No announcement yet.

Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sporting most of the time they're going into their own place.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
      SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

See also final series of Big Bang Theory
      Not quite. Raj ended up single.

They had that whole thing about Penny not wanting a baby and then she changed her mind after they jumped forward a few months. That felt a bit clumsy, but it set up a surprise that made the fans happy. (Or, at least, the fans in the studio audience.) Certainly, that’s better than if they were trying to have a baby and then the surprise was that she couldn’t. That wouldn’t be a very happy ending.

Cheers ended with Sam realizing the bar was the love of his life. That was satisfying. The show could have wrapped up a few seasons before it did, but it ended well.

Comment

I realise that it's necessary to keep the narrative going, but when people switch the lights off in their bedroom to go to sleep, dark blue light (presumably coming through a window) illuminates the room.

Comment

Rom Com trope: the guy can have done ghastly deceptions, pretending to be somebody else to mislead and set up the woman (initially because he hates her), and still she'll gratefully fall in his arms instead of coming to the natural conclusion that this cad is not trustworthy and therefore best avoided. (cf. Pillow Talk; You've Got Mail)

Comment

That can apply to women too. Ex: While You Were Sleeping.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
              I realise that it's necessary to keep the narrative going, but when people switch the lights off in their bedroom to go to sleep, dark blue light (presumably coming through a window) illuminates the room.
              Ahh, good old Hollywood Darkness. Of all the cliches on this thread, this is one of the most pervasive aspects of film 'grammar' that I used to just tune out automatically, but now can't ever see without it seeming ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                Yes, that annoys me - like, how can anyone sleep with all that light?

Characters that don’t close their curtains before going to bed do my head in, too.

Comment

I've thought about starting a thread on this in the past but wasn't sure how to phrase it. Not just the blue light in sit coms but other methods, like LotR's floodlights in the distance and historical methods like a blue filter even if you can see the sun in the sky. I'm sure there are others.

It is a real issue with film though as proper dark means you're doing a radio show.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    Yes, that annoys me - like, how can anyone sleep with all that light?

Characters that don’t close their curtains before going to bed do my head in, too.
                    Maybe they like morning light, or simply like to see what's outside.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Not only that, they can be fearing for their lives, hiding indoors from the bad guys who are searching for them, and still not close the curtains. Or they can be the bad guys, murdering somebody, and still not close the curtains. Basically movie people hate curtains.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
                        I've thought about starting a thread on this in the past but wasn't sure how to phrase it. Not just the blue light in sit coms but other methods, like LotR's floodlights in the distance and historical methods like a blue filter even if you can see the sun in the sky. I'm sure there are others.

It is a real issue with film though as proper dark means you're doing a radio show.
                        They did natural lighting really well in Wolf Hall but it would have a been a major effort I’m sure. Generally though I find a lot of modern drama series too bloody dark.

Comment

One of the many advantages of living on the 19th floor of a building across the street from a park and about 50 metres from the river is that we only need to close ours at the peak of afternoon sun. Though we do tend to get up early.

Comment

I don't even have curtains

Comment

Also you have the hollywood candle, where a single flame will illuminate the whole room rather than the 2 foot radius it actually would.

Comment

I haven’t checked, but I imagine it will stay the same height for an inordinate amount of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

Maybe they like morning light, or simply like to see what's outside.
                                  What tee rex said, basically. Being able to see what’s outside isn’t really part of the equation when I’m going to sleep, but whatever butters one’s muffin...

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
                                  I don't even have curtains
                                  If you lived where I do, you probably would.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                    Also you have the hollywood candle, where a single flame will illuminate the whole room rather than the 2 foot radius it actually would.
                                    Indeed – TV Tropes, whose 'Hollywood Darkness' page I linked to above, calls this the 'Nuclear Candle'.

Speaking of candles, great point from Sits re: Wolf Hall. I think they lit the entire production entirely with natural light and candles, didn't they? I seem to recall the latter part of it was definitely a massive technical challenge, possibly including special cameras/lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                      Indeed – TV Tropes, whose 'Hollywood Darkness' page I linked to above, calls this the 'Nuclear Candle'.

Speaking of candles, great point from Sits re: Wolf Hall. I think they lit the entire production entirely with natural light and candles, didn't they? I seem to recall the latter part of it was definitely a massive technical challenge, possibly including special cameras/lenses.
                                      Kubrick managed it with Barry Lyndon in the 70s

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                        Kubrick managed it with Barry Lyndon in the 70s
                                        Oh, hang on, that's something I've heard only recently too – and might well actually be what I was thinking of just now!

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                          Ahh, good old Hollywood Darkness. Of all the cliches on this thread, this is one of the most pervasive aspects of film 'grammar' that I used to just tune out automatically, but now can't ever see without it seeming ludicrous.
                                          I think it’s one of those things that audience is supposed to go along with for the purposes of following the story. I seem to recall seeing that mostly in multicam sitcoms, which are already “stagey” in lots of ways.

Comment

Oh, yes, unquestionably it is something we're meant to just go along with. As I said, I used to, like most people. The trouble with 'wising up' to these conventions is that once seen, you can't unsee it. Like the teal-and-orange colour grading on films (and increasingly TV), where not only is the (night) lighting and/or shadows bright blue but people's faces are still glowing orange at the same time, which is a whole different class of absurd.

Comment

On the subject of curtains, most Spanish people who stay in private British homes say they are far too thin and let light in too early in the morning. Shutters are pretty much ubiquitous here, thus avoiding this problem.

Comment

Shutters are also ubiquitous in Italy

Comment

I thought the knock against Wolf Hall was that it didn't do the sound recording in the usual way so everything sounded mumbled. Or was that Poldark?

Comment

The amount of whispering and mumbling in modern drama is ridiculous. As someone with hearing loss, it's impossible to follow most dialogue, which is why I mainly watch documentaries.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X