I just don't like you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    The only major quibble I'd have with it is that it didn't really dwell on Pop larkin being a straight out pagan.
    When I read the books aged about 14 the major quibble I had was that they never filmed anything based on HE Bates's final volume in the Larkin sequence. With the benefit of hindsight, however, I've long come to realise was that it would've involved a shitstorm of protest if they'd attempted to cleave even halfway close to the plot.

I believe David Jason and Pam Ferris did record a relatively faithful two-hander version for radio a few years afterwards, though quite how much got cut or bowdlerised I couldn't say.

Comment

A significant part of the modern comedic repertoire was stolen/adapted from Yiddish Theatre

Comment

There's a bbc show called Old Jews tell Jokes, that makes that abundantly clear. These people are clearly drawing on a long life immersed in a culture where the ability to tell a joke well was a very important part of the oral tradition. There's an art to it. It's just not really a thing here, I mean you get comedians, and people tell jokes, but it's simply not the same thing. The father ted writers (when they were both still with us) made their structural debt to seinfeld very clear and explicit.
        Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-10-2021, 19:46.

Comment

Originally posted by wishis View Post

But works well in Cabin Pressure
          Only when standing in for Tom Goodman-Hill

Tom

It's Tom

Don't autocorrect my copy

Comment

An actor who just came to mind and made me think of this thread - John Lithgow. It might be just the tone of his voice but I have never been able to warm to him in any movie.

Comment

Really? If I had to bet I'd put my house (figurative) on you loving Third Rock from the Sun.
              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 07-11-2021, 12:14.

Comment

He's the big baddy in one season of Dexter, and he's absolutely fucking terrifying. You're definitely not going to warm to him in that.

Comment

Number one for me is (was) Robin Williams. He never could turn off the schtick.

Second, Tom Hanks. The guys is so vanilla.

Comment

Yeah, obviously you're not meant to warm to him as a villain. (Although some villains are more than bearable on screen.) It's just even in stuff where he is meant to be likeable I just don't like him.

I watched a few episodes of 3rd Rock From The Sun and didn't stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                      Number one for me is (was) Robin Williams. He never could turn off the schtick.

Second, Tom Hanks. The guys is so vanilla.

Which is why he's good playing real (or based on real) people

Rest of it, I can't stand (with the possible exception of "Big")

Comment

Also, Julia Roberts

Comment

Anybody who is there via influential parents/relatives involved in the film industry, and boy there are so many.
                          The two who give me the biggest shits at present are Timothee Chalamet and Kristen Stewart.

Normally a bit shit and wooden, yet there will be one performance in something that will be pointed to as an example of 'but they were really good in this', where said actor has been directed to within an inch of their life.

Well, if I was shit at a job but then had one good shift because my manager was guiding my every action, then on the next shift was shit again, I'd be shit at my job, but if my parents knew the manager i'd be golden, I guess.
                          Last edited by Mr Delicieux; 07-11-2021, 14:39.

Comment

To follow up on my previous comment, there's a fun (depressing) game you can play called 'does the actor whose fame baffles me have blue named relatives on Wikipedia?'

9 times out of 10, they do.

Comment

What does Wikipedia have for nepotism..?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Delicieux View Post
                                Anybody who is there via influential parents/relatives involved in the film industry, and boy there are so many.
                                Even the Redgraves?

Comment

Stewart is an odd one. Whenever I've seen her on or off screen she seems so intensely bored. As if the very effort of turning up was enough, and being required to actually do anything as taxing as saying words or listening to someone else is such a terrible blight on her life.

Comment

Sir Anthony Hopkins for me.

maybe it’s the beady look in his eyes but he always looks to be hamming it up to me.

Comment

He is a horrendous old ham.

Comment

I'm going to get my head handed to me for this but anyhow...

It seems to be a Welsh proclivity, I think it's got something to do with enunciation. It's very clear and resonant, almost too much. It tends to sound sort of contrived to English speakers elsewhere. Hopkins, Richard Burton, Dylan Thomas, even Tom Jones singing voice has the same quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                          It seems to be a Welsh proclivity, I think it's got something to do with enunciation.
                                          Not up here, it's not. If anything, it's the opposite. Dropped letters and lazy vowels are rampant.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                            I'm going to get my head handed to me for this but anyhow...

It seems to be a Welsh proclivity, I think it's got something to do with enunciation. It's very clear and resonant, almost too much. It tends to sound sort of contrived to English speakers elsewhere. Hopkins, Richard Burton, Dylan Thomas, even Tom Jones singing voice has the same quality.
                                            Tom Jones voice makes me feel queasy. And his hair.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Tom Jones voice makes me feel queasy. And his hair.
                                              So you're calling for Delilah?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                                Seth Rogen. Can't stand anything he's in as a main character.
                                                Cunt of an actor, excellent person. But, I understand the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  Adam Driver
                                                  FUCK YOU! (OK, I see it.)

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                                                    Nothing to do with her acting ability- maybe she's just played a lot of unsympathetic characters in the films we've seen her in- but neither Frau 1974ddr nor myself can abide Tilda Swinton.
                                                    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

She's just too good.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X