Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I thought we were talking about ESB?
    No we were talking about this series borrowing an idea from A New Hope.

Comment

Aside from the shit Marvel never ending fight sequence ... YES, YES, YES AND FUCK OFF YES

Comment

I don't feel my life has been enriched or my appreciation for Star Wars deepened by watching this series. I watched the final episode tonight and just thought 'meh' at the end. Almost felt glad it was over.

This may just be me feeling that everything is shit at the moment but I don't think so. Certainly the show didn't make me feel like everything was less shit. The Internet flubbed out halfway through the final episode. I picked up my phone and saw I had a message from my sister announcing that she had bought a house. That made me feel a lot happier.

I probably expect too much for Star Wars to have any emotional impact on me any more. It's been almost 40 years since I saw Return of the Jedi and began loving it.

Comment

I really liked this finale and hope there’s another season.

spoiler
          They didn’t try to explain how Leia will forget she ever met so I-Wan in ten years, but I suppose that’s not critical.

Comment

I think they absolutely did cover that - in that bit when he leaves, and he tells her to be careful in contacting him in future "in case it may endanger us both". I think Leia gets that she's to pretend not to know him in case Vader finds out.
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 23-06-2022, 19:51.

Comment

I thought it was a great finale.

The final exchange between Kenobi and schooled again Vader had some great bits. The change of eye colour and lightsaber glare when we see what's left of Anakin telling Kenobi to let it go, he did it willingly to himself was a great touch, and slots in well with the "he betrayed and murdered your father" line from A New Hope. Nods to Alec Guinness in the way Ewan McGregor held the lightsaber at times. Kenobi pose at the start of the fight.

The Grand Inquisitor's "I am so done with your shit" body language after Vader says they're going after Kenobi, never mind the Path spaceship was hilarious.

"Hello there."

Comment

Enjoyed it after sticking with it. Another little nod to The Searchers towards the end.

Comment

I thought this was the best of the TV series and probably better than some of the recent films. The first two episodes didn't really float my boat but then it got good.

@HP: I know you are much more of an expert on all things Star Wars than I am, but if I remember correctly, the message Leia puts into R2 that opens New Hope is "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi." Am I mis-remembering that? So, she does know who he is and that she needs his help if my memory is accurate.

Can someone remind me how Vader finds out that Luke is his son in Empire? If I remember correctly, Vader simply tells Luke this fact but we never know how that is discovered. I assume there might be another TV show that drops between New Hope and Empire to get to some of this stuff. But they're going to need to CGI that thing.

I would assume this Obi-Wan series is a one off since I don't know how much more than can squeeze out of him--Vader would still be chasing him. But who knows. And I wonder if there is something to come of the Third Sister arc.

Comment

It’s implied that he just senses it in The Force.

Or perhaps that’s a story they want to tell in a new season of Obi-Wan

Comment

Having seen it all now I think this was probably the most enjoyable of the Star Wars TV shows just knocking The Mandalorian (mainly the second season) into second place with The Story of Boba Fett back in last.

Saying that there was still a fair bit that didn't really make sense. When Vader and the Grand Inquisitor were arguing about whether to go after the Rebels or Obi-Wan I was shouting at the screen, "IF ONLY YOU WERE ON A BIG SHIP THAT CONTAINED LOTS OF SMALLER SHIPS AND SOME OF THOSE SMALLER SHIPS COULD GO AFTER OBI-WAN WHILST THE BIG SHIP CRUSHES THE REBELS!"

Comment

Trying to make logical sense of a series with space wizards, drug smuggler heroes, slug crimelords, elite mooks that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, laser swords, continual canon tinkering and a rabid fanbase that shows its ugly side too often is pointless. Just enjoy the ride.

Can you imagine the reaction Woke Princess Leia would have received if A New Hope was released today? Or Luke suddenly being able to pilot an advanced spaceship fighter in a coherent manner in battle formation? Deus Ex Solo? Bickering gay droids? A moon sized battle base being able to turn up anywhere in the galaxy and fry a whole planet? Etc.

SPOILER IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN IT OR CARES

Having rewatched the duel several times, the payoff is absolute fucking gold. Vader the apprentice, again getting a lesson from his Master. The pained breathing as his mechanics get damaged, echoing Return of The Jedi. The reason he has the scar on top of his head. Kenobi seeing the face of his friend again, totally fucked up, and you can see his heart breaking. The aforementioned blue/red transition and the acceptance.

