Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

I suspect a lot of the mouth-breathing fanboys who didn't like the arc of Luke in the recent trilogy will hate this too. They just want their heroes to be heroic and never doubt.
    See, that's one of the reasons I'm in a minority of people who quite liked The Last Jedi. When he threw away his lightsaber at the beginning and we saw the drowned X-Wing that felt like Luke was a real person for the first time in a long time. He was a total drip in all the Expanded Universe stuff that had been created before Disney.

Anyway, episode 3... hmm, didn't love it, didn't hate it. Felt a bit early in the series to have a climactic battle with Vader and the fight went on a bit. Also, when did lightsabers become torches? The glow off them was huge.

Comment

https://www.twitter.com/ugonnalacadena/status/1532365596859441153?s=21&t=pdwctnDcyHvkJZqK598gTg

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

See, that's one of the reasons I'm in a minority of people who quite liked The Last Jedi. When he threw away his lightsaber at the beginning and we saw the drowned X-Wing that felt like Luke was a real person for the first time in a long time. He was a total drip in all the Expanded Universe stuff that had been created before Disney.

Anyway, episode 3... hmm, didn't love it, didn't hate it. Felt a bit early in the series to have a climactic battle with Vader and the fight went on a bit. Also, when did lightsabers become torches? The glow off them was huge.
        Same

Comment

Although I continue to watch all of the Star Wars stuff, including slowly working through the Clone Wars, the more film/TV show content produced, the more holes are created. The thing I don't understand is why the jedi (and sith) are so inconsistent with their ability to sense what is going to happen and to use mental powers to move things. Obi-Wan has to shoot a bunch of storm troopers in this episode when he should be able to just throw them into the electric fence with his mind moves. I get that he's rusty but this seems to be a general inconsistency with everything made since Lucas sold the company.

Comment

He's trying to avoid detection and lighting up the Force like a beacon is going to get him killed very quickly. Plus, he hasn't used it for ages, stopping Leia falling was an absolute trial for him.

He"s at the bit in the king fu movie when he gets a whipping from the bad guy, but escapes with his life, so he has to remember who he is and get with the programme. It's a long way from the droid flinging, master of duelling deadpan snarker of the Clone Wars, or indeed the sassy old dude in A New Hope who trolls the fuck out of Darth Vader by letting him kill him by surrendering voluntarily, rather than giving Vader the satisfaction of beating him. I'm guessing Force Ghost Liam Neeson will appear at a vital point to either inspire him or give Vader pause for thought.

Comment

He's gonna need a montage.

Comment

Good god, that was dreadful. I mean the first two episodes were kinda ok, but that one, wowzers.
                Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 03-06-2022, 19:44.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                  Although I continue to watch all of the Star Wars stuff, including slowly working through the Clone Wars, the more film/TV show content produced, the more holes are created.
                  There was quite the revelation this episode about Obi-Wan being taken from his family at a young age... which puts the Jedi on a par with the First Order in many ways.

I will watch this through but there are diminishing returns at work. I won't bother watching Andor.

Comment

I believe that was mentioned it alluded to in Clone Wars.

Comment

I haven't watched the entirety of that show and I have a feeling it would be less impactful hearing it from a cartoon character.

Comment

It is.
                        The advantage of the cartoons - and comic books - was that they didn’t have to care what critics or the mass audience thought about it. It was just for the fans. Not even just kids, really. The cartoons are just Filoni’s vision, really.

Comment

The third movie hugely ripped material from the Dark Empire comics. They changed a few names, but the whole clone emperors and the secret planet was all there. Weirdly considering how they went mad with big ships they missed putting in the Eclipse. I much preferred the comics story line, (I've not read it for a few years), in which iirc it's Luke, Leia and the few students Luke had managed to train that ended the emperor. The whole story line made more sense, whereas the films lost continuity and butchered some storylines. Understandably to follow the original comics they would have needed to film that in the late 80s/early 90s to have the main characters at the right age. In those Luke turns to the dark side and takes his father's place at the emperors side, hoping to defeat him from within. Hardly a drip, but I understand what you mean in later books where he tried to be an impassive, wise headteacher type.

ps that dagger pointing to a place on the fallen death star was one of the stupidest conceited "puzzles" ever.

and the idea of the emperor having a granddaughter and not knowing about it doesn't make much sense at all.
                          Last edited by Harbinger of Hope; 05-06-2022, 13:14.

Comment

Back to OBK. I thought it was OK. For a guy who's supposed to be hiding he's doing a very shit job. Reminds me of Peter Jackson changing LOTR so Frodo goes to Osgiliath and stands waving the ring in front of a nazgul when in the books he was stealthily sneaking through the woods trying not to be detected. There's not much "action" in hiding though...

Comment

There was quite the revelation this episode about Obi-Wan being taken from his family at a young age... which puts the Jedi on a par with the First Order in many ways.

I will watch this through but there are diminishing returns at work. I won't bother watching Andor.
                              This is fairly long standing. In the phantom menace there is loads of talk about this and that Anakin is too old and has become emotionally attached to his mother which is precisely how his fall begins.

