Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sandbaggers

from the Professionals thread:

Tony C wrote: Taylor, are you actually watching old 'Sandbaggers' episodes at the moment, too? You've referred to the show a couple of times.

From memory, I recall 'Sandbaggers' as being pretty good - well acted, authentic looking scripts (well, as far as I could tell, I haven't a bloody clue what goes on in the security services) and smart-ish dialogue. I remember being genuinely rivetted by it as opposed to simply laughing at 'The Professionals".

I wouldn't mind buying some old 'Sandbaggers' boxsets - although they may have aged badly.
    Yeah, I rewatched series 1 and 2 of The Sandbaggers before Christmas (I'd only seen them about two and a half years ago, but they reward repeated viewing) and I'll be starting on series 3 again once I've got CI5 out of my system.

It has dated in the sense that its televisual grammar is from another age, and technically it's very primitive too - while The Professionals was shot entirely on film and on location, and is obviously trying as hard as it can to look like a feature film, The Sandbaggers is mostly studio-bound, multi-camera, shot on unforgiving 70s videotape (like so many of the greats). Most of the location shooting - apart from the London scenes - was done in Bradford and Leeds, which can double quite convincingly as the Eastern Bloc, less so Cyprus or the USA.

Its scripting, pacing and rather stagey feel are very old-fashioned too, and thank God for that. There's none of the look-at-me crap you get with even the best British dramas these days, no attempt to hurry everything along to the detriment of atmosphere and tension, no assumptions that the audience are thick, or are sitting there with fingers twitching on the remote. It travels at its own pace, is resolutely grim and cynical, and makes Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy look like fuckin' Octopussy.

And you remember right: it's fantastically well-acted, fantastically well-scripted, and while obviously more dramatic than it is realistic, it's rarely less than 100% convincing - the details of how the secret service actually works are spot-on by all accounts, which isn't surprising considering the bloke who wrote it was almost certainly a spook himself. In fact, series 2 is an episode shorter than the others because one script was found to have broken the Official Secrets Act, and the episode had to be pulled.

It's amazing, anyway, and everyone I know who likes old telly has fallen head over heels for it after just one episode. Me and delicatemoth were watching a couple of Pros episodes the other week, chuckling and chuntering all the way through, then we stuck on a Sandbaggers (not one of the more eventful episodes, and we'd both seen it in the last couple of years) and it was only when the "End Of Part One" slide came up that we realised we'd been sitting there in near-total silence for twenty minutes.

Roy Marsden as Burnside is just so fucking incredibly good you don't want to miss a second of him (the glacially-slow development of his character - very much in the wrong direction - is extremely well done too). The actual Sandbaggers, the crack MI6 agents, tend to have this weirdly stilted clubbability with a kind of deadness underneath; it makes sense that Willie Caine is the one we really get to know, since he's the one who vaguely resembles a properly-functioning human being, reacting to successive traumas with a growing restlessness he just about keeps in check. But there's something weirdly disconnected about Willie too, seen most clearly at the beginning of the second episode of series 2, in a scene I can't describe without spoilering the fuck out of the first episode of series 2 (which you really don't want, because it's stunning and best watched when you're unprepared).

It's brilliant at communicating the strangeness of these people's jobs, long periods filled with nothing but paperwork and interdepartmental intrigue punctuated with brief moments of intense danger and extreme violence. By the end, those scenes in the Ops Room with everyone swilling coffee and puffing a million billion fags with their sleeves rolled up - talking, talking, talking - are almost a cliche, but what's actually being said is so gripping at all times that you don't dare laugh or roll your eyes.

Also - as Purves Grundy, formerly of this parish, rightly loves to point out - the early episodes have the most fantastic fuck-you opening sequences for anyone expecting a conventional spy drama. The very first episode begins like this: we see Roy Marsden/Burnside walking through London. He stops at a shop window and pretends to look in it; turning back, his eyes follow whatever he was looking at until it disappears, and then he walks on. Cut to a shot of him striding down Whitehall, turning into a dingy sidestreet and entering a gloomy-looking office block. He storms into his office - a tiny room painted battleship grey, full of filing cabinets - and picks up an enormous telephone. He pushes a button, and two and a half minutes into the episode we hear the first line: "Micky? Neil. Am I on a random surveillance check? Yes, well tell them they're not very good. Front tail's old hat, couldn't miss him." He listens for a moment, then purses his lips tartly. "Mm," he says, and puts down the phone.

