'Blade Runner', Philip K. Dick and film

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiki reveals Jeter to be a friend of Dicks and the inspiration for the Kevin character in Dicks novel "Valis".
    Jeter also coined the term "Steampunk" in a letter to a sci-fi mag in 1987.

I may give his sequels a try.

Comment

should qualify I s'pose why I don't think Ridley Scott would be a good director for 'The Forever War'.
      No you really don't have to. Scott's been rubbish since, what, Thelma & Louise?

Comment

Gladiator?

Watching that excellent documentary, Scott is obviously a crazy man but surely he is a trustworthy hand for anything vaguely Blade Runner-orientated? It is interesting that he turned back to the BR script after his younger brother, Frank, died after initially rejecting it. Of course, Tony Scott died last year

Comment

Total Recall was in the hands of Dino DeLaurentis with David Cronenberg set to direct at one time. The version that Cronenberg planned on making was very close to the book with Quaid being a mild mannered everyman. I think Richard Dreyfuss was attached to play Doug Quaid before everything went to pot.

Comment

I revisit Blade Runner every couple of years or so, and always manage to get something different out of it. The cleaned up version on Blu-ray was a major difference, as for years you couldnt really make out a lot of the work that went into the set on the bad video transfer. The art direction is one of the best on film, and because of the widespread use of digital effects I can't see it being topped for a long while. Personally, I find that computer graphics always look slightly off, even the best two i've seen (Avatar and Tin-Tin) look a bit weird to me. Blade Runner actually looks like a real place.
            Some of the dialogue is also amazing, and the older I get it becomes more relevant. When I first saw the movie I thought it was just a slightly ponderous sci-fi, then it became an interesting study of what being human is, now when I watch it, it makes me feel sad as its really about dying and the loss of memory as well.
            Anyway, although a pretty slow film at times, it's one of my favourites

Comment

I first saw Blade Runner, the original version, dubbed in Italian in a huge cinema in a small coastal town in Italy, in the afternoon. I was on my own. I remember sitting there, smoking and being transfixed by what went on the screen.

It certainly is in my Top 3 movies, seen it countless times in all sorts of version and there is a French poster of it right in front of me on the wall...

Comment

When I watch Blade Runner I think how if they made the film today it would be about two minutes before there was a car chase or a firefight and the whole thing would be rubbish. Plus they would have to settle the Deckard / replicant question.

Any sequel just won't have the same slow pace but that's what makes the original such a great film.

Comment

'Blade Runner' on BBC 2 right now, but - more importantly - 'Dangerous Days: On The Edge Of Blade Runner' is on directly afterwards, at 00:45!

Comment

Is it the director's cut, evilC? Because if so I might have to fire up the VPN later and see what the fuss is about. I've never seen it.

Comment

Well, it was worth staying up half the night for (again)! :-) (...And no, I haven't got any of the boxed sets with the doc in.)

When I first saw 'Blade Runner', as a (disconsolate) youth, it was the voice-over version and I absolutely hated it. Not only could I not see why people had liked it, I actually thought that it was like a bad joke. It was a long time before I saw the 'proper' version without the voice-over, but I loved it, when I did. For the first few viewings of it in that latter form, each scene seemed to last forever - like films in themselves - at first not in such a good way, but later more enjoyably. When I watched it, the other night, each scene seemed to fly by - I wanted them all to linger in my eye as much as they did when I was younger. Instead, I was trying to absorb all the detail in the few seconds I had. I think that having watched the documentary before this viewing contributed to that effect. I knew how much had gone into each scene and the film overall and I wanted to savour it, but it all just seemed so fleeting. I wish it was four hours long, I really do!

Comment

When I watch Blade Runner I think how if they made the film today it would be about two minutes before there was a car chase or a firefight and the whole thing would be rubbish. Plus they would have to settle the Deckard / replicant question.

Any sequel just won't have the same slow pace but that's what makes the original such a great film.
                        But isn't that largely why it 'flopped'/got into trouble with narrow-minded studio execs in the early 80s?

The action genre was arguably more simplistic and action-driven then.

Comment

Well it's not an action movie for a start. It's a film noir.

Comment

Yeah, but try pitching that to a studio.

Problem is you'd need big money for the special effects and nobody spends money on film noir.

(Unless you count Sin City)

Comment

Working...
                            X