The 'Modern Family' appreciation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While this has gone a little bit flat of late, I still find it highly enjoyable. There's usually one bit in each show that makes me genuinely laugh.

This week's one was right at the end when Cam said his show had been described as "transcendant" but had the decency to look embarrassed when he did so.

My favourite lines:
    "Did Mitchell have a beard in college?"
    "You're looking at her."

"I can still see it!" - Alex, washing her eyes after walking in on her parents en flagrante.

"Now all that driving around your Mom does will have a purpose."

"It turns out Fizbo's a bad-ass."

My favourite episodes:
    The Halloween one where Mitchell goes to the office dressed as Spider-Man
    The second Clive Bixby and Juliana one.
    The one where Mitchell thnks he might have a son.

Pretty much my favourite TV show at the moment. It's brilliant.

Comment

What Hof said

Comment

It's great, isn't it? Other than the small kid getting lines small kids wouldn't say (unless it's an ironic nod to Full House, which it isn't).

Sometimes the show overeggs things: Phil, Gloria, Gloria's kid and Cam tend to come close to be caricatures of themselves, but these moments are compensated for by the wonderful performances of the straight* characters: Mitchell, Claire and Jay especially.

* yeah, I know...

Comment

Doesn't matter whether it's drama, thriller, comedy, script and cast is what it's all about.

This show has both. Great ensemble and as Jongudmund said, always some real laughs. A lot of comedies raise smirks and nothing more.

Comment

So, we watched the season 3 box set that we got for Christmas. The one where all three Dunphy females have their cycles in sync is great.

"You're all monsterating!" has to be Luke's best line to date.

Comment

I'm going to come out and say it: I hate Lily. Never liked the TV cliché of the precocious, overly verbal kid to begin with, but she's also just unpleasant. I know that the point is that she's echoing what she hears the adults around her say, but all the time?

Comment

Yes! She is indeed annoying. Well, her character is. I think the little girl who plays her has excellent timing and delivery. This week's pay off line was at once excessively precocious and beautifully delivered.

And there have been a few annoying storylines and characters lately. MF used to be great because it was believable; now it asks the viewer too often to suspend their disbelief (like the story about the woman getting married tonguing the barman). That is never a promising sign.

Comment

I thought Season 1 was great and the early part of Season 2 too as well but then it started to sag alarmingly in terms of quality. It's still worth watching for the sharp one-liners but the lack of any proper development in any of the adult characters irritates me.

The producers seem to have preferred to go the easy route with their leads. At the beginning they were well observed with amusing and believable quirks, but each season has just exaggerated those traits to turn the characters into gargoyles.

There are certain characters I find utterly painful to watch because everything they do and everything they say is written to merely reinforce their particular traits and stereotypes. Gloria can't deliver a line, she can only bellow them "Hhhhhaaayyyyyy....Haaaaayyyyyyyy" (Jay) Manny's man-child schtick is utterly tedious. Claire and her obsessive, compulsive petty neuroticism is wearisome. Gay men like Cam don't have to lead lives in which the simplest of tasks can't be performed without grand flourishes.

In its drive to keep its big ratings I feel it has lost a lot of the edgy humour which was a big part of the first season. Look at the Shelley Long character as Jay's crazy first wife - one of the funniest scenes was her getting manhandled out of Jay and Gloria's wedding, drunk and shouting Latin American abuse at Gloria. By Season 3 she had been reinvented for the worse as a friendly and sympathetic figure. A loss.

Comment

As usual I'm late to the party. I love this show. I accidentally watched a couple of episodes when they switched it with Big Bang Theory after the 6 o'clock news and now I'm hooked.

Comment

Femme Folle wrote: As usual I'm late to the party. I love this show. I accidentally watched a couple of episodes when they switched it with Big Bang Theory after the 6 o'clock news and now I'm hooked.
                      I am like Femme Folle, a latecomer to the show but now absolutely hooked. I haven't enjoyed a show as much as this since I first watched Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Comment

Fucking hell, dalliance. Remind me never to watch Spongebob with you.

Count me in as another late convert - although I watch episodes from all over the place as our DVR automatically tapes re-runs, so I've no clue as to the overall story arc. But I don't think it really matters.

I was running the line at a boys' U11 game a few weeks ago, and a mother behind me sounded off with a voice and accent exactly like Gloria's, the whole game. "You aff to pressure eeeem!" Kept me entertained on a cold day for 70-odd minutes. I love Gloria.

Comment

I rewatched some episodes from season 1 a few days ago, and the difference in quality is apparent. I was very annoyed with recent storylines that hinge on movie references/parodies (the two mismatched cops cliché; Houston we have a problem etc). They weren't funny, they were predictable, and they were out of touch with the believability of the characters, which is the show's strength.

Comment

Working...
                          X