereto.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I finished watching the first series now. It got very good towards the last few episodes. Probably one of the better TV series I've seen in the past decade. I thought they overcooked a few things, such as the unnecessarily graphic sex scenes, and the evilness of Underwood and Stamper (the writing went a bit far at Russo's end, I thought). But if you do your best to ignore those things then it's a very intelligent series.

I didn't realise that Robin Wright is Jenny from Forrest Gump. She's aged very gracefully, which reminded me that Forrest Gump is nearly 20 years old, which scared the shit out of me.

Comment

House of Cards revived

after two epidosodes, I think its very good

Comment

House of Cards revived

Power watching this. I'm on the 9th or 10th episode. Best thing of it's type I've seen in ages. Good ensemble cast, but Spacey is out of this world. Wright also very good.

I bailed out of the last Boardwalk Empire and Homeland as they both seemed to grind to a boring halt, but HoC has restored some of my faith in US TV shows of this type. High grade.

Comment

House of Cards revived

when are they releasing the new series?

Comment

House of Cards revived

Next month I think, trailer here. Which I haven't watched for potential spoiler reasons.

* Valentines Day according to Lord Michael Dobbs's twitter feed.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I shall be rejoining Netflix for a month then.

Comment

House of Cards revived

Just finished series one in a week long bite. As others have said the whole Slugline thing is preposterous. What's the business model? How do they pay for the expensive mural and comfy chairs. I assume the prize winning White House correspondent isn't being paid out of petty cash. There are also editorial contradictions. Zoe gets to write what she wants without any oversight. But the aforesaid PWWHC has to show her ideas to the Editor/Publisher/Copy Empress.

Overall it was fair to mediocre I feel. Watchable in one gulp, but if I miss the next series I won't cry.

Comment

House of Cards revived

Halfway through season one. It's good isn't it (as was the original)?

They haven't made the schoolboy error of just adapting the original; rather they've taken the basic premise and characters and done something different with it.

I think in both versions, the Mattie/Zoe character is basically a cipher.

What's the story with season three?

Comment

House of Cards revived

S1 is excellent, S2 is nowhere near as good, S3 is a return to form.

There's another thread on this though, I'm sure.

Comment

House of Cards revived

Season 4 is apparently not the last one. There will be a fifth. For fuck's sake.

I'm three into the latest season (four) now and I can't take this shit anymore. Why do American TV companies have to keep flogging the horse until it is well past dead.

Might have to just Wikipedia the plot for the rest of this season.

Comment

House of Cards revived

Nah, watch it, it's better that most other stuff that's on.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I liked season two; it's season three I'm struggling with. Too many political machinations and not much evil skulduggery.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I'm trying not to read this thread, cos we're on an epic box-set binge of seasons 1-3 and have just started 3. I reckon one's the best so far, but I do enjoy both its showiness and its lack of sentimentality for the "calling" of the US presidency

Comment

House of Cards revived

Robin Wright opening and closing large doors in tight one piece dresses while displaying a facial cold expression.

Comment

House of Cards revived

I've watched Season 4 and quite enjoyed it, in a soap opera sort of way.

Ellen Burstyn is excellent in it.

Comment

House of Cards revived

Season 3 seemed to jump the shark, and Season 4 didn't seem to be much better. However, I must admit about two-thirds through it I got more involved in it and it did get a lot more compelling, if no less ludicrous.

Comment

Working...
                                        X