• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those dirty reds

Ah, good.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Oh, please tell me this isn't on in the UK yet.

I haven't missed it have I?

Comment

Those dirty reds

One of minor criticisms I have of the show — more of an observation really — is that real world events, particularly from a Soviet perspective seem to have little impact.

If I’ve got the chronology right the series begins at the tail-end of the Brezhnev era, some time in 1982(?) In Central HQ we see his portraits replaced by Andropov’s. Like the previous season, the current one takes place within the 15 months of the latter’s leadership. This was a time of massive structural change within the Soviet administration, as many as a third of of senior its senior personnel were changed. For the first time there were public admissions of corruption and inefficiencies. None of these are discussed, or even mentioned, by any of the characters on either side. Last week’s show ended with a jump in time of seven months. Based on the TV show of The Day After (which everyone was watching) we’re in late November 1983. A couple of months after the downing of KAL 007, and three months after the Soviet Union announced it was ceasing work on space-based weaponry, again neither of these are referenced.

In a purely dramatic sense none of this matters much, but in a historical one it surely gives something of a false impression. These was an important transitional period, the beginning of the dissolution of the Soviet Union. Though no one knew at the time that’s what was going to happen, we all knew something significant was going on. Yet for The Americans none of this appears to exist, let alone matter. It’s surely inconceivable that people who were “in-play” on one side or the other wouldn’t have talked, if only covertly, about what was going on?.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Apparently the final two seasons of the show will take place in the Soviet Union. All the key characters will be moved there.

It's a bold move, considering that a good part of its success has been based on 1980s US detailing. I'm hoping we'll get see Martha again however.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Is this true? It would totally undermine the show's premise. Also, the Washington Post's TV critic was just at a bunch of panels in LA and said that not much has been revealed about the next season.

Comment

Those dirty reds

So I understand, but it could be someone playing silly buggers. Given the end of the last season it's not impossible, though I'm not sure how the FBI angle would work.

Comment

Those dirty reds

Oh, I hope that doesn't happen. I like the setting. I wouldn't mind a road trip, a la Brady Bunch in Hawaii, but not a complete relocation. Where the dramatic tension there?

Comment

Those dirty reds

I'd love it, as I'm nostalgic for the SU of the 80s, and I love the Russian characters (Michael the younger looks like a young De Niro), but it would be a bold move, yes.

I've really enjoyed it, apart from some lulls (too much Pastor Tim for my liking) and some parts jumped shark almost.

Martha was a great character, so yes, it would be great to see her again.

Comment

Those dirty reds

As for the FBI, they could have a subplot, and show them in the US, just as they show us bits in the USSR, and in flashback, now.

Comment

Working...
                    X