X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie/TV clichés

willie1foot wrote:
    Originally posted by Geoffrey de Ste. Croix
    ....two boiled eggs with butter mashed into the bottom of a cup- my mum's miracle cure for any off school causing maladies.
    Ahhhh....memories. Said concoction was imaginatively known in my household as 'egg mixed up in a cup' and was used to cure all manner of ills, ranging from a slight sniffle to full-blown bubonic plague. Lovely stuff. Did your Mum have a proper name for this GdSC?
    Ah, I’m getting all Proustian about the old egg-and-cup too. My mum called it “eggy cup”, somewhat matter-of-factly. There was also always that cut-off point when you could ask for solids without fear of being sent back to school. Neighbours was a good demarcation point, as was some dreary offering “from Pebble Mill”. I think I could probably hold down a bacon roll now… maybe some hot dogs. If you had skills – and this was rare – you could turn it around from death-bed/summon the priest, to being allowed out to play footie after tea. As I said, though, that required Brando-like acting chops.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Known in our house as "eggy mix" - sometimes the egg had a bit of tomato chopped through too (mmmmmm!)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

In the sprit of this thread (well, this part of the thread) I had an eggy cup when I got in from the boozer last night. I went a bit vicar-for-tea, though, and dolloped the lot onto a buttery crumpet (stop it). It was good, but there was something missing. Maybe the introduction of a secondary vessel was a mistake.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

willie1foot wrote:
          ....two boiled eggs with butter mashed into the bottom of a cup- my mum's miracle cure for any off school causing maladies.
          Ahhhh....memories. Said concoction was imaginatively known in my household as 'egg mixed up in a cup' and was used to cure all manner of ills, ranging from a slight sniffle to full-blown bubonic plague. Lovely stuff. Did your Mum have a proper name for this GdSC?
          Very prosaic in our house willie- mashed eggs with butter it was called. I've just realised that this is the most boring thing I have ever written on the internet, my other 300 odd posts on WSC notwithstanding.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote:
            Originally posted by willie1foot
            Very prosaic in our house willie- mashed eggs with butter it was called. I've just realised that this is the most boring thing I have ever written on the internet, my other 300 odd posts on WSC notwithstanding.
            You’re being too hard on yourself, man: this kind of thing is the marrow of life, the building-blocks of enlightenment, true. What more do you want?

Speaking of which, poetry deserves a sub-section. There are only five poets in Western Cinema, the number picks up the further east you go, until you hit Russia, then the number comes down again.

A love of poetry marks one as a homosexual /closet homosexual /unctuous long-scarf-wearing/blonde man-bob-sporting professor. Movie poets never look like Larkin. (Sub-clause: characters that look like Larkin will love/secretly-cry-at poetry. Alas, they will be repressed and/or married to an overbearing woman and therefore must keep their passion under lock-and-key. Only a maid "of colour"/homeless man/”special” child can unlock this love. The flying of kites/racing of street-carts/sailing of boats will feature at some point during this awakening.)

Moving on. Jocks who want to impress girls will try and learn a poem. This will be conducted in a constant state of agitation/exclamation and through sun-squinted eyes. They will always – always – give up by sending said tome sailing across the dorm, cursing “ you fuqing fagot." Serial-killer movies are an exception to the rule. To be a serial killer you can only know one stanza of poetry; that poet must be Blake (Shelley written in innards just doesn’t work). Stephen Fry will have been in half of these films.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

I've just had a 'madeleine' moment without the madeleine. We only watched 'Crown Court' when we were off sick from school, and we were only allowed to eat Heinz tomato soup, with a bit of bread on the side, because of us being sick and all that.

For those who haven't a clue what the fuck I'm wittering on about.
              Heinz cream of chicken for me. And I've just scrolled fwd to the end of that episode to confirm that Crown Court had two different theme tunes:

'portentous, impending drama' tune at the beginning and 'wistful, contemplative' at the end.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

This thread has evolved into five Scotsmen talking about boiled eggs and soup.

There's a joke in there somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Ha! Ha!

Maybe if I add that in our house it was called 'beat-up egg'...?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

[quote=Felicity, I guess so post=714570]
                    And I've just scrolled fwd to the end of that episode to confirm that Crown Court had two different theme tunes:

'portentous, impending drama' tune at the beginning and 'wistful, contemplative' at the end.
                    Opening theme - Janacek's Sinfonietta, 4th movement. Closing theme - 'Distant Hills' by the Simon Park Orchestra, a 'B' side to Eye Level - the theme from 'Van der Valk'.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

(By some ghoulish coincidence, 'Eye Level' was on the radio as I read that...)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

[quote]Vicarious Thrillseeker wrote:
                        Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so
                        And I've just scrolled fwd to the end of that episode to confirm that Crown Court had two different theme tunes:

Opening theme - Janacek's Sinfonietta, 4th movement. Closing theme - 'Distant Hills' by the Simon Park Orchestra, a 'B' side to Eye Level - the theme from 'Van der Valk'.
                        Those are pretty evocative 'A' and 'B' sides - like we're still in the 70s. Crown Court was indeed the apogee of Skive TV, although The Sullivans wasn't far behind.

