• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Football match commentary in films / TV

The Day After Tomorrow

Our Friends in the North

(films about football don't count)

Comment

We should probably distinguish between genuine commentary and faked commentary, the latter being far more common because either the fiction writers are creating an imaginary time and place (not placing the fiction in a historical date) or because they don't have access to the rights (or don't think it's necessary to acquire them if they can just get a minor actor to fake it).

Comment

Open goal here, Kes

Comment

Grimsby. Which wasn’t one of Sacha Baron Cohen’s greatest moments.

It briefly featured England beating Germany in the 2016 ‘Cup Final’ via a goal from Raheem Sterling (who appeared as himself). None of which was especially convincing.

Comment

The telly version of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy features Barry Davies commentating on an Ipswich game as background noise in a couple of scenes.

Given that this was a BBC production, I'm guessing they just lifted the sound straight from an episode of Match of the Day.

Comment

Trainspotting and apparently a re-recording by Archie Macpherson.

Comment

There's an outtake of Auf Wiedersehen Pet where Kevin Whately is listening to the radio and Newcastle score, causing him to break character.

Comment

In Hollywood movies having football on TV in the background is a reliable indication that those watching are Bad Guys. It's in The Equalizer (Russian mob), Taken 2, and assorted Latin American settings.

Whereas the dozing American security guard or cop is not a Bad Guy, just incompetent, so the game he's distracted by is usually baseball or some other non-corrupting sport.

Comment

As we all know, the football commentary will be in Foreign, and a goal will be scored at a critical moment distracting the Bad Guys allowing our hero to sneak past and into the building they are protecting. Sometimes just at the last possible moment - which suggests some absolutely brilliant planning on the part of our hero to shove brown paper envelopes to the players to time the goal perfectly.

Comment

In Jason Bourne the assassin (bad guy) is at home watching football on TV when he is contacted by the CIA and given his kill orders. Looks like a Serbian league game. (Jason has never shown any interest in football, despite his impressive command of European languages, immersion in local culture and array of passports).

Comment

I know this is relating to a programme about football but I've got to mention it.

The last "commentary" that Brian Moore ever uttered on television was for the one-off part comedy drama, part mockumentary Bostock's Cup, shown the night before the 1999 Champions League final and never repeated, released on physical media or made available to stream due to the rights nightmare of clearing all the licensed 70s music and match footage.

Comment

Bostock's Cup is on YouTube. Not great quality, but better than nothing.

https://youtu.be/tgdZK8T40qM

Comment

Yeah, there was a better one I ripped from there a couple of years ago that's since disappeared. I'm surprised any upload of it survives on there for any length of time.

Comment

Not commentary but the first Mission:Impossible film has a scene where the Premier League results from one of the 1994\95 season's weekends are heard on a radio.

Comment

I remember Bostock's Cup. I've never seen another reference to it! I remember it being reasonably amusing.

Comment

In the film version of Fever Pitch, Colin Firth mentions that he's watching Saint and Greavsie. I can't remember if you see or hear any of it.

Comment

Working...
                                  X