Boardwalk Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boardwalk Empire

OK, don't shoot me if there's already a thread on this, I find this site almost impossible to search effectively. Just point me to it please!

Anyway, I'd welcome any views on BE, and whether it's worth the time commitment of a box set viewing. I was wholly unaware of it until learning of it from tributes paid on the death yesterday of the great Michael K Williams. It sounds potentially very interesting, but when I looked at the Wiki page (link below), the last couple of paragraphs in the "Critical Reception" section suggest that Steve Buscemi is miscast and unconvincing in the most important role, which sounds as if it could rather spoil it. Thoughts?

Boardwalk Empire - Wikipedia

Yes, It's slow to get moving, but that's because it's so enormously massive.

Steve Buscemi is great in it.

Comment

I just didn't find it compelling enough to care about or stick with.

Comment

I saw S1 and Buscemi is great, as are many of the cast and period detail. But there’s some sex in it far more gratuitous than would be the case in a post Me Too world.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          Yes, It's slow to get moving, but that's because it's so enormously massive.

Steve Buscemi is great in it.
          Many big series are, it allows them to flesh out the characters in a way that most films are unable to do. This is why I prefer a great series over a great film, it's like a novel compared to a short story.
          BE is definitely worth the investment, and I agree that Steve Buscemi is great in it, as are many others such as Kelly Macdonald, Shea Whigham, Michael Shannon (always) and Steven Graham made a surprisingly good Capone.

Comment

Don't forget Michael k Williams. Chalky white was an amazing role. A character as rooted in the all too plausible, in contrast to the superhero qualities of the omar role.

It's very instructive in teaching you how the USA operated in the interwar years.

Comment

Yes it was an excellent series, very well worth the time.

Comment

Working...
              X