Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie/TV clichés

Jah Womble wrote: A b/w movie staple: the terrified murder victim's screams will almost always be masked by the extended blast of a passing train or truck siren. (In family comedy films, this is often employed to eliminate conveniently a character's swearing.)

Originally posted by Sits
    Whenever characters in TV drama go to karaoke they are always infuriatingly flat, tone deaf and completely unaware of their crapness.

Sometime at real karaoke there are actually people who can hold a note. And when real people are flat at karaoke it's never as annoying as the dramatised version.
    I think it's more that 'karaoke' is usually a celluloid byword for 'naff'. Having people that could actually sing would rather undermine this.
    In my, albeit limited, experience. Having people that can actually sing undermines the experience in reality. I don't want to hear somebody do a passable cover version of a pop song. Where's the value in that? A drunk making an ass of themselves is far more entertaining.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Sits wrote: Sometime at real karaoke there are actually people who can hold a note. And when real people are flat at karaoke it's never as annoying as the dramatised version.
      Maybe you should watch Duets with Gwyneth Paltrow. (And Huey Lewis.)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

The evil henchman who says absolutely nothing during the entire two hours of the movie. Except a second before he dies, when he inevitably utters the word "Shit".

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Been watching Spectre?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Have we done evil crime boss / criminal mastermind / general villain who kills the underlings who have failed him?

Best one of these is Jack Nicholson's Joker who asks his henchman, Bob, for his gun and then promptly shoots him with it.

The Force Awakens parodied that with Kylo Ren smashing up a room with his lightsaber.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Reed John wrote:
              Originally posted by Jah Womble
              A b/w movie staple: the terrified murder victim's screams will almost always be masked by the extended blast of a passing train or truck siren. (In family comedy films, this is often employed to eliminate conveniently a character's swearing.)

Originally posted by Sits
              Whenever characters in TV drama go to karaoke they are always infuriatingly flat, tone deaf and completely unaware of their crapness.

Sometime at real karaoke there are actually people who can hold a note. And when real people are flat at karaoke it's never as annoying as the dramatised version.
              I think it's more that 'karaoke' is usually a celluloid byword for 'naff'. Having people that could actually sing would rather undermine this.
              In my, albeit limited, experience. Having people that can actually sing undermines the experience in reality. I don't want to hear somebody do a passable cover version of a pop song. Where's the value in that? A drunk making an ass of themselves is far more entertaining.
              True, but what gets my goat is that actors betray the fact they are trying to sound crap. Most amateurs try to sound good, but miss. Like Les Dawson olaying the piano. Always imagined that was a really difficult act to pull off, and he was really an excellent pianist.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Eggchaser wrote: Been watching Spectre?
                Yup.

Although it is in The Avengers (The Fiennes/Thurman one) and I'm sure I spotted it in another film a year or two back.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Sits wrote: Like Les Dawson olaying the piano. Always imagined that was a really difficult act to pull off, and he was really an excellent pianist.
                  He really was. Someone explained it to me once as the player has to be really good, because you have to know precisely which notes you need to miss in order to make it sound wrong, yet still recognisable. To do that, you have to learn to play it properly and then learn where to play it wrongly.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Patrick Thistle wrote: Have we done evil crime boss / criminal mastermind / general villain who kills the underlings who have failed him?

Best one of these is Jack Nicholson's Joker who asks his henchman, Bob, for his gun and then promptly shoots him with it.

The Force Awakens parodied that with Kylo Ren smashing up a room with his lightsaber.
                    I mentioned this 4 years ago.

Have we done people who always say the same thing?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Just watching a truly dreadful US crime series called Leverage in which two adversaries are making veiled threats to each other while playing chess.

Needless to say, one of them said "checkmate" at the end of the scene.

I genuinely can't work out if this show is a deliberate parody or not. Either way it doesn't work.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Off screen, a nervous kid at a new school usually arrives before the class starts, and takes a seat somewhere out of the way.

On screen, they always arrive late, and are always introduced to a full class, before being assigned a seat which is always next to or in front of both the bully and the future best friend respectively.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

...or indeed the future sweetheart - who invariably is reluctantly going out with the bully at the beginning.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Whenever anyone has to do any work in a film, be it an overnight slog through some documents or a hard shift digging holes, there will always be a dissolve to the end of the process and either taking the specs off and rubbing the eyes, or wiping away the sweat accompanied by a 'Phew!'/sigh.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

To heighten any drama in a scene, or to ensure that any series or film keeps moving, look closely and note - nearly almost every fucking moment - the constant movement of a camera, even when the character in the scene is sitting behind a desk.

It may not appear as a cliche (because you're probably caught up in the moment), but watch that camera glide along, even when there appears to be no need for it.