Holy fuck, it would have been amazing on the big screen .

ENDS

Anyway, was anyone here in the cinema for the Big Reveal in Empire? I can't remember when I first saw it, probably at Christmas on the telly, but I imagine it must have been pretty "What?!?" seeing it for the first time ever at the time it came out.
                        Last edited by Eggchaser; 24-06-2022, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                          I thought this was the best of the TV series and probably better than some of the recent films. The first two episodes didn't really float my boat but then it got good.

@HP: I know you are much more of an expert on all things Star Wars than I am, but if I remember correctly, the message Leia puts into R2 that opens New Hope is "Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi." Am I mis-remembering that? So, she does know who he is and that she needs his help if my memory is accurate.

Can someone remind me how Vader finds out that Luke is his son in Empire? If I remember correctly, Vader simply tells Luke this fact but we never know how that is discovered. I assume there might be another TV show that drops between New Hope and Empire to get to some of this stuff. But they're going to need to CGI that thing.

I would assume this Obi-Wan series is a one off since I don't know how much more than can squeeze out of him--Vader would still be chasing him. But who knows. And I wonder if there is something to come of the Third Sister arc.
                          "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars... this is a our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You are our only hope."

I can't remember the line about the plans being in "this R2 unit" verbatim.

(This incidentally is the biggest tweak of the canon because it was always implied Leia didn't know Obi-Wan except as a story her father told her.)

We don't see how Vader finds out about Luke being his son in ESB. He just reveals it. There have been several comics and other media about how he finds out. I don't know which are now canon and which are legends. Luke gets it confirmed by Yoda in ROTJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                            Having seen it all now I think this was probably the most enjoyable of the Star Wars TV shows just knocking The Mandalorian (mainly the second season) into second place with The Story of Boba Fett back in last.

Saying that there was still a fair bit that didn't really make sense. When Vader and the Grand Inquisitor were arguing about whether to go after the Rebels or Obi-Wan I was shouting at the screen, "IF ONLY YOU WERE ON A BIG SHIP THAT CONTAINED LOTS OF SMALLER SHIPS AND SOME OF THOSE SMALLER SHIPS COULD GO AFTER OBI-WAN WHILST THE BIG SHIP CRUSHES THE REBELS!"
                            Thing is Vader then went off in his own ship to confront Obi-Wan anyway. He could have done that from the off and left the large ship to pursue the rebels.
                            The only conclusion I can come to is that Vader is big on environmental issues and runs a rechargeable electric ship that only has a range of a couple of parsecs.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

We don't see how Vader finds out about Luke being his son in ESB. He just reveals it. There have been several comics and other media about how he finds out. I don't know which are now canon and which are legends. Luke gets it confirmed by Yoda in ROTJ.
                              He could have killed Luke in the Battle on the Death Star and after ESB I always wondered if in that moment he sensed it then.

Comment

Hmm. He doesn't recognise him in the Trench, just that "The Force is strong with this one."

Like I said there are several stories where he finds out the pilot who blew up the Death Star was called Skywalker...

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                  Trying to make logical sense of a series with space wizards, drug smuggler heroes, slug crimelords, elite mooks that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, laser swords, continual canon tinkering and a rabid fanbase that shows its ugly side too often is pointless. Just enjoy the ride.

Can you imagine the reaction Woke Princess Leia would have received if A New Hope was released today? Or Luke suddenly being able to pilot an advanced spaceship fighter in a coherent manner in battle formation? Deus Ex Solo? Bickering gay droids? A moon sized battle base being able to turn up anywhere in the galaxy and fry a whole planet? Etc.

SPOILER IF ANYONE HASN'T SEEN IT OR CARES

Having rewatched the duel several times, the payoff is absolute fucking gold. Vader the apprentice, again getting a lesson from his Master. The pained breathing as his mechanics get damaged, echoing Return of The Jedi. The reason he has the scar on top of his head. Kenobi seeing the face of his friend again, totally fucked up, and you can see his heart breaking. The aforementioned blue/red transition and the acceptance.

Holy fuck, it would have been amazing on the big screen .

