Distinctly unusual casting decisions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distinctly unusual casting decisions

Edwina Currie's tryst with John Major would have been rather more understandable if he actually did resemble Jonny Lee Miller:

https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/status/1408379478552858624

Maybe it's akin to the multitude of actors who have played Andy Warhol on screen. Pop on the wig, put on the glasses and hey presto! You're Andy Warhol / John Major.

Comment

I think this will work out well. He's a good actor.

Comment

Perhaps they can get Benedict Cumberbatch to play John Redwood to Miller's Major, then every second episode they can swap roles, just like they did with the creator and the monster when they did Frankenstein together on stage.

Comment

Leonardo di Caprio could play Norman Lamont.

Comment

Sold!

Comment

Steve Martin playing a straight role as Meryl Streep's love interest in It's Complicated - just didn't work. Great performance by Alec Baldwin as her sleazy ex though.

Comment

A recurring character in one series of Ally McBeal was credited as being played by Dame Edna Everage. I can't work out whether that's the same as Peter Richardson playing Al Pacino playing Arthur Scargill, and Jennifer Saunders playing Meryl Streep playing his wife, in The Strike, or the exact opposite.

Comment

Just a recurring cameo in character, I'd have thought - similar to if Brendan O'Carroll guested in a BBC programme, other than MBB, in full drag.

Comment

Originally posted by Discordant Resonance View Post
                    Edwina Currie's tryst with John Major would have been rather more understandable if he actually did resemble Jonny Lee Miller:

https://twitter.com/TheCrownNetflix/status/1408379478552858624
                    I've heard from a couple of people that many women found John Major incredibly attractive in person. He was like Cary Grant,

Comment

Perhaps he just took his glasses off? Plain Jane John Super Brain, and all that.

Jonny Lee Miller is older now than Major was when he became Prime Minister, disconcertingly enough.

Comment

Jonny Lee Miller in that photo looks like he could play the lead role in a biopic of current world 9-ball pool champion Albin Ouschan, who's 18 years younger than him.

Comment

"For a vegetarian Edwina, you're a fuckin' evil shot."

Comment

Jonny Lee Miller is a minor hero of mine, inasmuch as living in the States and missing his trips to Stamford Bridge was apparently one of the strains that undermined his marriage to Angelina Jolie.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                              Perhaps he just took his glasses off? Plain Jane John Super Brain, and all that.

Jonny Lee Miller is older now than Major was when he became Prime Minister, disconcertingly enough.
                              Wow. JLM is three weeks younger than me.

Comment

I once served him pints in the stag's head for at least two hours. It was only when he was gone that one of the regulars told me who it was. Thing is I'd already seen hackers and trainspotting so had no excuses

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! That reminds me how twice I've had long conversations with people then found out afterwards that they were Wales rugby internationals.

Comment

Bradley Walsh as Pop Larkin.

Fucking hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                      The Awesome Berbaslug!!! That reminds me how twice I've had long conversations with people then found out afterwards that they were Wales rugby internationals.
                                      That must be easy enough to do, now that random punters are now as built up as rugby internationals.

It can be much worse if you actually recognise the person involved. I had brought up an empty crate to put under the counter to hold all the babies. (Ginger ale, white lemonade mixers) and I was leaning down to swap the full crate with an empty, and as I was standing up with the crate, I saw Seamus Heaney sitting across the bar in front of me, I stepped back, smashed my back into the ledge and dropped the crate on my foot. I think it may have been the funniest thing he'd seen in a few years, but he was most solicitous in his concerns for my wellbeing. I muttered that I was grand, and scurried off mortified on three different levels, in considerable agony, and I could feel the bar manager's glare even when downstairs in the keg room.

Comment

I worked in a Dublin city centre post office for over 20 years, and I served many famous and semi famous Irish people, as well as a sprinkling of foreign famous people.

There were three occasions when I knew the person was famous even though I didn't recognise them. Two were actors, Maura Tierney and Marton Czokas, and the other was a motivational speaker that authored about 20 books and had a load of videos on YouTube.

It's hard to describe, but they all had a certain presence , although Ms Tierney was in a foul humour with someone on the other end of the phone.

Comment

I wouldn't recognise the fella from Adam, but I haven't seen that Ruth negga film loving. Though the ER woman would ring a bell, though I'd likely attribute it to her looking very American.

You've surely got an aidan gillen story. Everyone in dublin has an aidan gillen story. He's the bang bang or fortycoats of the twenty first century

Comment

Never met him, Liam Cunningham and Colm Meaney are as "Dublin in the rare oul times" as you can imagine

Comment

Gordon Bennett. Everybody in Ireland knows everybody else in Ireland shock...

Comment

I can only imagine every Aidan Gillen story involves a shitload of gak. Or he just gives off that vibe, the no-talent ham.

Comment

Hah. There's no angry reply to that you can meaningfully stand over for any length of time. I was born in cork because my mam didn't want to be looking at a past pupil when she was indisposed. (GO rather than ls obv)

Comment

Working...
                                                  X