Movie/TV clichés

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Movie/TV clichés

G-Man wrote: Samuel L. Jackson, now there's a cliché merchant, to the point of caricature. Though whjen he drops that too-cool-for-school shtick he can be an impressive actor.
    Yes. he's good in the Pulp Fiction sequels when he shaves his afro off and wears an eye patch. Less sweary though.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Stumpy Pepys wrote: I'm going off a very small sample size here, but I've noticed that — in any sort of action film — when our heroes have to do some hasty, DIY hairdressing on themselves, in order to fashion a disguise, it always comes out looking like they've spent two hours in Vidal Sassoon.
      I saw Gone Girl this weekend and I need to add it to the list. It also dawned on me that, for maximum effect, it needs to be done in a really skanky bathroom.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

what about prison break, where the main character at all times is sporting a perfect #1 blade cut.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Crime drama:

1. A mysterious death has occurred. Interviewed by the hero(ine), someone close to the victim starts talking about them in the present tense, then corrects themselves. "Philip is... was a wonderful boy."

2. Someone is missing in mysterious circumstances. Interviewed by the hero(ine), someone close to the missing person immediately draws suspicion on themselves by referring to the missing person in the past tense, then correcting themselves. "We were all... are all very fond of Philip."

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Giggler wrote: "No, of course darling, everything's FINE!"

The two characters then hug, but the camera focuses on the face of the character who said the above line as they stare, wide-eyed and worried. They're not fine at all. there's something very wrong here.
            This.

We even discussed this in a script-writing course I went on as it is actually a look that is pretty much made up by soap writers.

The other cliche in soaps is when there is a party and the only regulars involved are the ones called in for that episode and the rest are extras.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Too cryptic? Sorry, thought someone might pick up on it. OK (deep breath) – this is a real bête noire of mine, with the added irony of there being no sodding noire in sight.

Teal and fucking orange.

It's a recent but now inescapable phenomenon where bludgeoningly unimaginative digital colour grading of movies pushes all the shadows into the teal-blue 'moonlight' end of the spectrum and all the highlights into the golden-orange look of 'magic hour', creating an entirely, impossibly bicoloured world. There's almost no genuine white or black to be found, good luck locating a genuine red, and note even the Hulk above barely looks green now, despite your average movie poster making the colours much stronger.
                  It makes my head hurt when watching almost any film, and increasingly TV shows and adverts as well, because the combination is so unnatural. It makes people look either sickly and unhealthy or blazing and oily – or, to take a particularly unfortunate example I've seen, Nicolas Cage in Knowing, literally wooden. Directors and set designers have also taken the next step of making everything on screen physically match one of these two colours, so everyone is walking around in blueish-turquoise clothes whilst filling their surroundings with implausibly high percentages of orange curtains, cushions, wall art, ringbinders, coffee cups, you name it.

Brilliant news for ginger-haired, blue-eyed actors, in other words, but awful for everyone else. It makes me feel bilious, and makes everything look the same. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read this – but be warned, once you've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it's everywhere. Except, mercifully and in contrast to Bored's example above, in soap operas funnily enough, which are still keen to look like 'real life'.

As for so much in life, I blame Michael Bay:

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Well if we're blaming Michael Bay for stuff, how about really long fight scenes where you can't really see what's going on and it just seems to be all noise?

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Or the Transformers movies, as they're known. Ba-dum-tish.

But yes, absolutely, I'll second you on that one.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

A highly successful actor, earlier:

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Patrick Thistle wrote: how about really long fight scenes where you can't really see what's going on and it just seems to be all noise?
                          I just get angry and switch these off, or leave if possible. CGI has a lot to do with this. You can always see what's going on if something is real.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Double post.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Velvet Human wrote: Too cryptic? Sorry, thought someone might pick up on it. OK (deep breath) – this is a real bête noire of mine, with the added irony of there being no sodding noire in sight.

Teal and fucking orange.