You sense at this point - long before the magnificent monologue at the end of the episode, where Burnside lays into the gung-ho secret service chief from Norway who's put British agents in danger, hissing at him that the Cold War isn't fought on the end of parachutes but in drab, dreary corridors - this is a different kind of series altogether.

In case you were in any doubt, episode two begins with a very slow pan across London rooftops and down into the street, where Burnside is leaving his flat on a bleak wintry day. The camera follows him walking for a while, hunched over and carrying a briefcase with a glazed expression on his face. Finally he reaches a bus stop, but his bus is just pulling away - he stands in the queue, shuffles his feet, exhales, looks around several times for another bus, then finally one comes round the corner. A montage shows him boarding the bus, the bus door closing, the wheels turning... then finally, it pulls up in Whitehall. Burnside gets off and quickens his step down the dingy sidestreet, into the gloomy-looking office block. He barges into his office, strides past his secretary without looking at her and slams his briefcase down on his desk. And then, three minutes into the episode, we hear the first line: "It gets worse and worse every morning," he says.

Just buy the complete boxed set from Network DVD (though you may be able to find it cheaper than that elsewhere - I did). It's one of the best television programmes I've ever seen in my life, and I can't imagine how anyone (with a tolerance for serious, stagey TV drama of the old school) could be anything other than thrilled by it.

Just don't watch them out of sequence, because it's got what they'd now call a story arc, and you really don't want to spoiler yourself.

The Sandbaggers

And people thought James Bond was cool? Check out Willie Caine if you want to know what a really stylish spy looks like.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Thank you, Taylor. I'm on this.

I do recall what a completely beguiling central character Burnside was - as a satorial footnote I always remember he wore great-looking, but rather generously-tailored tweed three piece suits. And he didn't smile much.

Both he and Ray Lonnen were excellent as you say, as was, if I remember correctly, Michael Cashman as the lower ranked operative.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Not much to add the the OP, except thanks, Taylor, for perhaps the definitive introductory treatise on The Sandbaggers.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Yeah, fantastic stuff. Again.

There was supposed to be a fourth series of 'The Sandbaggers' too, but this went south when the writer (he writes all but a couple of episodes of series three, I think) was presumed dead after his private plane went missing in the Caribbean.

Series 2 is an episode shorter than the others; part of the script was found to have broken the Official Secrets Act, and the episode had to be pulled.
          Didn't know that. I wonder how far into production it went and whether there's anything left of it.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

The go-to site for Sandbaggers info is The Ops Room, which doesn't seem to have been updated for an age, but is exceptionally comprehensive. I would approach it with caution until you've watched the entire series, though - spoilers pounce from the most apparrently innocuous pages. If nothing else, you should absolutely steer clear of the individual episode summaries.

Can't find any mention of the abandoned second series episode, unfortunately, beyond this:

Why does the second season have a missing episode?

Series creator Ian Mackintosh was a former Royal Navy officer. Anything he published had to be vetted to ensure he did not accidentally let slip any secrets. A second season script was rejected for contravening the Official Secrets Act
            The message board link is dead; and I emailed the guy who curates the site a while ago, to thank him for keeping it online, but he's yet to respond.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

This sounds ace. I'll try and track it down. Thanks. (Also, anybody who has got a hot tip for a series about The Double Cross System of WWII, see my nil thread.)

Comment

The Sandbaggers

The thing about The Sandbaggers, which I'd say is possibly my favourite television programme, is that it is written, acted and directed with absolute conviction and belief. As Taylor says, there are none of the tics that seem to infest so much modern drama - pomo in-jokes, fancy technique for the sake of showing off, endless quips. It is a drama series trying to be absolutely as good as it possibly can within its technical limitations, and by-and-large succeeding. Tony C, you are surely in for a treat.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Just watched 'First Principles' and wasn't disappointed.

The rather primitive production values do need a little bit of getting used to - Burnside's secretary was almost inaudible at first and my wife, with no prior knowledge, immediately recognised Saddleworth Moor doubling as Norway - but it was a sound story and a perfectly appropriate introduction to a world where double-dealing and manipulation are rife.

Burnside actually smiled a little more than I thought - but generally with gritted teeth. He's a compelling character - and those suits are wonderful.

As a footnote, I was very impressed with Amazon's free one-day delivery offer. I only bought this boxset online late Thursday night and it arrived this morning.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Yeah, that one's basically a pilot. It's just about establishing a certain tone, isn't it: "this show's going to look cheap, there's not going to be much action and you're going to have to concentrate." It's great, mind you.