ENDS

Anyway, was anyone here in the cinema for the Big Reveal in Empire? I can't remember when I first saw it, probably at Christmas on the telly, but I imagine it must have been pretty "What?!?" seeing it for the first time ever at the time it came out.
                                  Yep. I fucking hated Empire as a kid because it was so bleak for the good guys but was blown away by the revelations including "There is another" (obvious looking back that it was Leia because of the telepathy between her and Luke but at the time thinking is it Han? Lando? Chewie?) and, obviously, "I am your father". What I find amazing, looking back, is that we had to wait three years (!!!) to find out, I can't even imagine that now.

Comment

Hmm. He doesn't recognise him in the Trench, just that "The Force is strong with this one."

Like I said there are several stories where he finds out the pilot who blew up the Death Star was called Skywalker...
                                    IIRC, Lucas hadn't decided if Luke was Vader's son at that point. I guess Plan B would have been for Vader, under whatever name, to have been a fellow Jedi-in-training with Luke's father, both under Kenobi's mentorship. The relationship goes sideways and once-and-future-Vader murders Luke's dad and then the story becomes about Luke seeking revenge and how that leads down a dark path.

I'm not sure when he decided that Leia was his sister. Already in ESB, Luke and Leia have a psychic connection through the Force. A lot is made about how he "makes out" with his sister, but she only did that to make Han mad, so it's clear even there that Han and Leia will be the couple in the future.

Comment

It would have made Han even madder if she'd made out with Chewie.

Comment

I'm not so sure. When she yelled at him that she would "just as soon kiss a Wookiee" his response was that he could arrange that as she could use a good kiss.

Which opens up another intriguing avenue of inquiry. How does Han know Chewie is a good kisser?

Comment

I always thought it was obvious that Han and Chewie got it on.

Comment

They do shower together in Solo

Comment

I'm not so sure. When she yelled at him that she would "just as soon kiss a Wookiee" his response was that he could arrange that as she could use a good kiss.

Which opens up another intriguing avenue of inquiry. How does Han know Chewie is a good kisser?
                                              I think he was making separate points.

As with Star Trek and a lot of science fiction, Star Wars poses a culture with technology we can only dream of but assumes that most aspects of culture will otherwise be just like our own. albeit somewhat less racist.

Comment

"General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars... this is a our most desperate hour. Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You are our only hope."

I can't remember the line about the plans being in "this R2 unit" verbatim.

(This incidentally is the biggest tweak of the canon because it was always implied Leia didn't know Obi-Wan except as a story her father told her.)
                                                And Luke meets him too, and Obi-Wan gives him the model starship. In SW:ANH, Luke is at least aware of Ben Kenobi in a way that suggests he has at least met him before, but thinks he's just a hermit in the desert, as Owen has encouraged him to believe. So that's all plausible within the story as its been told so far.

But there's no way that Leia would just forget Obi-Wan and I'm not sure why they aren't going to shove in a Deus Ex Machina explanation for why she does. Maybe we're just supposed to accept that a 45-year running story can't keep everything straight. It wouldn't harm the story they're trying to tell now by doing that. A bit cheezy, maybe, but comic book stories have done worse to make things fit.

At one point in the last episode (not really a spoiler), Obi Wan does say something to Leia along the lines of "it's dangerous for us both to see each other again." So they are recognizing that her biological parentage and, perhaps, the location of Obi-Wan's hideout, are important secrets.

So there it would make sense for him to figure out a way for both of them forget that they know who the other is. Vader and Inquisitor or, most likely, Palpatine, could use the Dark Side to pull that information out of either of them at some point in the next 10 years, which would jeopardize them both as well as Luke.

In ROTJ, Darth finds out Luke has a sister - I don't recall if he ever figures out it's Leia - because he picks up Luke's thoughts about her in the final battle. So that's a power the Sith have and it seems that a Jedi countermeasure for making people forget they know each other would be a valuable security tool for everyone involved.

Comment

It would be hard to imagine a scenario like this one and then having a 10 year old forget about the person who saved her life. Had the whole thing not been as drawn out and dramatic, it would certainly be understandable that a 10 year old would not remember some adult even a year later and esp. 10 years later. Parents among the posters will sympathize. I'm constantly shocked by the amount of times my daughter doesn't remember meeting someone. Again, what makes this situation different is that Obi-Wan saved her life; he's not some random "old guy."

Comment

Absolutely. But to really close that hole, he could have just somehow made her forget.

Either way, it really wouldn’t change the plot of Star Wars. IIRC, Leia never actually talks to Obi Wan in A New
                                                    Hope.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X