No announcement yet.

Strictly 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Alex Scott was, but none of the male footballers have been exactly good. Robbie Savage and David James were both OK-ish.

Not saying Adams isn't exceptionally rigid even for his age and profession, but I think we need to make allowances for age, and he is by some years the oldest contestant this year. Double whammy, really, age - the body won't do what it could have done decades earlier, and the brain won't pick new skills up half as quickly. Old dog new tricks etc. Pamela Stephenson and Debbie McGee were both exceptional on that score.

Comment

Ooh, sorry, that was bollocks - just checked and he’s a couple of weeks shy of 56, so nearly 4 years younger than Kaye. I thought he was older, possibly because his appearance is a bit prematurely aged by his alcoholic years.
      Last edited by Evariste Euler Gauss; 02-10-2022, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
        OK, full line up now. Cut and pasted below from wiki, hope that works format-wise
        Ellie Simmonds Paralympic swimmer TBA Participating
        Ellie Taylor Comedian, actress & television presenter TBA Participating
        Fleur East Singer-songwriter & radio presenter TBA Participating
        Hamza Yassin Wildlife presenter & cameraman TBA Participating
        Helen Skelton Television presenter TBA Participating
        James Bye EastEnders actor TBA Participating
        Jayde Adams Comedian & actress TBA Participating
        Kaye Adams Loose Women panellist & journalist TBA Participating
        Kym Marsh Actress, singer & Morning Live presenter TBA Participating
        Matt Goss Singer-songwriter TBA Participating
        Molly Rainford Nova Jones actress & singer TBA Participating
        Richie Anderson Television & radio presenter TBA Participating
        Tony Adams Former England footballer & manager TBA Participating
        Tyler West Kiss FM presenter TBA Participating
        Will Mellor Stage & screen actor
        I've dipped in and out of the first two episodes but pleased to find I actually know 10 of the contestants, give or take, which appears to be (appropriately) the top score for this year among OTFers.

Definitely the two Ellies, Helen, Kym, Matt, Tony and Will, plus Fleur from an album cover if nothing else, Kaye by sight although have never watched her on anything, and Richie by voice from the radio and visually from him doing last year's 24-hour danceathon for Children in Need if I recall rightly – the latter of which suggested he'd be a shoo-in for Strictly in due course.

Loved Hamza last week although he struggled a little more this time, watched Jayde and Molly but didn't form a huge amount of opinion, and haven't got a handle at all on the other two yet as neither recognised their names or faces nor did I see either dance. Since they always send someone along from the Eastenders C-team I figured one of them was almost certainly from that, so pleased to see that my assumption was correct at any rate.

Haven't dared look at the results from earlier this evening. I'm hoping Tony Adams gets another chance, but good grief he was so wooden you could re-lay the ballroom floor with him and I can't hold out much hope for him avoiding the chop at the earliest opportunity.

Comment

The main takeaway I got from this weekend's shows is that Kym Marsh's partner clearly wants to fuck her given the way he was rubbing her hip while they were standing behind Claudia Winkleman on Saturday night. I know they all stand cuddled up to each other, but he was taking outrageous liberties on Saturday.

Comment

That would be quite the story, given that he only got married less than three months ago (and she got married, for the third time, last year). Not saying you're wrong, mind. And she is damned hot for a grandmother of two. I'm told he is also hot.

The temptations of the Strictly experience must be intense. Torture for most spouses I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by kokamoa View Post
              The main takeaway I got from this weekend's shows is that Kym Marsh's partner clearly wants to fuck her given the way he was rubbing her hip while they were standing behind Claudia Winkleman on Saturday night. I know they all stand cuddled up to each other, but he was taking outrageous liberties on Saturday.
              Gawd, yes I saw that too but it was so weird I must've instantly scrubbed it from my mind until seeing this. Thanks for the reminder, eek.

Comment

Three contestants with Adam’s for a surname? They’re just recruiting from a “celeb” A-Z aren’t they?
                I could name Tony Adams. I recognised the lad from “Two Pints…..”, the Bros feller and the ex-Blue Peter lass but had no idea of their names. Hopefully TA will be out soon and I can return to wasting time so other way.

Comment

I missed the Graziano/Kym handsy thing btw. The thing that most struck me from Saturday night's Strictly was Claudia's joke about pounds and dollars. When a presenter of an ultra-bland, cosy and apolitical show for a Middle England audience is taking a pot shot at economic chaos, you know the Government is really in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                    Ooh, sorry, that was bollocks - just checked and he’s a couple of weeks shy of 56, so nearly 4 years younger than Kaye. I thought he was older, possibly because his appearance is a bit prematurely aged by his alcoholic years.
                    Tony Adams age is one of the easiest to get for any footballer given the ubiquity of the quiz question- Who was the first player to be capped for England born after the 1996 World Cup win.