The exotic locations don't get any more realistic, apart from a very convincing Warsaw in series 2 (it's just a council estate in Bradford, but they got lucky and it snowed the day before the shoot). Series 1 gets better very rapidly, though.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

I had never heard of the show but I took the plunge and bought it blind following recommendations on an archive TV forum a couple of years ago.

I can only concur with the comments above. It is absolutely superb.

Marsden and Lonnen rightly get lauded for their performances but a word too for Jerome Willis in a role not too dissimilar to Garfield Morgan's Frank Haskins in The Sweeney.

Kudos to Network DVD for releasing stuff like this. It's quite incredible the number of DVD's they've released from the ITV archives in the last few years.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Episode 3, 'Is Your Journey Really Necessary?' is thoroughly compelling but may be the bleakest hour of tv drama that I've ever seen.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

I followed the same course of action of Tony C and the box set arrived the other day. I watched the first three episodes last night. It's extremely good, but incredibly English (not an insult) and I suspect that, as an Irishman, there are certain things I'm not picking up on.

I found one aspect extremely jarring at first -- the switching between certain frame-rates of filming, i.e. in the aforementioned opening sequence Burnside is walking along the street and the frame rate is a slightly fuzzy 24fps, and then when he gets inside the office (and for all the subsequent interior-filmed scenes) it switches to a much smoother picture, the sort of picture that I automatically associate with 1980s English sitcoms and not dramas. For the first ten minutes of that opening episode, having been conditioned by years of seeing that particular style of filming in light entertainment programming, I kept expecting to hear a laugh-track erupting at any second.

The cast are all excellent. Some of them, in terms of their looks, bring to mind Gillo Pontecorvo's old saying about how he would always prefer to shoot people who had interesting faces rather than people who were generically handsome/sexy.

Burnside is a really mean-looking bastard. I didn't realise at first that it was the same guy who appeared in all those PD James adaptations.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Burnside is a really mean-looking bastard

And a bloody sight meaner on the inside, happily sacrificing pawns in order to improve his position in the long game.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Any scene shot inside Burnside's flat is just priceless.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Anyone who enjoyed The Sandbaggers might (might) also enjoy The Guardians, another Network DVD. Cyril Luckham plays the Prime Minister in charge of a puppet government, vainly trying to exert his influence following a coup by the paramilitaries of the title. The acting by most of the leads is very good.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Tony C wrote: Episode 3, 'Is Your Journey Really Necessary?' is thoroughly compelling but may be the bleakest hour of tv drama that I've ever seen.
                                  I shan't spoiler - but arguably, in their different ways, the last episode of series 1 and the first episode of series 2 are far bleaker. Have you got that far yet?

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Was just thinking last night, the three episodes written by other writers (after the show's creator Ian Mackintosh died) are bloody awful and a terrible stain on an otherwise perfect run - particularly the truly dreadful "My Name Is Anna Wiseman", from the storied pen of Charles Gidley Wheeler. I can understand why they hired Wheeler (he'd written for "Warship", Mackintosh's previous show, had a naval background and had previously written a bit of Cold War fiction) but... Jeez. Forced, clunky, implausible and mawkish. Anyone watching series 3 is going to have to wade through these to get to the much-better Mackintosh-penned final episode, but I advise taking on strong drink first.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Taylor wrote:
                                      Originally posted by Tony C
                                      Episode 3, 'Is Your Journey Really Necessary?' is thoroughly compelling but may be the bleakest hour of tv drama that I've ever seen.
                                      I shan't spoiler - but arguably, in their different ways, the last episode of series 1 and the first episode of series 2 are far bleaker. Have you got that far yet?
                                      Not quite, I'll be watching 'Special Relationship' at the weekend. I'm spreading them out a bit.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Tony C wrote: I'll be watching 'Special Relationship' at the weekend.
                                        Enjoy...

Comment

The Sandbaggers

By the way, Taylor, are you catching any of the 'New Avengers' reruns that have replaced 'The Professionals' on the ITV4 teatime slot?

I'd love to read your views on that.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Ah no, cheers, I hadn't noticed. That's a programme I haven't seen since about 1990 so I should probably have a look.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

£20.50 for the Complete Series on (whisper it) Amazon.

I'm sorely tempted to put aside principles, as this sounds fascinating. I've never seen it.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Toby, you've got a PM. Just in case you're interested in trying before you buy.

Comment

The Sandbaggers

Thanks Sam, I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X