No announcement yet.

Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At home, relaxing, everything's fine, nobody else around. Go to fridge. Open door. When you close the fridge door again, there's somebody there. Somebody scary (or comically angry).

(can happen with other doors too, but fridges are major players).

Comment

Often happens when closing a mirrored bathroom cabinet too.

Comment

Any group of hookers on a street corner in the deadbeat end of town will always look like they should be walking on a catwalk rather than a carefully litter strewn pavement..

Comment

And if any of those hookers becomes a featured character, she will not be a hopeless drug addict, and will not have a pimp, or a child. Instead they are a savvy businesswoman who has their own place, and is paying for college, or planning an early retirement after a few more years.

Comment

If an actress is playing a dying character, film her with no make up , if it's an actor, tell him to lose 20,/30 pounds.

Comment

If a character has died while playing a record, it’s almost inevitable their record player will not have an auto stop when the record ends. This way, when they are discovered a repetitive clicking will be audible.

Comment

Originally posted by willie1foot View Post
                My father-in-law does it if you say 'shit'.
                Does he not understand the instruction, then?

Comment

Chatting shit about somebody, only to realise via the alarmed expressions of their audience that 'they're right behind me, aren't they?'

Comment

It occurred to me watching the latest Ted Lasso that when it came to the Christmas Present Opening Scene I was absolutely completely expecting the present from dad to kid to be something terrible, embarrassing and unwanted. Because that's what always happens in a TV or Film Christmas Present Opening Scene.

Comment

I thought that cliche was undermined slightly early in the episode when everyone got booze but Colin got a handknitted Wales scarf from Bumbercatch. "I find it soothing", "Thanks mate, I can wrap my booze in it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                        I thought that cliche was undermined slightly early in the episode when everyone got booze but Colin got a handknitted Wales scarf from Bumbercatch. "I find it soothing", "Thanks mate, I can wrap my booze in it!"
                        I was actually thinking that the whole episode subverted the cliche. What interested me was that I was just totally expecting the present to be rubbish and embarrassing - the fact that it wasn't was a real surprise.

Comment

Agreed - the entire episode (and show) walks various tightropes really well. I'm trying to think of moments of cringe and they aren't any - even when characters get their deserved comeuppance, it's done in a positive way. Mrs P wasn't feeling too great one evening and simply said "Can we put the Ted Lasso Christmas episode on again, I need cheering up."

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                            At home, relaxing, everything's fine, nobody else around. Go to fridge. Open door. When you close the fridge door again, there's somebody there. Somebody scary (or comically angry).

(can happen with other doors too, but fridges are major players).
                            Nah

That's The Return of the Pink Panther

Comment

Ooh, the series Devils! Wall to wall clichés, takes itself deadly seriously and is utterly hilarious. Spooks meets wheeler dealers with Ferraris.

Comment

Surprise Parties - an opportunity for the person on the receiving end to either lash out about how awful all their friends are, or reveal some shameful event or desire, only for everyone to leap out from behind furniture to yell SURPRISE!! Or sometimes to half-heartedly SURpri...se.

Comment

I've seen that scene so often I feel deprived that it's never happened to me. Maybe a surprise arrival in a bar or somewhere ("hey, didn't know you were back!") but people going to that much trouble, with all those decorations and everything ... nah. *sniff*

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    Surprise Parties - an opportunity for the person on the receiving end to either lash out about how awful all their friends are, or reveal some shameful event or desire, only for everyone to leap out from behind furniture to yell SURPRISE!! Or sometimes to half-heartedly SURpri...se.
                                    And/or the surprisee has already figured out that there's a surprise party he (usually a he) really doesn't want -- "You know I really hate surprise parties" -- but is told "Just pretend you're surprised". Which he then does half-heartedly. In the course of the party, The Big Reveal.

Also, where do these miserable fucks get so many friends from???

Comment

Well that's another thing. It was really noticeable on Friends. Here is a fairly exclusive group and then suddenly there are all these people at a party. All their other friends who have never ever been seen before.

Comment

Yep, also wedding parties.

Not one committed to film has ever gone off smoothly. Not one.

Comment

Just seen the classic "wakes up from a dream into a confusing / scary situation which is also a dream" storyline in action.

Comment

This is more of a cinematography cliché. But explosions... typically in a silly action film someone sets a bomb off in a building and before you know it the whole building is erupting with gouts of flame. As the heroes exit at speed the entire building explodes like a firework.

What makes buildings in movies so combustible/ explodable?

Comment

Cops storming the front of a building whilst the villains exit out the back. What happened to forming a cordon?

Comment

A power cut slowly working through block after block of a city, about a second apart, rather than just cutting out for everyone at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratorello View Post
                                                  Cops storming the front of a building whilst the villains exit out the back. What happened to forming a cordon?
                                                  Or indeed, anything involving a cameo by a Corden

Comment

Rambo (first one) was on telly recently and I watched a bit (sorry), and Sly Stallone drives across a bridge and through a road block. Brian Dennehy's cops were useless, only one car in the block, easily smashed, and it occurred to me that they've got a lot bigger and more imposing in the 40 years since. A director nowadays would demand trucks and machine gun placements, the works, not just a few scattered hurdles from an athletics track. If you give the audience a low budget road block today, they'll laugh. Still useless against a hero on a mission, of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X