Many Saints Of Newark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many Saints Of Newark

I have had a look but can’t see a thread as I know EIM has seen this. Anyway, firstly, relax, yes, it’s very good. It’s certainly The Sopranos’ “El Camino” in the respect that it was never going match the series but ultimately satisfying. Very Tarantino-esque I thought in its use of soundtrack, set-pieces and references to other films (not least some of Tarantino’s). Ray Liotta was excellent but it did make you compare it to Goodfellas. I was surprised about who the main protagonist was but that made it interesting. Well worth seeing and I will definitely watch it again with subtitles

I like the look of the cast list.

Comment

Oh, that casting is excellent. There are a couple of areas where the attention to detail to depict the older characters doesn't quite work but, in the whole, it all works. I have just realised that I last saw Nivola playing a sub-Indiana Jones figure in the underwhelming Black Narcissus so this a great step up

Comment

Great stuff

Can anyone who's seen it answer this spoiler please?

Nmmn

(Voided until I can post hidden spoilers)

Did Junior have Dickie killed just because he laughed at him at the funeral?

(And tell me why I can't hide spoilers inside square brackets?)

Hey yeah
        (Spoiler added now)
        Last edited by Guy Profumo; 26-09-2021, 07:33.

Comment

Do you need to put the word in capitals?

Comment

I can change the thread title to show it includes spoilers

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
              I can change the thread title to show it includes spoilers
              No, that would be unfair

Comment

does this work?: Show

You need to leave out the last S from the tags, to make the word singular. Also, in the opening tag only, you must put something like SPOILER="whatever text you want to use to display as a Here Be Spoilers message, in place of my Does This Work?".

Comment

Sheep that’s great
                  “I’d been”: Show
                  wondering how to do these, thanks.

Comment

I saw it today and wasn't wholly impressed. I think Vera Famiga and Michael Gandolfini are the best things in it. They needn't have tried shoehorning characters in.
                    Unfortunately I think there will be at least one more prequel but i'd rather they leave it be.

Comment

I've a bad feeling about this, and the El Camino comparison above has only increased it. That 'film' was pointless.

Comment

El Camino was ok, it wrapped up Jesse's story nicely for the fans. If they make another average Sopranos prequel, it'll be like Ridley Scott slowly ruining the Alien films.

I can already imagine Young Ralph Ciferetto and the take down of Feech's card game. Just let it be.

Comment

TMSofN was odd. Loads in for Sopranos fans, but no real story to speak of. Any coherent plot or arc was sacrificed for self-indulgent injokes and nods to stuff mentioned in the series. The actors got mannerisms and movements spot on, but it all felt a bit Stars in their Eyes or Stella Street. So while I really enjoyed it while sat watching it, I felt weirdly empty and cheated afterwards. I might have to watch it again when it's on Netflix, see how I feel about it a second time.

Comment

I'm just back from seeing it, and
                            the answer to Guy's question (in his spoiler tag) is: Show
                            yes, it appears that was the last straw from some earlier annoyances
                            Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 27-09-2021, 09:18.

Comment

...but yes I share the general view - I was surprised how much of the running time went on the earlier part of the story for a start, and there wasn't a lot of depth to the bits that were actually relevant. I expect they will make another story, and it's arguable that they'd be better doing it as a ten part TV series and developing it at normal Sopranos pace rather than rushing through a greatest hits set in two hours.

Comment

Oh and last point - couldn't help but think of the young Homer Simpson when young Tony was.rocking out in his bedroom.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  I'm just back from seeing it, and
                                  the answer to Guy's question (in his spoiler tag) is: Show

yes, it appears that was the last straw from some earlier annoyances
                                  Agonisingly, I cannot get that to show.

Comment

Neither can I now, though it seemed to work last night.

Comment

Am I the only one who thought the actress playing Livia really looked like Carmela, so there was something a bit Oedipal going on in Tony's later life?

Comment

No, you're not alone in that, I thought that and have seen it mentioned in reviews since (I avoided any reviews before watching it).

Comment

Thanks people

Comment

I liked it. It managed to tread the fine line between telling an interesting story set within the confines of the sopranos universe, without being derailed by fan service, and my antennae were quivering. David chase seems to have understood better than any other person operating in this genre that he's telling stories about toxic masculinity first and foremost, and everything has to be seen through this prism. I also like the pettiness at the heart of the twist. It seemed to be considerably more faithful to reality than say any part of the godfather.

Comment

I thought it was ok. I watched a lot of the original series but not all of it and not at all since it was on the first time. It's such a long series, I can't imagine committing to it now. Same with The Wire. I just feel like it's too late.

Comment

Like a lot of these box set shows, maybe it's better to watch them in bursts of episodes, than one at a time as they're released. I only started watching it live from series five on, and it was a very different experience.

It's certainly the first TV show I watched where there was so much in the details, that it almost required a second viewing so you could keep track of what was going on in the background

Comment

Working...
                                                X