Clear All

Seconded on Cumberbatch and Ferrell

Comment

Emilia Fox
      Andrew Scott
      Eddie Redmayne
      Sandra Oh

Comment

Some very good shouts. Meryl Streep does a thing, which presumably she gets hired to do, where she laughs with abandon at something inane that another character is saying. I guess it's supposed to inject energy into an otherwise flat scene, but it just makes her look a tit. When she's playing low-key, like in The Devil Wears Prada, she's great.

Comment

Count me as another one who doesn't get the fuss about Meryl Streep.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
            David Jason
            Dangermouse and Count Duckula are pretty much the high points for english culture in the 1980's.

Comment

I hate hate hate A Touch of Frost. He's shit sandwich in Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses should have stoped long before the one off Christmas special years. Dangermouse was great though.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-10-2021, 16:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                Not an actor, but Angela Scanlan makes my flesh creep for reasons inexplicable.
                She's by all accounts extremely nice and very sound. The energy you have to inject into your everyday personality to present TV is extraordinary, to maintain a bubbly and upbeat brand must be killing. Something that shocked me when attending a few of the second captains shows when I was not long out of hospital, was the gap between talking to Eoin seconds before he'd record a link or an intro, and the way he'd have to talk when the camera was rolling was extraordinary. Even restrained stuff is full Panto.

That an post ad annoys me though.

Comment

I hate hate hate A Touch of Frost. He's shot sandwich in Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses should have stoped long before the one off Christmas special years. Dangermouse was great though.
                  Darling buds of May was really good. I bloody love those books, and it's difficult to imagine a better ma and pop larkin than pam ferris and him.

My dad watched all the Touch of Frost series, and then when he got his cpap machine he watched them again and stayed awake through them all this time. They're not that bad. Once you remember that the show is mostly about the social and private disintegration of a flawed man who is heading for retirement, in a job that doesn't really suit him, but that he can't imagine living without, and his efforts to hide these problems.
                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-10-2021, 15:38.

Comment

Amy Huberman, another of RTE'S jobs for the boys and girls. For those who don't know her, she's Brian O' Driscoll's other half, which I'm sure is just a coincidence.

Comment

Oh no that fuckin thing. "Perfick" oh Christ the memories, the pain. Every fucking thing in the red tops had some kind of "perfick" headline jammed in if they could, every Sunday evening at gran and grandads, even more of a oh shit tomorrow is back to school drag than Highway or Last of the Summer Wine.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                        Amy Huberman, another of RTE'S jobs for the boys and girls. For those who don't know her, she's Brian O' Driscoll's other half, which I'm sure is just a coincidence.
                        She is more talented than Vogue fuckin Williams though, or the trite as fuck Donal Skeehan.

I'm just waiting for the inevitable and RTÉ giving those Happy Pear cunts a show to be total super positive sub Paltrow woo cunts in. Their fucking slop that has the SUV scarves and shawls crowd queuing out the door in Greystones, it's fuckin vegan school dinners or canteen food at stupid prices. Hope someone spikes their organic fairtrade nosebag with bathroom cleaner.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 26-10-2021, 15:42.

Comment

The only major quibble I'd have with it is that it didn't really dwell on Pop larkin being a straight out pagan.

Comment

Nothing to do with her acting ability- maybe she's just played a lot of unsympathetic characters in the films we've seen her in- but neither Frau 1974ddr nor myself can abide Tilda Swinton.

Comment

Adam Samberg.

People rave about Brooklyn 99 but I just can't get past the fact that he's in it.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                Adam Sandler
                                Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                Adam Samberg
                                Well what do you know! Two different people it turns out

I only came here to say Meryl Streep but I see this has been comprehensively covered already.

Comment

I hate hate hate A Touch of Frost. He's shot sandwich in Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses should have stoped long before the one off Christmas special years. Dangermouse was great though.
                                  And in Do Not Adjust Your Set?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                    And in Do Not Adjust Your Set?
                                    I weren't even born.

Comment

I know, that's why I asked...

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Well what do you know! Two different people it turns out

I only came here to say Meryl Streep but I see this has been comprehensively covered already.

It is Andy Samberg, not Adam

Comment

This thread was made for Lang Spoon

Comment

There's an entire genre of comedy involving geeky leads struggling to engage with the alpha tasks expected of the main characters I'm such roles that completely passes me by. From Brooklyn 99 through scrubs I think it's kind of why I wasn't too keen on Seinfeld. And when I've thought about it a bit more I'll hopefully come up with some non Jewish examples and not sound like a stormfront article

Comment

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlemiel

Comment

David Jason gets an exemption purely for his performance as Mr Toad in the stop motion version of The Wind in The Willows.

Comment

I like everyone mentioned in this thread. You all are just missing out.

That doesn't mean I like everything they make. Adam Sandler in particular, has made some garbage, but when he's in something good, like his last special, it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Ah, I didn't know that the thing I was talking about was quite so culturally specific.Though it has clearly been co-opted by to pick an example out of the air, Father Ted..

Comment

Working...
                                                    X