Comment

Claudia's great, isn't she? The analogue to this was Ant & Dec deriding Boris Johnson in the Partygate era. Which suggests the Tories haven't really moved forward much, despite the change of leader.

Away from the profoundly disturbing live on TV foreplay courtesy of Graziano, I'm quite enjoying the series so far. There are some great and appealing personalities especially Hamza, I think Ellie T and Helen could both have an interesting journey, etc. I'm warming much more than I thought towards Will so far, who although he's been in some of the crappest TV ever made, seems to love being on the floor and be relatively ego-less.

Comment

Originally posted by ale View Post

Tony Adams age is one of the easiest to get for any footballer given the ubiquity of the quiz question- Who was the first player to be capped for England born after the 1996 World Cup win.
                        1966 surely?

*spoiler below*
                        Adams seemed to come alive last night once his shorts were revealed. I can see that becoming a feature of any future performances.

Comment

Tony Adams's routine last night was harrowing. His face was grim death.

Tyler's dance was fantastic. I didn't realise quite how good until I watched it again.
                          Last edited by diggedy derek; 09-10-2022, 17:07.

Comment

Fucking rubbish voting again. When do the deluded fans of a certain north London club have a Saturday night match?

Comment

Doesn't reflect well on Strictly that all the terrible white dancers (Tony, Matt, James) got saved and Richie and Fleur were in the bottom two. Fleur is a beautiful dancer, so unjust. Shirley's judging reaches new levels on inanity as she says she would have saved Richie's wretched samba instead.

Sheesh. Not sure what's worse, boxing judging or the Strictly brainstrust.

Comment

I was stunned to see Fleur in the bottom two, and thought she’d been a bit under-marked. I thought James would be bottom two. He’s not the worst dancer but he’s really dull on the dance floor, I can’t see why anyone could be bothered to vote for him.

Apart from Tyler, Will is also great to watch. As is Fleur, but then she does have the advantage of being beautiful.

It’s a wonderful thing that 25 years on from Tony Adams being name-checked in TFM, he’s doing a TFM-themed routine on telly.

Comment

Tony Adams' cousin also scored the best goal ever in FA Cup Final history, until the one later in that game and then of course the goal of Saint Steven.

https://youtu.be/vTQBAP2RWXY

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                    Doesn't reflect well on Strictly that all the terrible white dancers (Tony, Matt, James) got saved and Richie and Fleur were in the bottom two. Fleur is a beautiful dancer, so unjust. Shirley's judging reaches new levels on inanity as she says she would have saved Richie's wretched samba instead.

Sheesh. Not sure what's worse, boxing judging or the Strictly brainstrust.
                                    The programme itself -being the judges- didnt make those decisions though. It was the people who watch it and then vote. How that reflects on Strictly is a whole new can of worms.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunderporinostesta View Post

1966 surely?

Surely.

Not really appropriate to this thread but any idea who first player born since 1996 semi final to play for England?

Comment

Surely.

Not really appropriate to this thread but any idea who first player born since 1996 semi final to play for England?
                                        Tammy Abraham?

http://www.englandfootballonline.com...1201-1300.html

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
                                          With Danny Welbeck being the first born after the 1990 SF

Comment

The programme itself -being the judges- didnt make those decisions though. It was the people who watch it and then vote. How that reflects on Strictly is a whole new can of worms.
                                            Well, yeah, and Motsi alluded to the public making a big mistake in ignoring Fleur. But there's wider problems with Strictly and the way, even if inadvertently, it seems to underplay the achievements and appeal of non-white folk. I think you could see it in the way they treated Rhys Stephenson (last year) and Karim Zeroual (three years ago) like they were still kids, and how Black dancers like Charles Venn often get discussed in terms of having good 'rhythm'.

In among the overall good vibes and acceptance of Strictly, there's a lot of micro-aggressions with sets the stage for non-white dancers often not doing quite as well as they should.

Comment

So everyone this week is dancing to BBC TV themes. OK. The Doctor Who theme is a tried and tested idea for Strictly.

I don't understand why one couple are dancing to Abba's “Waterloo”. What's that got to do with the BBC?

Comment

Waterloo won best song in 1974 in Brighton, when the contest was broadcast by the Beeb?

Comment

Hardly a theme or something widely associated with the BBC. Might as well have Radio Ga Ga because Queen played it at Live Aid

Comment

Still raging.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X