No announcement yet.

Characters known only by their surnames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mr White, Mr Blonde, Mr Pink, Mr Orange, Mr Blue, and Mr Brown from Reservoir Dogs.

Comment

On a slight twist I love the scene where Terry finds out Bobs middle name in The Likely Lads when the wedding bands are read out.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
        Lovejoy (not the Soccer AM one). I don't know if the 'loveable rogue' was ever called by his first name in the source books, but he wasn't in the series, as far as I remember.
        I have one of the books but it's unread, I'm afraid. I've heard he's very different in the books so it might be best if it stays unread.

No, we never find out his first name. As VA says, he always corrects anyone who addresses him as Mr Lovejoy. The closest we get - and it's not very close - is at the beginning of series three, when he falls hard for Joanna Lumley. They spend the weekend away on a boating trip and she asks him and he replies, jokingly - Horatio.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
          Mr White, Mr Blonde, Mr Pink, Mr Orange, Mr Blue, and Mr Brown from Reservoir Dogs.
          The names of Orange, White and Blonde are revealed im the movie.

Comment

I'd forgotten that. It's years since I saw it.

Comment

Freddy Fuerendyke ( Orange), Vic Vega ( Blonde), Mr White's first name is Larry.

Comment

Quagmire - Family Guy
                He's called Glenn Quagmire far too often to be included here.

Comment

Problematic, stereotypical Nurse Gupte in Only When I Laugh - Gupte is a second/family name, but he never gets another name.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

He's called Glenn Quagmire far too often to be included here.
                    And also just Glenn on occasions. So no, that character definitely doesn’t count.

But that has now got me thinking about Brian from the same show. Brian is a dog. Dogs don’t have surnames. So it’s a first name... but then what of (different show) Garfield? That feels more of a surname than a first name...

Comment

Garfield is the surname of one of those american presidents to get shot. Also President Garfield is the name of the hornpipe I used to play in competitions on the mandolin back in the day.

It's the first tune here. I suspect that it's a tune that made it into the irish tradition from somewhere in north america.

Wikipedia suggests more prosaically that he's named after jim Davis's grandfather.James Garfield Davis
                      Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 23-05-2022, 00:07.

Comment

Pugh, Pugh, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb, as well as Captain Flack. Barney Mc Grew is the only one who gets his first name mentioned. The Trumpton firemen for those who don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                          Pugh, Pugh, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grubb, as well as Captain Flack. Barney Mc Grew is the only one who gets his first name mentioned. The Trumpton firemen for those who don't know.
                          Also Mr Troop, the town clerk
                          Various traders, including Miss Lovelace, "Chippy" Minton, Mrs Cobbitt et al

Comment

Agent Smith. From. The Matrix.

Plenty of supporting characters in Arnie films, Cooke, Blain, Mac, General Phillips etc. Some of them even survive.

Comment

Several characters in Ivor the Engine are only known by their surname and sometimes their surname and profession.

From the same creative team, Professor Yaffle.

Comment

Count Duckula

Comment

Penfold?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                                    I have one of the [Lovejoy] books but it's unread, I'm afraid. I've heard he's very different in the books so it might be best if it stays unread.
                                    Yes, I gather the books are a whole heap darker and nastier than the TV series, which was only very loosely based on them. By all accounts Lovejoy is a vastly less likeable character. Almost all of what I know about them though is derived from the TV Tropes page on the programme, where it's noted:

The books were much, much darker, involving more serious crimes including murders, and a Lovejoy who is not terribly likable and almost completely amoral about anything but antiques.
                                    • As mentioned above, Lovejoy's modus operandi in the books is to visit a neighbor's wife, sleep with her, borrow her car and whatever cash she has on hand, and then forget about her as he goes off to pursue his antiques schemes. Only the money-borrowing part remains in the TV show, and Lovejoy is much more of a conventional hero who always tries to do the right thing.
                                    • Tinker still drinks constantly, but never seems all that drunk, and is a much happier, more pleasant character than in the books.
                                    • In the books, the villains often would suffer potentially gruesome deaths, some of which were implied to be inflicted by Lovejoy, which as a somewhat unreliable narrator he would deny any involvement in.
                                    So I imagine actually reading one might not be a particularly joyful experience, indeed. Better to stick with the TV series – and perhaps listen along episode-by-episode to the Lovejoy Actually podcast...

Comment

I believe the actor who played Tinker flat out refused to play him as he was in the books, so we got the softer, more dapper version on the telly.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                        Yes, I gather the books are a whole heap darker and nastier than the TV series, which was only very loosely based on them. By all accounts Lovejoy is a vastly less likeable character. Almost all of what I know about them though is derived from the TV Tropes page on the programme, where it's noted:
                                        The books were much, much darker, involving more serious crimes including murders, and a Lovejoy who is not terribly likable and almost completely amoral about anything but antiques.
                                        • As mentioned above, Lovejoy's modus operandi in the books is to visit a neighbor's wife, sleep with her, borrow her car and whatever cash she has on hand, and then forget about her as he goes off to pursue his antiques schemes. Only the money-borrowing part remains in the TV show, and Lovejoy is much more of a conventional hero who always tries to do the right thing.
                                        • Tinker still drinks constantly, but never seems all that drunk, and is a much happier, more pleasant character than in the books.
                                        • In the books, the villains often would suffer potentially gruesome deaths, some of which were implied to be inflicted by Lovejoy, which as a somewhat unreliable narrator he would deny any involvement in.

So I imagine actually reading one might not be a particularly joyful experience, indeed. Better to stick with the TV series – and perhaps listen along episode-by-episode to the Lovejoy Actually podcast...
                                        Sounds like a potential 9pm Sunday night BBC Four 'noir' series, mind you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                          I believe the actor who played Tinker flat out refused to play him as he was in the books, so we got the softer, more dapper version on the telly.
                                          Dudley Sutton. His was a great character in that show.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post

Sounds like a potential 9pm Sunday night BBC Four 'noir' series, mind you.
                                            Everything gets a remake sooner or later, so you never know. Tom Hardy in the title role.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

Everything gets a remake sooner or later, so you never know.
                                              Not with BBC Four's budget right now. Unless you can make six hour-long episodes of a drama shot on various locations for 17p and a half-eaten Snickers.

Comment

I believe Ian McShane's production company still owns rights to the show, and he's talked periodically over the years about how people clamour for it to come back – but how he wouldn't want to return to the character himself unless the new show focused on, say, Lovejoy's daughter as protagonist, so he would be a more 'background' figure. The idea of making it a 'noir' remake could perhaps chime these days in the wake of Fresh Prince of Bel Air being reimagined as a gritty drama...

Comment

Sulu
                                                  Mr. Roarke (Fantasy Island)
                                                  Miyagi (Karate Kid)

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Miyagi's first name is mentioned in passing during the second film.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X