When films mangle your local geography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon View Post
    I also am surprised that Butterflies was filmed in Cheltenham. One just assumes that is set and filmed in the south east.

The Good Life was set in Surbiton but the producers couldn't find suitable properties next door to each other in Surbiton and so settled on Kewferry Road, Northwood.

The new series of All Creatures Great and Small is excellent Sunday night fare but it is filmed in a different area of the Pennines than its predecessor and, indeed, where the vet himself worked. Meaning, possibly, that 'Herriot country' as a geographic entity might well shift significantly southwards if the popularity of the new series continues apace.
    He worked out of a practice in Thirsk, in the Vale of York, not in the Pennines

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

He worked out of a practice in Thirsk, in the Vale of York, not in the Pennines
      Indeed he did. But his work often took him to farms in the Pennines and most of his stories take place while he was working as a vet on farms up in the Dales. My rather clumsy point was that the original BBC series was mostly filmed in the Northern Pennines, whilst the newer, Channel 5 series was filmed further south, mostly around Grassington. There is a significant geological difference in the landscape if one compares the two programmes. As the new Channel 5 series is such a success, I thought that maybe 'Herriot Country' might have to shift significantly southwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Lymeswold Snork View Post
        Although The Good Life was set in Surbiton, I think Tom was seen getting home from work via Norbiton station. Maybe it was easier to film there because it's less busy; also more picturesque, though you'd think the concrete blocks of Surbiton would be a better contrast to the Goods' ploughed-up front garden. But Norbiton isn't such an amusing name.

Not that they're far apart anyway.
        The mention of Norbiton always sets off a Galveston ear worm for me. Thank me later.

Comment

Originally posted by Giggler View Post

I remember a Football Night on the BBC in about 1998 (not Goal TV, which Seb Patrick uploaded to YouTube, which went out in 1994) which had a Bob Mills clip show on it, sort of like In Bed With Medinner but all about football. I think it showed some of this episode of Casualty. Holby City were playing Selwood.
          23m 05s into this video:

Comment

Working...
          X