It's a recent but now inescapable phenomenon where bludgeoningly unimaginative digital colour grading of movies pushes all the shadows into the teal-blue 'moonlight' end of the spectrum and all the highlights into the golden-orange look of 'magic hour', creating an entirely, impossibly bicoloured world. There's almost no genuine white or black to be found, good luck locating a genuine red, and note even the Hulk above barely looks green now, despite your average movie poster making the colours much stronger.
                              It makes my head hurt when watching almost any film, and increasingly TV shows and adverts as well, because the combination is so unnatural. It makes people look either sickly and unhealthy or blazing and oily – or, to take a particularly unfortunate example I've seen, Nicolas Cage in Knowing, literally wooden. Directors and set designers have also taken the next step of making everything on screen physically match one of these two colours, so everyone is walking around in blueish-turquoise clothes whilst filling their surroundings with implausibly high percentages of orange curtains, cushions, wall art, ringbinders, coffee cups, you name it.

Brilliant news for ginger-haired, blue-eyed actors, in other words, but awful for everyone else. It makes me feel bilious, and makes everything look the same. If you don't know what I'm talking about, read this – but be warned, once you've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it's everywhere. Except, mercifully and in contrast to Bored's example above, in soap operas funnily enough, which are still keen to look like 'real life'.

As for so much in life, I blame Michael Bay:
                              I mentioned the teal and orange thing with regard to Star Wars. It's totally out of control and used inappropriately in a range of films.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

You're right. Now I can't unsee it.

DC's legends of tomorrow

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

The dog usually survives

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Turner & Hooch is superior to K9 (the film with John Belushi in not the Dr Who sidekick) simply because it breaks that cliche.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Oh, cheers, spoiler alert.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

I watched (ironically, OK?) Fifty Shades of Grey this weekend, and it was obvious it was going to be terrible from very early on: Ana is about to interview Grey and parks on the street right at the front and center of the skyscraper where his office is located. Ugh, so lazy of the director.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Whenever characters in TV drama go to karaoke they are always infuriatingly flat, tone deaf and completely unaware of their crapness.

Sometime at real karaoke there are actually people who can hold a note. And when real people are flat at karaoke it's never as annoying as the dramatised version.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

I tried to find this on TV Tropes but they don't have a category.

It's a sitcom thing. Basically, some characters are getting married and the writers need roles for all the other main characters in the wedding. One of the main characters has always been ordained on the internet or soemthing and ends up taking the wedding.

The archetype for this would be Friends where Joey performed two weddings. But they did it recently on Brooklyn Nine Nine and I'm pretty sure they did it on Big Bang Theory as well.

I'm not sure what the ruling is in other countries but in the UK I think it's true that anyone can conduct a wedding service whether or not they have been ordained. The legal bit is the signing of the Register that needs to be overseen by a Registrar. Some churches have their own rules regarding who can perform weddings but that's a different issue.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

I don't want to see any film where the dog dies.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

Patrick Thistle wrote:
                                                I'm not sure what the ruling is in other countries but in the UK I think it's true that anyone can conduct a wedding service whether or not they have been ordained. The legal bit is the signing of the Register that needs to be overseen by a Registrar. Some churches have their own rules regarding who can perform weddings but that's a different issue.
                                                Yep, true. The only legally required bit of a civil ceremony is the signing of the Register, which must be done by a Registrar. Other than that, the actual ceremony can be whatever the couple want it to be - although the Registrar may make certain objections, for instance including religious content in a civil ceremony.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

How about this trope:

Main star/action hero/superhero whose name is in the title about to set off on a dangerous adventure.

Love interest/scientist's daughter/sidekick: I'm coming with you!
                                                  MSAHSWNIITT: No! It's too dangerous!
                                                  LISDSK: I'm invested in this too! (except doesn't say "invested.")
                                                  MSAHSWNIITT: My job is to keep you safe!!!
                                                  LSDSK: I can handle myself. [shows she knows how to load a gun or whatever]
                                                  And Scene.

I reckon about 10% of all filmed media ever is taken up with scenes like that.

Comment

Movie/TV clichés

A b/w movie staple: the terrified murder victim's screams will almost always be masked by the extended blast of a passing train or truck siren. (In family comedy films, this is often employed to eliminate conveniently a character's swearing.)

Sits wrote: Whenever characters in TV drama go to karaoke they are always infuriatingly flat, tone deaf and completely unaware of their crapness.

Sometime at real karaoke there are actually people who can hold a note. And when real people are flat at karaoke it's never as annoying as the dramatised version.
                                                    I think it's more that 'karaoke' is usually a celluloid byword for 'naff'. Having people that could actually sing would rather undermine this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X