Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

Which is why he's good playing real (or based on real) people

Rest of it, I can't stand (with the possible exception of "Big")
    Dragnet as well, simply for the "Pagan Dance" scene in the chief's office.

Comment

Dragnet (the 1987 film) is bloody brilliant and I refuse to countenance any dissenting opinion.

Comment

I think I agree with HP in spirit but Lang Spoon in practice on the OP question.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
          Number one for me is (was) Robin Williams. He never could turn off the schtick.
          Came in to say Robin Williams. I think he only turned off the schtick for One Hour Photo, which is a brilliant film.

Comment

Ah! The "He was good in that one thing, but otherwise...." reminds me to say Jim Carrey. My god he's unwatchably horrible or horribly unwatchable.

Comment

I really ought to dislike Carrey much more than I do. I don't know why I don't. Maybe I'm just not putting the effort in.

Comment

I love Jim Carrey - the slapstick in things like Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura is perfect Sunday afternoon, lounge around, watching. I also love him in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                  I think I agree with HP in spirit but Lang Spoon in practice on the OP question.
                  Plato vs Aristotle.

Comment

Ace Ventura contains really nasty anti-trans bigotry, one of the reasons I need to put more effort in disliking Carrey. Eternal Sunshine is one of the reasons I don't.

Comment

Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy most certainly killed people's kids with their long-standing anti-vaccine stupidity. Plus OTT mugging does my head in, and that's pretty much his stock-in-trade.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                        Ace Ventura contains really nasty anti-trans bigotry, one of the reasons I need to put more effort in disliking Carrey. Eternal Sunshine is one of the reasons I don't.
                        Google Cathriona White, and Cappawhite.

Comment

It's only the Truman Show for me with Carrey. His OTT mugging makes him unwatchable in anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Dragnet (the 1987 film) is bloody brilliant and I refuse to countenance any dissenting opinion.
                            Seconded.

"What was that description again?"
                            "Big. Bad. Stupid lookin'"
                            "A spot on match."
                            Last edited by blameless; 24-11-2021, 19:15.

Comment

Originally posted by David Agnew View Post
                              Came in to say Robin Williams. I think he only turned off the schtick for One Hour Photo, which is a brilliant film.
                              There is also Insomnia.

Comment

That was the first Christopher Nolan I saw, set the tone for boring as fuck masquerading as art quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                  It's only the Truman Show for me with Carrey. His OTT mugging makes him unwatchable in anything else.
                                  He's great in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And I'll forgive him for The Mask and Dumb & Dumber as well.

Comment

Yeah, Carreys a weird one. Obviously it worked in The Mask, Dumb & Dumber is great, The Truman Show is brilliant and Ace Ventura I really enjoyed until that bit, which totally soured the entire film.

Comment

Having seen Adam Driver on Graham Norton’s show I have to withdraw my dislike. He doesn’t take himself too seriously which is essential for all celebrities.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        That was the first Christopher Nolan I saw, set the tone for boring as fuck masquerading as art quite well.
                                        Best description of his films I've heard.

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't buy into him as some sort of cinematic visionary.

Comment

Having began watching House of Gucci last night (I left the screen after an hour as some fucking cretin would not get off her phone), i'd add Jared Leto to the list if he hasn't already been mentioned. I have previously liked him in American Psycho and Panic Room but recently i've found him utterly unbearable (Blade Runner 2049) and in HoG, where he makes Al Pacino look subtle.

Comment

I can forgive Jim Carrey for most things since he wound up Mussolini's granddaughter.

Comment

Agreed on Williams and Carrey. I find Ben Affleck completely unable to create a character I can relate/warm to; I think it's a legacy of really hating his character in Chasing Amy.

Comment

Affleck is a better director than actor, but he’s good in that recent basketball one. I think he’ll be more useful as an actor now that he’s aged into more roles like that.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
                                                  Having began watching House of Gucci last night (I left the screen after an hour as some fucking cretin would not get off her phone), i'd add Jared Leto to the list if he hasn't already been mentioned. I have previously liked him in American Psycho and Panic Room but recently i've found him utterly unbearable (Blade Runner 2049) and in HoG, where he makes Al Pacino look subtle.
                                                  That’s his thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                                    Affleck is a better director than actor, but he’s good in that recent basketball one. I think he’ll be more useful as an actor now that he’s aged into more roles like that.
                                                    The best acting performance I've seen Affleck give was as George Reeves in Hollywoodland. One of the most under-rated American movies of the last 20 years.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X