Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Or that big lake in Washington next to the monument. Perfect place to meet spies out in the open.

The one first to sit on the bench is the first to get up and leave. Always.
    It's a wide shot of DC and then suddenly they're sitting on a bench in Toronto and then zoom back out to DC.

Comment

I'm not sure I mentioned this:

[Usually a woman] "I'm going with you"
      [Hero, usually male] "No you're not, it's too dangerous/I promised your father I'd keep you safe."
      [Usually a woman] "Like hell I'm not...[another explanation of her character's driving motivation]."

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        I'm not sure I mentioned this:

[Usually a woman] "I'm going with you"
        [Hero, usually male] "No you're not, it's too dangerous/I promised your father I'd keep you safe."
        [Usually a woman] "Like hell I'm not...[another explanation of her character's driving motivation]."
        Hero insists on leaving Usually A Woman behind. Gets into serious danger with the Bad Guy. Then a shot rings out and the Bad Guy falls forward revealing... Usually A Woman who has followed Hero into danger anyway and has now saved his life.

Comment

The variation of that is being saved by the side-kick, love interest and/or another character - possibly somebody that was a villain earlier - that the hero knew had come to the fight but assumed was dead or, at least, knocked out earlier in the fight.

That trope works well because, with very few exceptions, The Hero is not going to be killed and everyone in the audience knows that and the creators know that we know it.

So the only way to create dramatic tension is to at least ensure that The Hero (the character, not the actor) believes they are in real peril before being saved by the love interest/sidekick/villain turned anti-hero.

Comment

If you don't fancy meeting in the open air then you can always go and lurk in a parking structure. Although there is a much higher risk of being shot by shadowy assailants.
            Or run down by a car, hurtling through the car park at top speed.

Comment

Always a black Mercedes.

Comment

When the hero(ine) is trapped underwater they are able to:

(a) Hold their breath as long as a pearl diver;
                (b) See clearly despite not having goggles.

©Spooks 2006

Comment

A raucous feast in olden times: could be any barbarians, Vikings, outlaws ... they only need to be people who don't use knives and forks.

The food featured will be a very large drumstick, certainly much bigger than the ones I find in supermarkets. It will be brandished to make a point, a boast, a threat, a roar. Always with the drumstick in hand. After the words, the speaker will take a large, ferocious bite.

Big bites send a message. "I am the alpha male". You can't do that with nibbles.

It could also be taking a sizeable chunk out of an apple. I often wonder how many takes - and therefore fresh apples - they need.
                  Last edited by tee rex; 26-02-2022, 06:05.

Comment

There needs to be copious clanking of tankards, and perhaps a brawl, while a poor dead pig is turned on a spit in a huge blazing fireplace.

Comment

Meanwhile humans caught by primitive cannibals will be put into a giant cast iron pot that would require a blast furnace and industrial smelting to manufacture.

Comment

Warrior women have armour sculpted to accommodate their boobs. Strangely armour always lifts and separates.

Comment

4D38285B-9466-4467-88EC-1C274E9A68D6.jpgI think that was heavily influenced by the art of Frank Frazetta, Boris Vallejo, and Barry Windsor Smith in the 70s and 80s.

But it may have earlier precedent in earlier romantic depictions of Norse and Germanic characters. I’m not sure.

There is this statue in Iceland of Freydis Eiriksdottir, (see above). It sort of looks like what you are describing, but I’m not sure when the statue was built.

Vikings leans heavily on the idea that lots of women fought alongside viking men. The evidence for that isn’t enormous, but at least they don’t dress like Red Sonja.

Freydis is in the new Vikings series, played by a literal supermodel. But her costume is more practical.

I suspect Vikings smelled like campfire smoke and wet wool most of the time.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-02-2022, 19:21.

Comment

There's an interesting takedown of boob-shaped armour on YouTube by Jill Bearup. She also rips the piss out of women in combat boots with high heels.

All the statues and chest plates in museums date from the 19th century. Viking warriors wore mailshirts if they wore armour at all. It's unlikely they would have had full plate.

Comment

Indeed.

There weren’t YouTube videos nitpicking Wagnerian operas for their anachronisms. I’m not sure anyone really knew, or could have known, what people 1,000 years ago wore.

Vikings has been nitpicked for showing what appears to be leather armor. (Probably made of plastic of some kind). At least one of those nitpickers said that’s inaccurate but another I read said they may have worn it but it wouldn’t last in the archeology sites.

But it looks cool and it show who the warriors are.

Anyway, it’s interesting to me that our species knows so little about our own ancestors. 1,000-2,000 years isn’t very long in the grand sweep of things.
                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 27-02-2022, 20:05.

Comment

Oh for those halcyon days of yesteryear, when popular differences about high culture resulted only in riots leaving dozens dead.

https://shakespeareandbeyond.folger....beth-new-york/

Comment

She also rips the piss out of women in combat boots with high heels

I’ve never seen that.

Unless they mean boots with a raised heel, but that is functional.

https://nicksboots.com/blog/post/sho...-a-raised-heel

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Oh for those halcyon days of yesteryear, when popular differences about high culture resulted only in riots leaving dozens dead.

https://shakespeareandbeyond.folger....beth-new-york/
                                    That’s like if the online disputes about the Star Wars sequels led to actual bloodshed.

Comment

Pinker will add that as an example of how we have become less violent as a species in the next edition of his book

Comment

As our gun violence thread shows, disputes over less-important matters lead to bloodshed every day.

Comment

That’s like if the online disputes about the Star Wars sequels led to actual bloodshed.
                                          Hearing about yet more spinoffs etc sometimes makes me feel like I'm bleeding internally

Comment

She also rips the piss out of women in combat boots with high heels

I’ve never seen that.

Unless they mean boots with a raised heel, but that is functional.

https://nicksboots.com/blog/post/sho...-a-raised-heel
                                            Yeah, wedge heels.

Here's one of Jill's videos all about them.

https://youtu.be/ZTmTnWHXWqs

Comment

And here's a longer more recent video by Jill called "These Shoes Will Kill You."

https://youtu.be/LmfqjgNlj7Y

Comment

Yeah, wedge heels.

Here's one of Jill's videos all about them.

https://youtu.be/ZTmTnWHXWqs
                                                Oh, I see.

I was thinking of real combat boots and/or logger boots that have a pronounced heel to add support and traction, especially if you’re climbing trees.

That might be a better choice for superheroines.

Comment

Well as Jill says, cavalry boots need heels. It's particularly the heighteners used for shorter actresses (including Gal Gadot apparently) that attract her ire.
                                                  Last edited by Patrick Thistle; 28-02-2022, 08:41.

Comment

Is your character staying in a cheap motel/hotel?

Then their room window will be right next to the flashing neon sign, which will intermittently illuminate the room, possibly accompanied by a buzzing sound. Curtains are not used.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X