American crime series appear to do this regularly.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Might have been said already, but any time there's a heart-to-heart conversation, someone whips out two rocks glasses (held in fingers-in-the-glasses style) and a bottle of whiskey.

This could happen in a police station, a law office, a living room, a kindergarten, a church, etc and nobody bats an eye.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Also, two guys / two girls / guy and girl/ girl and tree sloth walk into an [Irish] bar and say "Two beer" and get down to their heart to heart talk.

I'd love to hear it play out like...
                                  "Sure, draft or bottle?"
                                  "Uh...bottle."
                                  "Domestic? Import. Light?"
                                  "Oh, uh....import...light."
                                  "Okay, cuz I've got a nice Amstel Light that we're doing two-for-one this week..."
                                  Etc.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

WOM wrote: and say "Two beer" and get down to their heart to heart talk
                                    Do people with English as a first language really say "Two beer"?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

This one has probably been noted. Teen comes home late at night exasperated/infuriated/depressed about some relationship issue, slumps down hard on settee and absent-mindedly switches TV channels on the remote whilst looking angry and upset. Dad in dressing gown, white t-shirt and blue and white checked pyjama bottoms walks in eating a bowl of cheerios/raisin bran/lucky charms/other best selling US cereal and sits down.

- “Hard day huh?”
                                      - Teen says nothing and stares hard at TV.
                                      - Dad attempts to speak-
                                      - “I DON’T WANNA TALK ABOUT IT!!”
                                      - Dad gets up- “ok”
                                      - “It’s just, it’s just……[teen pours heart out]”
                                      - Dad explains some similar problem Mom and he had when they were teen’s age or a previous girlfriend who got away.
                                      - “Things will work themselves out”, or some other bland statement.
                                      - “Thanks Dad, I love you.”
                                      - “I love you too. Goodnight. Don’t stay up too late.”
                                      - “I won’t”

Dad walks out with cereal bowl and spoon still in hand, cuts to teen still sitting absent-mindedly switching channels but now with a slight smile on their face.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

You forgot the bit where the teen goes to the fridge before sitting down, opens the door and swigs orange juice directly from the bottle.

Or is that only at breakfast (normally after they've got up so late that they have to run out of the house with half a slice of toast in their mouth)?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

treibeis wrote:
                                          Originally posted by WOM
                                          and say "Two beer" and get down to their heart to heart talk
                                          Do people with English as a first language really say "Two beer"?
                                          TV people do, but they really don't get it, do they?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

treibeis wrote: You forgot the bit where the teen goes to the fridge before sitting down, opens the door and swigs orange juice directly from the bottle.

Or is that only at breakfast (normally after they've got up so late that they have to run out of the house with half a slice of toast in their mouth)?
                                            "Don't forget your bag. And remember you've got practice tonight!"

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

"And this, corrupt wealthy criminal heads of crime families/evil consortiums, is how we will receive billions in cash should my master plan to envelope California in a sea of Bovril come to fruition. All I ask is for you to place £200,000,000 into the account number I will give you to confirm your co-operation."

"No, Doctor Fingerdrax, I have spoken to my advisors and we wish to withdraw from this plan."

"Hmm. I see. Well, if I cannot change your mind, then I bid you farewell. Silent, staring assistant who is really an assassin, would you kindly show Mr. Sakamoto to the pool of pirahnas. The car park! I meant the car park."

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

A deliberate thing in Bond movies. The bad guys eat. Bond just drinks.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Two work colleagues are at the point where their working relationship is crossing the line and becoming something more. In a closed office/alcove/quiet corridor, they are engaged in a quick illicit clinch, when in walks a colleague/assistant.

There is a momentary, awkward pause for just a fraction of a second, as the realisation suddenly dawns, then the colleague/assistant continues whatever they were going to say, making an extra effort to seem relaxed and normal.

There is an optional "Oh, sorry" which may be added in the final part.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

ian.64 wrote: "And this, corrupt wealthy criminal heads of crime families/evil consortiums, is how we will receive billions in cash should my master plan to envelope California in a sea of Bovril come to fruition. All I ask is for you to place £200,000,000 into the account number I will give you to confirm your co-operation."

"No, Doctor Fingerdrax, I have spoken to my advisors and we wish to withdraw from this plan."

"Hmm. I see. Well, if I cannot change your mind, then I bid you farewell. Silent, staring assistant who is really an assassin, would you kindly show Mr. Sakamoto to the pool of pirahnas. The car park! I meant the car park."
                                                    The hero is often directed towards the car park, but he works out the trap and arrives in the Final Boss Lair, to much surprise.

A prime example: The lift that turns into a one way slide to the shark tank in The Spy Who Loved Me.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X