Comment

He's not hiding himself though, is he, he's hiding Luke and Leia. The reason he was so reticent to help Leia through the Force is because he'll know he's done that, so Vader will know he's done that. If this follows or patches up canon then in ten years' time then not only will Vader have no force knowledge of who Leia or Luke are (even while they're on the Death Star) or that Obi-Wan was on Tattooine, until he encounters Obi-Wan in combat.

I have just spent almost ten minutes of my life thinking about and typing that out. I'm now into my fifties.
                                Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 05-06-2022, 13:08.

Comment

He's also going to - by some force mumbo jumbo - wipe any personal recollection Luke and Leia have of him, despite their clear memories of what happened/will happen here, otherwise there won't be Leia starting episode 4 with "General Kenobi you served with my Father in the Clone Wars" or Luke never having heard of him at all.

Sol Invicta, that's another ten minutes of my life wasted on being a better amateur executive producer of this shit than either George Lucas or anyone at Disney.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                    He's not hiding himself though, is he, he's hiding Luke and Leia. The reason he was so reticent to help Leia through the Force is because he'll know he's done that, so Vader will know he's done that. If this follows or patches up canon then in ten years' time then not only will Vader have no force knowledge of who Leia or Luke are (even while they're on the Death Star) or that Obi-Wan was on Tattooine, until he encounters Obi-Wan in combat.

I have just spent almost ten minutes of my life thinking about and typing that out. I'm now into my fifties.
                                    He's hiding them primarily, but himself as well. He can't watch over them or train them if he's dead. I agree with the rest, they've trampled through a lot of existing storylines. We now know why Lucas refused to sell all those years. He knew what they had planned. I don't quite understand why he didn't make more material himself though. Disney have proved there was plenty to go at, and appetite for it
                                    Last edited by Harbinger of Hope; 05-06-2022, 13:19.

Comment

I suspect Disney are gearing themselves up for the big, big plan to reshoot the Original Trilogy (and "fix" them in the process).

Comment

Originally posted by Harbinger of Hope View Post

The third movie hugely ripped material from the Dark Empire comics. They changed a few names, but the whole clone emperors and the secret planet was all there. Weirdly considering how they went mad with big ships they missed putting in the Eclipse. I much preferred the comics story line, (I've not read it for a few years), in which iirc it's Luke, Leia and the few students Luke had managed to train that ended the emperor. The whole story line made more sense, whereas the films lost continuity and butchered some storylines. Understandably to follow the original comics they would have needed to film that in the late 80s/early 90s to have the main characters at the right age. In those Luke turns to the dark side and takes his father's place at the emperors side, hoping to defeat him from within. Hardly a drip, but I understand what you mean in later books where he tried to be an impassive, wise headteacher type.

ps that dagger pointing to a place on the fallen death star was one of the stupidest conceited "puzzles" ever.

and the idea of the emperor having a granddaughter and not knowing about it doesn't make much sense at all.
                                        Totally agree on your PS, that was shit.

Yes, OK, Luke was alright and heroic in Dark Empire. In the Timothy Zahn novels and the novels that followed on he was a boring drip. The authors were much more interested in Han & Leia and their kids.

Comment

I suspect Disney are gearing themselves up for the big, big plan to reshoot the Original Trilogy (and "fix" them in the process).
                                          It's people like you what cause unrest.

Comment

So it has come to my attention that some people are saying episode three was great. It's a funny old world, isn't it?

Comment

Episode four was my favorite so far but definitely because it was basically a twist on a bulk of New Hope.

Comment

I thought episode 4 was the best so far. Bit of darkness in the "tomb" - who were those people and were they dead? - and a good fight scene. Slight fan service alert with the T-47s.

Comment

All dead, trophies. One of them was a youngling that Anakin offed off screen at the end of the third prequel, the first one we saw was a Jedi from an episode of Clone Wars.

Ben's getting a bit of his Obi-Wan swagger back with the lightsaber twirl.

Fanbois whinging about the fact the armour of the Stormtroopers he killed in the torture room offered some resistance to the lightsaber, showing that they fundamentally misunderstand the Rule of Cool.

Comment

I get why people don't like this. It's not really breaking any new ground and it probably should have been a movie instead of a TV show.

But I'm really liking midlife crisis Obi-Wan and the Darth Vader who isn't really in charge. He's just a hitman for the Empire, really. That's even the case in Star Wars. The other generals openly challenge him and think he's a bit of a zealot. Until he force chokes them.

The purpose of Stormtrooper armor has always been a bit unclear. Probably the best way to explain it away is to suggest that it's designed to repel certain kinds of light weapons, but that the weapons everyone uses in Star Wars can still penetrate it and the reason why they all have blasters is because they need something that can cut armor.

A bit like cuir bouilli armor in the middle ages. Better than nothing, but anything much more substantial would be too heavy.

We also never see Stormtroopers die the kind of horrible death that would likely be caused by actually being hit by a blaster which appear to be some kind of plasma bolt guns (maybe possible someday. Hopefully not). In real life, that would cause big ugly burn/wound. But it's for kids so they can't show that. Or perhaps the armor just dissipates the blast and the armor is actually keeping them alive, albeit knocked out. We never see them carry away bodies of dead Stormtroopers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X