I was fascinated to read about "mashed up egg and butter in a cup" which I never experienced. We were given one of a possible four Heinz varieties (tomato, chicken, mushroom, oxtail) with a piece of dry bread, if Mum was in charge. If it was my stepfather I think he used the "hangover cure" philosophy as it would be a fried egg sandwich.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

[quote]Sits With Remote wrote:
                          Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker
                          Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so

Those are pretty evocative 'A' and 'B' sides - like we're still in the 70s. Crown Court was indeed the apogee of Skive TV, although The Sullivans wasn't far behind.

I was fascinated to read about "mashed up egg and butter in a cup" which I never experienced. We were given one of a possible four Heinz varieties (tomato, chicken, mushroom, oxtail) with a piece of dry bread, if Mum was in charge. If it was my stepfather I think he used the "hangover cure" philosophy as it would be a fried egg sandwich.
                          "Mushroom soup? From a chicken? Now that’s devotion for you."

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Oh, and most foreign films – Italian/French/Russian/Japanese/etc. – have English words at the foot of the screen illustrating what the protagonists are saying.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

blameless wrote: Known in our house as "eggy mix" - sometimes the egg had a bit of tomato chopped through too (mmmmmm!)
                              Tomato? You must have come from a posh area... don't mess with a classic

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Felicity, I guess so wrote: Ha! Ha!

Maybe if I add that in our house it was called 'beat-up egg'...?
                                ....and you must have come from a rough area..... even the eggs weren't safe!

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Two involving deaths:

If a character is telling another character a family story and announces that a close relative or loved one is now deceased, the other character will always say "I'm sorry." Never "Oh shit" or "That's a bummer" or even "Oh, really sorry to hear that" but always "I'm sorry".

If a character dies suddenly, the first character to arrive will crouch, check the pulse, usually in the neck, then turn to all and sundry and shake their head. They never say "He's carked it" or "Oh shit he's snuffed it" let alone "He's dead" - a shake of the head will always suffice.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

When two people are in serious conversation, the ultimate plot-exploding revelation that one of them will just be on the verge of uttering will be spoken by another, almost always the villain of the piece, as he enters the room.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Wars are affairs that end after so many years or seemingly continue with no conclusion in sight. Alien invasions or attacks on the Earth by beings from another dimension, however, who have powers or weapons that could wipe out entire species and dwarf its armies, seem to be over and defeated in the time it takes to paint your house.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

When hard-bitten characters smoke, the camera often moves into ultra-close-up so we see the glow as they inhale, and hear the crackle of the glowing cigarette tip.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

When someone - and it's usually a woman - finds a dead body or comes across a scene of gruesome murder, the gender of the person finding it usually helps as it needs a woman to then deliver an ear-splitting scream of horror which will be accompanied by a swift cut to a whistling kettle or the blare of a speeding train, or any object capable of a similar loud-enough noise that can replicate a woman's terrified shriek.

It's very rarely that this happens to a bloke in the same circumstances.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Men in American dramas will always listen stoically as a friend, spouse or ex lover delivers an analysis of their shortcomings, usually related to how emotionally stunted and dysfunctional they are, and "I don't even know you anymore". They will not interject at any point nor try to defend themselves by pointing out that they've just saved x number of lives or have a fairly demanding job that is paying for the house they are living in, actually, and they never, ever say, "oh yeh? Well what about you? Actually fuck this, I'm off for a pint.". They will just look pensive for a few moments then get on with business.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Any film made after 2002 will be about two-and-a-half hours long, irrespective of subject matter. Note: all films mentioned will be half-an-hour longer if they are directed by Christopher Nolan. (Funny People, an Adam Sandler vehicle, will clock in at 146 minutes, ruining dates and ending marriages for a sizeable part of the summer of 2009.)

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Why overwork yourself thinking when this wonderful wiki has them all and more?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Jah Womble wrote: Every seventies US cop show/movie was compelled to contain at least one scene in which the sleuth's findings took him into a disco - in which a slew of Afro-sporting punters would be seriously gettin' down to a song you'd never heard in your life.
                                                  If you ignore the Afro bit you can say that cliché made it to the 90s alive and well.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

ian.64 wrote: She may be annoying, she may be intrusive – but she gets results. Incidentally (and I don’t mean to derail the thread), I’ve been on a Murder, She Wrote kick for about a month now. It’s driving my girlfriend batty, but there something about a septuagenarian in pearls solving crimes that really does it for me. It’s nowt kinky, mind, I think it’s because it's so gentle/lightly clichéd that I can watch it in a kind of trance. The Cabot Cove coma. It also reminds me of being ill/skiving from school. I’d like to see her broaden her remit, though; maybe tackle some yardie/gangland pliers ‘n’ blow-torch executions.

That's what I thought what was most peculiar of Murder She Wrote, the very clean and antiseptic nature of the crimes: almost no pools of blood, with the bodies just lying there with little or no wounds on their persons. The clean-up units must have got things sorted, post-murder, in about ten minutes. Not for Jessica Fletcher the task of finding out who severed the torso of the attorney with his head placed in a bin-liner. Prime-time family viewing, of course (if murder was something the whole family could watch), but most of the victims in MSW must have walked around with a paper cup's worth of blood in their bodies.
                                                    You need to look at the show's target demographics. Old folks are not too keen on gore.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X