No announcement yet.

Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The orange-blue thing is to create contrast and make the people in the shot stand out. I haven’t really noticed it’s a problem. But maybe in 20 years it will be out of style.

If you can’t hear, turn on the subtitles. I do that even though I don’t have any particular hearing issue.
    Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 21-06-2020, 16:22.

Comment

It was a BBC adaptation of Jamaica Inn which was the most notable mumblefest in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
        The amount of whispering and mumbling in modern drama is ridiculous. As someone with hearing loss, it's impossible to follow most dialogue, which is why I mainly watch documentaries.
        This. An example: Mrs. S’ hearing isn’t what it was, and as a big fan of Downton Abbey she got fed up with not being able to understand what Elizabeth McGovern was saying.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          It was a BBC adaptation of Jamaica Inn which was the most notable mumblefest in recent years.
          And very dark. Which was authentic, as was making characters actually look dirty/bedraggled. But tbh it made it less fun to watch. So basically the TV/movie makers can’t win. It wasn’t a very good series but authenticity was its strong point. It was raining most of the time which as anyone who’s been to Cornwall regularly knows, is a lot more realistic than Poldark’s glorious sunshine.

Comment

When protagonists have enthusiastic sex and two minutes later are fully clad in pyjamas, or have put their bra back on.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
              Rom Com trope: the guy can have done ghastly deceptions, pretending to be somebody else to mislead and set up the woman (initially because he hates her), and still she'll gratefully fall in his arms instead of coming to the natural conclusion that this cad is not trustworthy and therefore best avoided. (cf. Pillow Talk; You've Got Mail)
              In fairness, TV and film are just following in our greatest dramatic traditions. If you saw what the men got away with in Shakespeare with Taming of the Shrew and Two Gentlemen of Verona, the guys in the films you quote are pretty upstanding by comparison.

Comment

Totally down with the 'mumblefest' observation. My hearing definitely isn't what it once was, either, but even so, I'm cranking the volume up to 50+ for some of these shows (ie, compared to the average '25' of several years ago - and yes, I'm using the same TV).

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Totally down with the 'mumblefest' observation. My hearing definitely isn't what it once was, either, but even so, I'm cranking the volume up to 50+ for some of these shows (ie, compared to the average '25' of several years ago - and yes, I'm using the same TV).
                  Good to see that you are adhering to the “volumes can only be set to multiples of 5 (or on rare occasions, even numbers) rule.

Comment

I'll concede that I had a strange '7' or '2' rule-of-thumb for some while. No idea why.

Comment

My tv volume tends to be on 7 in the evening. During the day it can range anywhere from 12-25 depending on how loud the kids are being.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarcon View Post
                        Good to see that you are adhering to the “volumes can only be set to multiples of 5 (or on rare occasions, even numbers) rule.
                        Haha, it would feel 'wrong' setting my TV volume to an odd number, unless it's a multiple of 5.

And I would feel deeply uncomfortable setting my computer's to an odd number, unless it's 1 and I just want to have the audio barely there e.g. late at night. Otherwise it's 2, 4, 6, 8, and only occasionally 10 or 12 or higher

If I get up to those sort of levels – such that quantity of the small volume bars on-screen isn't readily countable at a glance – and want to adjust the volume, I often have to reduce it right back to 6 or 4 first to make sure that it's definitely on an even number before I nudge it back to, say, 10.
                        Last edited by Various Artist; 22-06-2020, 12:59.

Comment

I'm sure I've said this before on another thread but...

You lot are weird

Comment

The volume can only be moved up and down in increments of 3. Everyone knows that.

Comment

3? Three?? You monster. That'd mean it ending up on things like... like 3. And 9. And 13. Ugh.

Comment

13?

Comment

God no, it has to be divisible by 3 as well, otherwise what would be the point?

Also, any alarms or timers I set, the digits have to add up to 9. (i.e. this morning's alarm was 5.22. Numbers are allowed to add up to 18, e.g 5.58, because 1+8).
                                  I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue if this rule were broken.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                    My tv volume tends to be on 7 in the evening. During the day it can range anywhere from 12-25 depending on how loud the kids are being.
                                    7? 7?? 7???

I can’t think of a worse number to have the volume set at, that is just wrong, wrong I tell you.

Comment

When I said '7', what I really meant was '27' - but now I have the volume set at '36' or '42' because '27' has become almost inaudible.

However, I have to reset the volume to '20' before I go to bed - for the simple reason that I re-tune to 6Music in the morning, and the radio channels on my Virgin Media TV are bloody loud by comparison. (To think that, just a few years ago, it used to be '10' for the radio...)

(Various - your 'math' is way off.)

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarcon View Post

7? 7?? 7???

I can’t think of a worse number to have the volume set at, that is just wrong, wrong I tell you.
                                        Blame Toshiba. It's their weird sound settings on their smart TVs.

Comment

So I'm the only one who has to adjust the volume up or down at least 10 times per episode?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                            So I'm the only one who has to adjust the volume up or down at least 10 times per episode?
                                            No. And why are adverts always louder?

Comment

There is actually a law to prevent that being the case here, but it is rarely (if ever) enforced.

WOM may have some inside knowledge.

Comment

It's sort of hacky and old-school to believe that you can blast your audience into paying attention to your ad / brand.

My issue is with the levels in shows. They go from a whispery scene to a shouty scene to a bar scene with background music and the volume levels are all over the map.

Comment

I may as well ask here: have commercials in the countries where posters live become significantly more Covid-influenced, whether in protagonists wearing masks, socially distancing, direct references to the virus etc? In Spain there has been a lot of this.

Comment

My volume is generally set to about 18 for regular network TV, but about 25 or so for network dramas (although their mixing is terrible and you get a sonic overload during music and action stuff, and can hardly hear the mumbly mumblecore bollocks during the dialogue - which is the only but you really want to hear). If I'm using Netflix or Amazon I need to ramp the volume up into the 40s.

Adverts may not be louder in terms of "peak" volume, but I think they're all mixed with every channel pushed up to 10 so that it's full on all the time and becomes so tiresome and tiring that I put the TV on mute. I'm not sure if this is their goal - to be so offensive that I start completely ignoring the ads altogether and then forget to unmute when the show restarts too so I also start ignoring that and instead stick my head in my phone and realise I really didn't want to be watching in the first place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X